Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYPerf suspension vs MYLRAWD is very similar in ride quality; Did Tesla improve suspension without anyone knowing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an early build 2020 MYLRAWD for 1 year. Now I have September 2021 build MYPerformance and I have to say the suspension is lower, but the ride is not rougher than my 2020 non performance. Many people online complained of the 2020 MYPerformance suspension being too stiff/hard; but I'd have to say I'm not feeling the difference. Did Tesla secretely soften up the 2021 performance suspension without telling anyone? Tire pressure was 46 of the lot for day 1. Day 2 was today, and I had the PSI at 41. Tomorrow I will try PSI at 35-36. The 2021 Perf does corner noticeably better than the 2020 non perf though. Any thoughts on the suspension not being as bad as 2020 people complained of?

forgot to mention: 2020 MYAWD driven on upstate NY roads for 4000 miles was poor ride quality. Then in Arizona on roads for 300 miles, and in Arizona, the ride quality was better. The different state roads made a significant difference. Or did I just get used to the Y by then lol?

I had an early build 2020 MYLRAWD for 1 year. Now I have September 2021 build MYPerformance and I have to say the suspension is lower, but the ride is not rougher than my 2020 non performance. Many people online complained of the 2020 MYPerformance suspension being too stiff/hard; but I'd have to say I'm not feeling the difference. Did Tesla secretely soften up the 2021 performance suspension without telling anyone? Tire pressure was 46 of the lot for day 1. Day 2 was today, and I had the PSI at 41. Tomorrow I will try PSI at 35-36. The 2021 Perf does corner noticeably better than the 2020 non perf though. Any thoughts on the suspension not being as bad as 2020 people complained of?
The suspension is equally harsh in the Y and LR. You’re just used to it.

...vivid imagination...trying to justify the additional $10k Performance package... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
In June, I ordered a blue MYLR to keep the cost down and then found myself listing all the changes I wanted: 20" Martian wheels and Mich A/S tires (pushing $4K), lowering springs + install (probably $1K), Tesla's performance upgrade ($2K), etc. Finally, my son asked, "Why not just get the P?" Duh. I cancelled the LR and ordered a pearl white P.

OP, I agree with you: my July build P seems only marginally more "communicative" than the LR I test-drove. That's good. And, yes, the P corners far better than the LR, a high priority for me. Plus the stance is tastefully more aggressive. The huge Uberturbines and low-profile P-Zeros obviously affect the ride. That said, these factory wheels make the appearance of a Y, IMO. 500 hp + 500 ft-lbs overcome a multitude of sins, including the weight of the UTs. Do I really want to black out on full-throttle acceleration? No, so no Martians will land on this vehicle.

...vivid imagination...trying to justify the additional $10k Performance package... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
It's only $3000 difference. Model Y is 54k + 2k wheels +2k accel boost = 58k! Y performance is 61k. The 2k for acceleration boost that I did on my 2020 was well worth it.... 0-60 was 4.2! Y Perf is usually only 3.7-3.8. I wanted the wheels and wanted the performance brakes; so I got the Perf.

Reactions: WG21
In June, I ordered a blue MYLR to keep the cost down and then found myself listing all the changes I wanted: 20" Martian wheels and Mich A/S tires (pushing $4K), lowering springs + install (probably $1K), Tesla's performance upgrade ($2K), etc. Finally, my son asked, "Why not just get the P?" Duh. I cancelled the LR and ordered a pearl white P.

OP, I agree with you: my July build P seems only marginally more "communicative" than the LR I test-drove. That's good. And, yes, the P corners far better than the LR, a high priority for me. Plus the stance is tastefully more aggressive. The huge Uberturbines and low-profile P-Zeros obviously affect the ride. That said, these factory wheels make the appearance of a Y, IMO. 500 hp + 500 ft-lbs overcome a multitude of sins, including the weight of the UTs. Do I really want to black out on full-throttle acceleration? No, so no Martians will land on this vehicle.
I just spoke to someone who test drove the 2020 YPerf.... Then held off and got a 2021 YPerf. He mentioned that he thought the 2021 ride quality was not as harsh as the 2020.
ALso, I had a Model XP90D... non lude. It was fast... but I think 3.5 0-60 with neck snapping pull off the line. My model Y is prob 3.7 0-60 and no neck snapping... I think Tesla softened the 0-10 neck snap and from 10-60 it pulls more. But the XP90D also curled the stomach with 20-40. The Model YPerf doesnt pull as hard and no stomach curl.... but those vehicles have different HP & Torque.