Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP won't auto connect to Wi-Fi. "Unable to obtain IP address" error when manually connecting to wifi. Only a hard Reboot auto-connects successfully.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you see any Wi-Fi broadcasts? If not try and do a reboot. This was an issue with previous versions of code, as of late I haven’t seen the issue. Your mileage may vary 🤔
I was finally able to connect to a public Wi-Fi near a building. Signal doesn’t look very strong but it’s connected. Need to test the speed and if it works again the next time I need to update.

I get that error sometimes when I'm trying to connect to Wi-Fi at home but I'm too far from the router and signal is too weak. I can expect that being the case when you park outside of Starbucks, but I don't know why it would happen when using your iPhone hotspot...

unless you are unlucky with starbucks its the same error everyone else has been getting and require firmware update. ask tesla to push update via 4g. some people have success by rebooting the car and then connecting to wifi.

FWIW, my Model 3 had the same behavior the OP described with my AT&T fiber router as well as the DHCP error on occasion, forcing a reboot. Since updating to 2022.36.x, the car has consistently connected to the 5 GHz network without needing to be rebooted. I’ll update here if the behavior changes.
I had to reboot it last night to get it connect, but it may have been related to a larger scale internet problem I had. I had to reenter the WiFi credentials on several other devices before they’d reconnect.

Mods: I have this in the beta section because its related to wanting to upload all my beta data at the end of my day, so maybe other testers have solved this personally.

I've looked at other solutions and mentions in this forum and others without success, and the other posts seem quite old, so thought id see if anyone had any new solutions.

My 2022 MYP will not automatically connect to my wifi when I get home. When I try to manually connect to my known home network, it gives me the "Unable to obtain IP address" error. The only solution is a hard reset by pressing both scroll wheels, and when it reboots, it reboots already connected to my wifi.

Specifics:
At&t fiber router
I park my car 10' from the router and it has excellent signal strength.

Things I've tried:
Reserved IP addressor my cars MAC in router settings
every firewall option is turned off
tried connecting to 2.4ghz SSID and 5ghz SSID, same results. I even tried making my hidden guest SSID only for my Tesla.

Anyone else ran into this problem and found a simple solution? Having beta now, I'd like it to be able to upload things at the end of my day.
Happens to me all the time. I have to reboot also. And get this.....If my car faces the street (the router is behind it) it is hard to connect. If I turn the car around it connects. IE, shitty wifi chip in car. My phone will connect but not my car. I figured out how to make my phone a wifi hotspot so next time there's a software update I'll sit in the car and connect. I get very fast speed and I have T--Mobile 5G Internet. I get anywhere from 200 to 400+ Mbps connecrion

I had to reboot it last night to get it connect, but it may have been related to a larger scale internet problem I had. I had to reenter the WiFi credentials on several other devices before they’d reconnect.
My car forgets the wifi ALL THE TIME. Annoying as hell and also I internittently lose blutooth connection with car so I have to reconnect on the touchscrren

I can’t believe no one found a solution. I have ATT with combo 2.4/5G. I had ATT split into dedicated 2.4G and 5G without success. I have observed that ATT logs showing numerous DEASSOC and DEAUTH for Tesla IP address. However don’t know how solve. Still researching.

Attachments

• B9112296-63FA-4715-807E-CE5252E41BEB.jpeg
    B9112296-63FA-4715-807E-CE5252E41BEB.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 185
I can’t believe no one found a solution. I have ATT with combo 2.4/5G. I had ATT split into dedicated 2.4G and 5G without success. I have observed that ATT logs showing numerous DEASSOC and DEAUTH for Tesla IP address. However don’t know how solve. Still researching.
A bunch of routers have it where you can associate the MAC address with a reserved ip address in the router rather than go thru DHCP to find an emty ip address

I believed I resolved my Tesla Y WIFI issue. I also would receive error "Unable to obtain IP Address. Please check DHCP server settings." Sometimes I could get it to connect after Tesla reboot.

I have ATT Fiber using BGW3200-500 modem/WIFI router with 2.4G/5G combo.
SOLUTION: I had ATT split the 2.4G and 5G into separate SSID. Then I set the 2.4G to B/G standards.

• Helpful
Reactions: zeptomoby and Art84
I believed I resolved my Tesla Y WIFI issue. I also would receive error "Unable to obtain IP Address. Please check DHCP server settings." Sometimes I could get it to connect after Tesla reboot.

SOLUTION: I had ATT split the 2.4G and 5G into separate SSID. Then I set the 2.4G to B/G standards.

it should still be fixed by Tesla as it is just a driver issue.
What I dont understand is that every other update less and less people complain about this problem.
I.e. mine got fixed with the last update. Its almost like they change wifi cards every few months on the production line.

Reactions: charliehorse
We just got a new Model 3 LR 2022. It's our 4th Tesla. The 2019 M3 this car replaced had had no problem connecting to our home WiFi network.

I also own a fully updated in every way 2018 Model S 100D. It has no problem collecting to our home WiFi network.

The new Model 3 keeps failing to connect and throws a DCHP error. I tried rebooting the car and other tricks. Before I became a full-time novelist, I was an engineer and scientist (physicist). So I know a few tricks ;-) Nothing worked, then I hit on a solution (or really, a workaround).

I found (at least for us) that the problem is mesh networks. If I try to connect the 2022 M3 to our fully updated Eero mesh network, the 2022 M3 fails with a DHCP error every time.

If I try to connect the 2022 M3 to a different non-mesh access point (Verizon Fiber modem), bingo, it works every time (so far).

I am going to do some more digging. I have several other non-mesh wifi access points I am going to try. So we'll see if my theory holds up.
I got same issue

Just added another mesh router and car cannot get ip with same error.

Mesh is the problem

• Informative
Reactions: Art84

This works! Thanks

I did not split the 2G 5G network, I added a guest ssid on 2G, changed 2G to B/G mode.

• Informative

This worked for me!

I have two Model 3s, and they both started throwing the "Unable to obtain IP address" error message about 6 weeks ago. My home Wi-Fi network was unchanged for years, but out of desperation to fix this issue I changed my 2.4 GHz band to support "b/g" (it was set to the default "b/g/n"). And presto! Both cars connected to Wi-Fi immediately. Not sure if this is the root cause or just "jiggling the handle", but this fix worked for me. Thank you for the suggestion! @charliehorse

Just FYI-

My 2019 M3P had the "Unable to obtain IP Address. Please check DHCP server settings." error message and I was unable to connect to my home WIFI or my cellular hotspot.

I just took the car in for a service and the issue was resolved after diagnostic testing by replacing the computer.

Please note your issue and or results may be different than mine.

• Informative
Ok I had the same issue with WiFi connectivity on my M3. Kept giving me the DHCP error, IP address cant be obtained. Reset the wifi using the scroll buttons several times, but once it restarts it connects to wifi and drops in 10 seconds. Turned out I had a wifi extender (2.4G/5G)in my house that shared the same SSID with my main network, probably confusing Tesla. Once I unplugged it, Tesla connected and successfully updated.