Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It IS 2 tons of car with ridiculous torque and aggressive regen from a manufacturer not exactly known for their driving feel or feedback...

I got some funny looks when I test drove a Y LR, told the Tesla Employees that it was one of the most detached experiences I've ever had in a car but that I still wanted to proceed with ordering a Y Performance.

I've come to terms with redefining my expectations of driving EVs. I'm probably going to retain geared, naturally aspirated ICE cars for the rest of my life (for pleasure), but even in the Taycan Turbo S Sport Turismo I test drove...it felt like a much bigger car with all the weight of the battery moving around and being ever-present in the turn/under braking. The torque/acceleration is addictive with EVs, but personally...the driving dynamics are not there at ALL. The Model Y is not terrible...but if you're coming from M Division BMW, AMG Mercedes, Porsche or even sportier Toyotas, Mazdas etc. you're not going to have a great time making direct comparisons regards trackability/cornering/handling of wind-y B-Roads.

Ask me which I'd want City Driving or at Traffic Lights, on a Motorway on-ramp or overtaking on an A-Road/Motorway (80%+ of my driving) and the EVs win every time - Clearly there was enough upside for me to throw £70k+ at a Model Y Performance!

I have never felt detached to the point of feeling unsafe (beyond feeling a sense of responsibility having a few tons of metal capable of rollercoaster levels of acceleration with less than stellar feedback). I'd probably recommend changing some settings regards 'throttle response', steering weight & regen to more closely replicate ICE until that feeling subsides!

It is 2 ton SUV with a low CoG, so not really like for like with M3/4. Similar power, but all instant - going to feel very different, especialy if your previous cars were rwd only. Also, most cars of recent years have very different steering feel - even BMW admit their steering is not what it used to be. It is, alfter all, a performance family SUV. I am still mulling keeping me P100D...

I've taken both comments onboard and I am very thankful for them. I did not realise its a 2 ton car. I did enjoy it yesterday on the motorway putting the foot down. It does come to light.

I went for a quick spin to the shop after reading this and I enjoyed it so much more. I'm not driving it without comparing it to a M3/M4 as those cars are race cars, much lighter. I went to Sport mode (used before) its just too aggressive for City roads. I wish the normal mode was slightly more aggressive than the sport. Or maybe Tesla have a middle ground between to the two.

There are options to change the regen breaking to Hold and other 2 options but I cannot select them. Has this option of changing been disabled?

The main reason I switched to tesla was the never ending possibilities of future improvements.
I have owned most makes of car over my time and they just age, Always something new comes out.
But with tesla it gets added on to previous cars, what’s not to like!

Reactions: Jamo77
For the lucky ones who took delivery a week or 2 ago at this stage, have the first impressions lasted?
Mine has a horrible vibration at speed, I noticed it first on the drive home from collection once it gets over 50mph. Going into SC next week. Apart from that, which is a major problem, its all good. Had Stealth PPF done last week, looks amazing (for me).

Mine has a horrible vibration at speed, I noticed it first on the drive home from collection once it gets over 50mph. Going into SC next week. Apart from that, which is a major problem, its all good. Had Stealth PPF done last week, looks amazing (for me).
Did you check the tyre pressures? If they are over filled that might cause something like this?

Bet it needs the wheels balanced
A weight may have dropped off
All normal .

Any pics of the stealth look.

I pick mine up on Thursday night/ Friday morning.

Did you check the tyre pressures? If they are over filled that might cause something like this?
They were at 46, I lowered them to 42, but allas no difference.

Bet it needs the wheels balanced
A weight may have dropped off
All normal .

Any pics of the stealth look.

I pick mine up on Thursday night/ Friday morning.

Hope its something simple but the steering wheel is not shaking like when fronts are out of ballance, there is more of a vibration in the whole car, perhaps rear wheels, don't know but Im hoping its an easy fix.

Here you go..

model_y_stealth.jpg

Hope its something simple but the steering wheel is not shaking like when fronts are out of ballance, there is more of a vibration in the whole car, perhaps rear wheels, don't know but Im hoping its an easy fix.

Here you go..

View attachment 882035
The last time I had that kind of wobble at speed, ATS had neglected to torque any of the wheel nuts on one of my wheels that they'd changed a tyre on. It was a company car and I could have been killed but their idea of compensation was to send a bunch of flowers to the lady from the Leasing company who complained about it..

Looks epic in that wrap, was the base colour white?

Wheels damaged. Only just noticed. One has been badly repaired by tesla prior to pickup. View attachment 882037View attachment 882038
Get on the app .
Log a service request .
Tell them you want 2 new wheels .

One of my wheels was damaged on pick up and there have been a few other people mention there’s.

It must be something they need to change in the transport from factory to customer.

But I would kick off !!!!!

Here you go..

View attachment 882035
Is base colour grey or black?

The last time I had that kind of wobble at speed, ATS had neglected to torque any of the wheel nuts on one of my wheels that they'd changed a tyre on. It was a company car and I could have been killed but their idea of compensation was to send a bunch of flowers to the lady from the Leasing company who complained about it..
Blimey thats terrible. The guys that did the PPF checked the wheel nuts and they are tight.

Looks epic in that wrap, was the base colour white?
Base colour is Midnight Silver 👍

Looks stunning 🤩

Cheers, here is another :)

Must say the panel gaps on this one are excellent, Tesla are definatly getting better in that department.

stealth_pp_yf.jpg

Reactions: sliyk and buggles
Blimey thats terrible. The guys that did the PPF checked the wheel nuts and they are tight.

Base colour is Midnight Silver 👍

Cheers, here is another :)

Must say the panel gaps on this one are excellent, Tesla are definatly getting better in that department.

View attachment 882045
I originally ordered grey and changed to black .

I hope I didn’t make a mistake.

I will put some pics on Friday.

Hope it looks as good as yours.❤️‍🔥🕶️

Here you go..

View attachment 882035
Have you removed the tesla number plate surrounds ?