Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP won't auto connect to Wi-Fi. "Unable to obtain IP address" error when manually connecting to wifi. Only a hard Reboot auto-connects successfully.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I had the same issue with WiFi connectivity on my M3. Kept giving me the DHCP error, IP address cant be obtained. Reset the wifi using the scroll buttons several times, but once it restarts it connects to wifi and drops in 10 seconds. Turned out I had a wifi extender (2.4G/5G)in my house that shared the same SSID with my main network, probably confusing Tesla. Once I unplugged it, Tesla connected and successfully updated.
I have an extender and the SSIDs are all unique. It WON'T let me connect to the extenders and I have to reposition my car drivewat several times to get the green connected checklight. Like I said, the WIFI stinks

I have an extender and the SSIDs are all unique. It WON'T let me connect to the extenders and I have to reposition my car drivewat several times to get the green connected checklight. Like I said, the WIFI stinks
Once you integrate internet technology to an automobile, expect all the tech related issues to follow just like you have in your PC, smartphones and so on.

This worked for me!

I have two Model 3s, and they both started throwing the "Unable to obtain IP address" error message about 6 weeks ago. My home Wi-Fi network was unchanged for years, but out of desperation to fix this issue I changed my 2.4 GHz band to support "b/g" (it was set to the default "b/g/n"). And presto! Both cars connected to Wi-Fi immediately. Not sure if this is the root cause or just "jiggling the handle", but this fix worked for me. Thank you for the suggestion! @charliehorse
Thank you and thank you! Worked for me too.

Reactions: tander
This worked for me!

I have two Model 3s, and they both started throwing the "Unable to obtain IP address" error message about 6 weeks ago. My home Wi-Fi network was unchanged for years, but out of desperation to fix this issue I changed my 2.4 GHz band to support "b/g" (it was set to the default "b/g/n"). And presto! Both cars connected to Wi-Fi immediately. Not sure if this is the root cause or just "jiggling the handle", but this fix worked for me. Thank you for the suggestion! @charliehorse
I would like to change this, but with my Wifi Network all of this stated as being "managed automatically" and I can't find a way to change it. Since I changed network providers, I have been totally unable to connect my Tesla. When I visit other places where I am allowed wifi access, I can connect my Tesla there, but apparently not at home. Maybe I will contact Tesla service.

I would like to change this, but with my Wifi Network all of this stated as being "managed automatically" and I can't find a way to change it. Since I changed network providers, I have been totally unable to connect my Tesla. When I visit other places where I am allowed wifi access, I can connect my Tesla there, but apparently not at home. Maybe I will contact Tesla service.
The wifi card in the car is a piece of crap