Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP vs MS LR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This has probably been asked before but I can't really find a good discussion about it. Here is my conundrum:

A new, fully loaded MYP, red on white with FSD is $72k. Since I live in MA, I'd need to buy a set of 19 inch rims and all season tires for the winter time. I'd also need to get the homelink module. That would bump the price to about $75-76k.

Now, a brand new MS LR+, same colors, is about $82k (I factored in a price of an Ecohitch kit, since I'd need that). That makes the MS only $6k more than the MY.

The performance of both cars pretty much the same. I think in general that they are closer to each other than one might think. There are certain advantages and disadvantages of going with each model but I'm curious of this forum members opinion before I pull the triger on one of these.

My Tesla advisor recommended the Y becouse it's more tech advanced. But I don't actually see it, except for the HVAC system and the heat pump on the MY. It looks to me that the MS battery (rev. H) is pretty close to the MY battery in terms of the charging speed and it's also much larger which should allow for a longer, sustained higher charge level. The Raven suspension is nights and days better that the coil suspension in the Y, which in my opinion is really under-damped and not too compliant.

I'd appreciate any comments and thoughs from folks who driven both card,

best,

Last month we test drove both cars in succession - first the Model S, then the Y. Then we walked back into the showroom and signed papers to buy the S. The quality of the ride is incomparable, no doubt aided by the adaptive air suspension in the S. The Y felt uncertain going around fast curves, but the S felt glued to the road. Also, the range was a big factor, with my LR+ rated at 402 miles.

Reactions: popgodazipa
Last month we test drove both cars in succession - first the Model S, then the Y. Then we walked back into the showroom and signed papers to buy the S. The quality of the ride is incomparable, no doubt aided by the adaptive air suspension in the S. The Y felt uncertain going around fast curves, but the S felt glued to the road. Also, the range was a big factor, with my LR+ rated at 402 miles.

I did almost the same thing - I drove the Y first, then the S as I felt driving the S first wouldn't allow me to give the Y a fair shot. I WANTED to buy the Y as it was the cheaper option, but the moment we drove the S it was no comparison. My wife (who is far more price sensitive than I am) said that the S was so much better that I shouldn't even consider a Y. I took her advice and ordered an S - can't wait to get it!

Reactions: popgodazipa
I drove a MYP for 3 months and loved it but my biggest beef with the car was the ride quality, and I had even changed the wheels to 20’s. It always felt like it was riding on the thinnest of tires, which it wasn’t, and I could feel every bump on the road.

I unfortunately wrecked it and it got totaled, so I ordered, the MS the second time around. I can’t take the rough ride again.

Reactions: DustinT
Model Y handles well but there is no escaping physics and the hip point is much higher so it feels quite a bit more tippy from the driver’s perspective than all three of the other cars in the lineup imo with no suspension trickery to mask it like the X has.

the back seat is much more usable imo but otherwise I’d go for the S

This is the same story that’s been true with cars v suvs for decades. Physics can not be ignored. It doesn’t matter which one is more advanced, being lower to the ground has compelling advantages for ride and handling. Conversely, people generally like bigger vehicles like trucks and suvs for the ‘commanding driving position’, the higher ground clearance among other things.

For me, I bought the MS 2021 and never looked back. But, different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Hi all,

This has probably been asked before but I can't really find a good discussion about it. Here is my conundrum:

A new, fully loaded MYP, red on white with FSD is $72k. Since I live in MA, I'd need to buy a set of 19 inch rims and all season tires for the winter time. I'd also need to get the homelink module. That would bump the price to about $75-76k.

Now, a brand new MS LR+, same colors, is about $82k (I factored in a price of an Ecohitch kit, since I'd need that). That makes the MS only $6k more than the MY.

The performance of both cars pretty much the same. I think in general that they are closer to each other than one might think. There are certain advantages and disadvantages of going with each model but I'm curious of this forum members opinion before I pull the triger on one of these.

My Tesla advisor recommended the Y becouse it's more tech advanced. But I don't actually see it, except for the HVAC system and the heat pump on the MY. It looks to me that the MS battery (rev. H) is pretty close to the MY battery in terms of the charging speed and it's also much larger which should allow for a longer, sustained higher charge level. The Raven suspension is nights and days better that the coil suspension in the Y, which in my opinion is really under-damped and not too compliant.

I'd appreciate any comments and thoughs from folks who driven both card,

best,

I am actually living out your situation right now except I have the MYP in White. I’ve only had it for 2 months and I just pulled the trigger and ordered a MS LR+ with the myp trade in. I had a chance to try out a MS when my y was at a service center and the ride is just so much more comfortable. I really love the size of the the MY but that drive is just too harsh. My wife who usually doesn’t like me spending money was actually on board with me trading in for the MS. It feels really bad losing $$ on the trade in. My only saving grace is I got approved for California Clean Air Vehicle program for 5k to put towards the MS.