Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP vs Genesis GV60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the "boost" on my MY giving it all the speed I, or really anyone IMHO, needs. I can't remember when I actually floored it last in fact. I find I'm much more interested in driving efficiently now though not so much as to drive slowly or use "chill" mode. The perfect car for me would be the MY with the extra features - soft close doors, 360 view, quieter interior and better suspension. All of those are relatively easy for Tesla to add and then with the charging network it would be VERY hard to beat. Hoping they'll feel the need to up their game in the next couple of years so I can buy the improved version!

Reactions: WADan
And actual leather seats.
Now as having had several cars over the years with real leather and several with man made "leather"? In my cases, the latter ended up holding up MUCH better and being more resistant to that drivers side outer bolster wear in particular. In fact, going all the way back to 1992, I had a 3 series BMW with "leatherette". Fooled everyone who got into the car, that it was real leather. But it wasnt. And 140k miles and about 8 years later? It was still like new.

My early 2000's 5 series, however, had real leather. Drivers side outer bolster was a worn mess after just 4 years and about 70k miles.

Reactions: bobbyjae
When I test drove GV, without the boost button, I felt my LR Y was quicker.

With the boost, it’s quicker than my LR Y but a little bit slower than my MYP. Idk, I need more time with the car tho.

Yea. I feel genesis put a limit on the user by adding a boost button to conserve their battery life. After a few weeks playing with the button, I feel user will just forget about it. 🤔

Reactions: 2101Guy
Now as having had several cars over the years with real leather and several with man made "leather"? In my cases, the latter ended up holding up MUCH better and being more resistant to that drivers side outer bolster wear in particular.
I just feel bad for all the leftover cowhides from the steak I like to eat. I prefer to see it go to good use in the cars I like to drive. You know, recycle and save the world.

That, and the shortest I have owned a leather interior car is 100K miles, and they all looked pretty much new at the end. Except Honda/Acura leather. That crap is garbage. They must use substandard cows.

I've had my GV60P for a couple of months and continue to compare it to my MYP. I continue to appreciate both cars. There are a few things that Genesis has that I really notice/miss when I now drive the Tesla.

In order of importance:

Heads up display - lots of info including turn by turn directions - I really like not having to turn my head. There is another screen behind the steering wheel that provides song info, cruise control info, and a scrollable widget window for things like tire pressures at a glance.

360 degree bird's-eye view. It even turns on when making a U-turn so you don't curb your front right tire. My condo parking lot has big concrete columns at all 4 corners and I still feel like I'm flying blind with the Tesla. I've curbed my right side Uberturbines twice in parking lots. The Genesis is so darn good, i just can't see that happening.

Fast 350KW charging. I drove to Orlando for the weekend and charged from 20% to 85% in 15 minutes!

Rear cross traffic haptic feedback in the steering wheel. Blind spot monitor is also fantastic. When parked, doors lock if the blind spot monitor detects a bicycle or car that is closely driving by.

Quiet cabin - OMG what a difference

Reminder to take your cellphone!

I’m not asking which car was faster. I was wondering if there was a slight delay from standstill when you push the accelerator. The EV6 and Ioniq 5 both have a slight lag. I was wondering if the Genesis tuned this out.
Several reviews I have seen note a lag on acceleration on the Ioniq 5. What I have observed on mine is that if set up correctly, there is no lag and I have consistently been able to get mid 4 second 0-60 times. You should be in regen level 0, have 80% or more, sport mode and traction control off. If you have it in i-Pedal, which is equivalent to Hold on Tesla, there is a small lag. It is definitely faster than my wife's MYLR if setbup right.

Reactions: yellowr6
Now as having had several cars over the years with real leather and several with man made "leather"? In my cases, the latter ended up holding up MUCH better and being more resistant to that drivers side outer bolster wear in particular. In fact, going all the way back to 1992, I had a 3 series BMW with "leatherette". Fooled everyone who got into the car, that it was real leather. But it wasnt. And 140k miles and about 8 years later? It was still like new.

My early 2000's 5 series, however, had real leather. Drivers side outer bolster was a worn mess after just 4 years and about 70k miles.

I'd have to agree, the premium man-made leathers are pretty much superior to the real thing at this point, and involve fewer cows.

I've had my GV60P for a couple of months and continue to compare it to my MYP. I continue to appreciate both cars. There are a few things that Genesis has that I really notice/miss when I now drive the Tesla.

In order of importance:

Heads up display - lots of info including turn by turn directions - I really like not having to turn my head. There is another screen behind the steering wheel that provides song info, cruise control info, and a scrollable widget window for things like tire pressures at a glance.

360 degree bird's-eye view. It even turns on when making a U-turn so you don't curb your front right tire. My condo parking lot has big concrete columns at all 4 corners and I still feel like I'm flying blind with the Tesla. I've curbed my right side Uberturbines twice in parking lots. The Genesis is so darn good, i just can't see that happening.

Fast 350KW charging. I drove to Orlando for the weekend and charged from 20% to 85% in 15 minutes!

Rear cross traffic haptic feedback in the steering wheel. Blind spot monitor is also fantastic. When parked, doors lock if the blind spot monitor detects a bicycle or car that is closely driving by.

Quiet cabin - OMG what a difference

Reminder to take your cellphone!
I think most would appreciate these improvements, hoping Tesla is encouraged by competition to up their game in the next year or two!

Reactions: GoVols!
So had a hour to kill today waiting in the mall. Finally got a chance to test drive the new GV60 performance EV with 235 mi range vs my MYP with 303 mi.

Look is good but still prefer the MYP. Their panel gap is perfect tho. Couldn't find one misalignment. Lol

Inside feel more liked a hatchback than a crossover. So Y win on interior space, especially the back seat. I have a young child so it matter with a car seat. Window and windshield is a bit smaller than the Y but bigger than the MachE. Kinda liked the ID4. Tiny frunk is a bummer and trunk is smaller than the Y and no under shortage in the rear, also no side pockets. Too bad these legacy auto can’t give us a huge Frunk.

Many buttons on the steering wheel and also the entertainment center. Also buttons for the HVAC system. Two screen with a lot info across the board. Feel what a luxury car will feel, A lot of buttons and features. Inside Material built is much nicer than the Y. But I still prefer the Y being minimize and all controls from the screen.

The GV map and UI is a big lagging , probably bc I'm so used to a tesla UI. I'm never use their UI before so finding things is a bit harder but I'm sure after a few days , I'll get used to it.

Their 360 camera is so cool. Tesla need it! Also their cooling seats. And their HUD is cool but not necessary. Tesla will add these on within the new couple of years since there's other options now.

Now the drive. I prefer the Regen and one pedal driving from the Y. The GV suspension feel better and their handling should be better too. I only had 20 min on the road so I was only able to do a few launch. My MYP feel faster, at all speed. The GV has a boost button, does give u that punch but only 10 sec. So u need to click on it every time while the MYP just zoom!

At the end, I still prefer to walk up to the car and go. Park and go. The GV still has a start button, liked any other ICE car or legacy EV. I couldn't test their app but I'm sure tesla win there too. And ultimately, tesla SC win, hands down. Also tesla software and OTA is superior than others right now. Oh yea, they want $88k OTD, including $5k markup. 😱

Too bad I couldn’t txt their driver assist but I’m sure tesla AP wins. That would be my deal breaker since I use AP 60-70% of my daily driving.

My 2 cent. Next car to test is the Benz and bmw new EV.

Any GV owners out there that traded their MY for one. What’s ur experience so far? How’s their software and app? And range vs charging experience?

View attachment 882639
I love Genesis as a brand, but I think the GV60 is one of the most hideous vehicles ever made.

Have you seen one in person? They are stunning on the inside and pretty good on the outside (way better looking exterior than the EV6). Too small for my liking, but a nice start. The Electrified GV70 is the honey pot.

Eh - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and all that. Nobody's ever gonna convince anyone else about that topic.

I will say that we've had multiple unsolicited compliments from parking-lot-passersby and many others in the 2 months we've owned our GV60...

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Have you seen one in person? They are stunning on the inside and pretty good on the outside (way better looking exterior than the EV6). Too small for my liking, but a nice start. The Electrified GV70 is the honey pot.
Had a gas GV70. It was a very good vehicle. I would not consider the electrified GV70 because it is not built on an electric first chassis, and the battery is too small / car is not efficient enough. Range will be terrible and with CCS charging you're screwed.

Great review video. Agreed with most of what he said.

Esp, if too many buttons annoy u now after owning a MY, this is not the EV for u. also the reverse and no regen! Thats dumb.

No regen in reverse? That is brilliant. That would be one of the top things I would change about the Tesla if I could, backing out is tedious with regen - I wish it would dynamically change to either Creep or Roll while in reverse and then switch back to Hold in drive. (My other big change would be dialing back the regen intensity while doing highway driving.)