Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP w/19” Geminis in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, games have priority over functionality. Anyone know why Tesla took away the regen settings in the UI? What possibly could have been the rationale for doing that?

Simplicity in function. With FSD Beta if you don't have an option of high or low regen, the programing for FSD only has to deal with one static option rather than a variable that definitely effects low traction handling of the car. Everything is focused on FSD Beta right now, screw everyone else.

Keith

Simplicity in function. With FSD Beta if you don't have an option of high or low regen, the programing for FSD only has to deal with one static option rather than a variable that definitely effects low traction handling of the car. Everything is focused on FSD Beta right now, screw everyone else.

Keith
I have the FSD beta. For my June 2020 MY, I still have the low regen option.
20211229_180018.jpg

What I think the car needs is the ability to lock awd at a 50/50 bias and then get rid of the traction control stuff for real when you put slip start on. Slip start or off-road assist maybe allow a tiny improvement but not enough. If you are climbing a slippery hill and the tires are spinning, the car cuts back your power and you end up just stopping there. I’m not afraid of getting the car sliding sideways a bit and am fine with controlling the regen with the throttle but a really slippery uphill you need some tire spin to throw the snow and propel you forward. That being said, it’s still the car I take out in the snow because my Ford Edge is a gasser, even though that Ford with bald all season tires crushes the Tesla on the slippery hills.

What I think the car needs is the ability to lock awd at a 50/50 bias and then get rid of the traction control stuff for real when you put slip start on. Slip start or off-road assist maybe allow a tiny improvement but not enough. If you are climbing a slippery hill and the tires are spinning, the car cuts back your power and you end up just stopping there. I’m not afraid of getting the car sliding sideways a bit and am fine with controlling the regen with the throttle but a really slippery uphill you need some tire spin to throw the snow and propel you forward. That being said, it’s still the car I take out in the snow because my Ford Edge is a gasser, even though that Ford with bald all season tires crushes the Tesla on the slippery hills.

All well and good for the P cars, but not available on LR or SRs.

That said, I have been blown away by how good the traction control and regen traction control has become on v11. It's actually difficult to get the car to skid now, under either positive or negative acceleration. Even on the sheer ice roads we are currently enjoying.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and jebinc
All well and good for the P cars, but not available on LR or SRs.

That said, I have been blown away by how good the traction control and regen traction control has become on v11. It's actually difficult to get the car to skid now, under either positive or negative acceleration. Even on the sheer ice roads we are currently enjoying.

MYP doesn't have this... Elon promised track mode years ago, it should be a simple software port from the M3P... we are still waiting.

Keith

We've owned twelve cars between us and the Y LR is probably the better car that I've had in the snow. It's certainly better than an XDrive BMW (335xi or 530xi wagon) for example. There was no question that those required snow tires as did Saabs (front wheel drive) and Volvos (rear wheel drive). That said, since the original Contis were running low, I decided I'd rather go back to having summer and winter tires so we are doing that now.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc