Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! It's totally a first-world problem, and I'm lucky really to be in the position to get myself into this kerfuffle. I got the Model X on a 4-year personal PCP thingy back in 2017, when the company I run didn't have enough in the bank to buy it outright as a company car. Back then I hoped the Model 3/Y would be available by the time the large, final payment was due in 2021. As it got closer, it seemed the Model Y was on the horizon, and we didn't want to get a Model 3 when hopefully the Y was around the corner, so I took a director's loan to cover the final payment of about £51k, with the hope that the Model Y would get delivered before the loan was due, so I could sell the X and repay the loan.

That director's loan needs to be paid back to my company by 1st November, otherwise the company has to pay 33.5% of the loan amount in tax, which is about £17k. If I do this, and then eventually sell the Model X and repay the loan, HMRC will pay the tax back to the company, but it can take up to three years!

So the possibilities are:
• pigs start flying, and my RHD MYP is ready by 1st November
• sell the Model X before 1st November, and be without a large car with a sensible range for months (our other car is a 2013 Renault Zoe with a range of like 80 miles)
• don't repay the loan in time, and have £17k missing for years whilst HMRC drag their heels paying it back
• find some accountancy gymnastics that can be done to solve the situation!

On the up side, at least the Model X currently seems to be worth more than the £51k final payment I made.
Sell it to your company at the retail price , that will pay off directors loan and just pay 2% BIK

So I currently have had my 2020 M3P (without heat pump)for 2.5 years. Great car, which is why I have a MYP on order.

My drive to work is 120 miles each way, and I can’t charge it whilst there. In summer I can get there and back at 70 mph with about 30 miles to spare. In winter, even at 65 I have to stop and supercharge to get an extra 30 or 40 miles.
For reference a better route planner reckons I’ll get there with 49% remaining at 20 degrees c. So not too far from reality.

When I put the MYP into a better route planner I also get 49% in the same conditions. However, when I put the MYP with 4680 batteries in, I get 46%.
So how are these newer batteries better if they are less efficient, and give a lower range? I’d prefer to have to old ones in mine.

Am I missing something?

So I currently have had my 2020 M3P (without heat pump)for 2.5 years. Great car, which is why I have a MYP on order.

My drive to work is 120 miles each way, and I can’t charge it whilst there. In summer I can get there and back at 70 mph with about 30 miles to spare. In winter, even at 65 I have to stop and supercharge to get an extra 30 or 40 miles.
For reference a better route planner reckons I’ll get there with 49% remaining at 20 degrees c. So not too far from reality.

When I put the MYP into a better route planner I also get 49% in the same conditions. However, when I put the MYP with 4680 batteries in, I get 46%.
So how are these newer batteries better if they are less efficient, and give a lower range? I’d prefer to have to old ones in mine.

Am I missing something?
Weight of the car?🤔

I have been told by me lease company not to expect my MPY until at least December 2022, the original date when I ordered it last October was May/June 2022.

Fortunately the lease of my MP3 is just rolling over, but getting bored now as I've had the car 2.5 years.

I am seriously considering changing my order for a MYLR with the performance boost ........ am I mad to change now as it looks like the MYLR delivery is being quoted at November??

I have been told by me lease company not to expect my MPY until at least December 2022, the original date when I ordered it last October was May/June 2022.

Fortunately the lease of my MP3 is just rolling over, but getting bored now as I've had the car 2.5 years.

I am seriously considering changing my order for a MYLR with the performance boost ........ am I mad to change now as it looks like the MYLR delivery is being quoted at November??
EV car production and particularly Tesla, is going through a dynamic but volatile period of development. The current state of the world's economies driven down by the impact of unforeseen events; who foresaw a global pandemic or the awful aggression of Russia - in whom so many countries depend for fuel - against Ukraine, the bread basket of Europe, means that industry is, to some extent, held hostage to fortune.

I guess what I am saying is, anything can happen, for good or ill, over the next six months.

So, at the micro level, order a LR but keep the P order. Buy the first to arrive and cancel the tardy one.

Am I missing something?
Perhaps as it’s early days for the 4680 variant the data may not be as accurate at the moment?

I have a LR on order, so not an expert on this - however, I don’t believe Berlin is using 4680 yet? I think they’ve just done a single proof of concept build. Of course by the time they produce RHD they may be fully using it.

Am I missing something?
My commute is around 17 miles longer to that particular destination.

I've accepted I'll have to top up a little on the way home, but I'd have to do that in pretty much any of the eV's I could afford.

Would have loved an S and would almost put up with the wait but 🤑

Am I missing something?
There are no MYPs with 4680 cells so nobody knows the spec of them. The only 4680 battery cars are a limited number of cars made in Texas for the local market and they’re far from performance models, they’re more like standard range cars.

I expect this won't be news to the rest of you, but just in case it's useful to someone, I thought I'd let y'all know that I've got my email confirmation of the order update after adding the tow hitch. That said, it was showing up on the site a day or two ago. The reservation number didn't change. Maybe if you don't get your confirmation soon, now would be a good time to follow up with them.

Just a bit depressing being reminded of "Order placed 15/10/2021"!

Last edited:
My commute is around 17 miles longer to that particular destination.

I've accepted I'll have to top up a little on the way home, but I'd have to do that in pretty much any of the eV's I could afford.

Would have loved an S and would almost put up with the wait but 🤑
I had a the S on order till about 2 weeks ago. Until I realised that literally no one could give me a delivery date. Initially I just ordered the Y as well, as they said I could order both, then cancel when I know which is coming first. Subsequently though, they tell me we’re on,y allowed to have one on order at a time, so had to go with the Y.

Not sure where you live, but I’m in midlands. There are plenty of superchargers to choose from on my drive back up the M40. Plug in for about five minutes, either catch up on WhatsApp messages or watch Netflix 👍

I had a the S on order till about 2 weeks ago. Until I realised that literally no one could give me a delivery date. Initially I just ordered the Y as well, as they said I could order both, then cancel when I know which is coming first. Subsequently though, they tell me we’re on,y allowed to have one on order at a time, so had to go with the Y.

Not sure where you live, but I’m in midlands. There are plenty of superchargers to choose from on my drive back up the M40. Plug in for about five minutes, either catch up on WhatsApp messages or watch Netflix 👍
Yep, I'm midlands aswell. I'm more m1 than m40, but some decent chargers on m1 too.

This has really got me excited! But alas, I saw this today...

Let's see if the China will send out the batteries asap. Damn Covid-19 and the Ukrainian war...

1655990271146.png

This is what we like to see!