Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ quirk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had the issue where their MyQ connected Tesla will once in a while upon the Tesla UI closing the garage that the garage will do the “10 second count down beeping and flashing” deal?

Normally the garage will instantly close (without the 10 second beeps/flashes) when the Tesla is leaving the proximity and the garage will instantly close. When I first got MyQ in my Tesla I was super happy with this. I hated the fact that the app on my phone would cause the delayed close.

Does anyone know why the Tesla connected MyQ does this once in a while?

I’ve reached out to MyQ support and they told me that they would open a support ticket as they too don’t know. They told me to ask Tesla.. lol, Tesla told me to ask MyQ…

Reactions: cwhite51
That makes Sense Caps, I have seen the same thing. Will change the proximity range tonight (closer) and see if that fixes it. I have also had the issue where when it went to close the garage the flashing starts and then I get an error. Only fixe was to repair the unit on the door to my phone. This may fix both.
My guess is it is based on whether or not the close signal comes over Wi-Fi or cell to the MyQ servers. If you are not connected to (probably your) Wi-Fi then it will assume you are too far away to see if someone is in danger of having the door closed on them or not.

That makes Sense Caps, I have seen the same thing. Will change the proximity range tonight (closer) and see if that fixes it. I have also had the issue where when it went to close the garage the flashing starts and then I get an error. Only fixe was to repair the unit on the door to my phone. This may fix both.
FWIW, I have encountered the 10-second beep/flash situation with both scenarios in the car.. Wi-Fi and Cellular. I’ve messed around with the distance settings too. Regardless of proximity or connection type, sometimes the MyQ Tesla app will do both. This was my first thought too. But then I realized that when I use the MyQ app on my iPhone I’m also connected to Wi-Fi because I’m right outside of my house.

I wonder if the MyQ “brain” installed on the ceiling of my garage has a sensor of some kind and if it detects a person (probably a flash of sunlight or something) that it initiates the “safety” protocol.

It’s really odd. As I said 9/10 times the Tesla MyQ will close the garage instantly.

Thanks for your input though guys.

Just looked into it and it is $45 per year.

Now when I got home today, after having to repair my phone to MyQ last night, I tried to do the settings in my car and it will not allow me to do anything. So I cannot set up my base location or the options..... feh.. at a loss at this point

Two things, yes that happens sometimes to me. Second, mine has stopped connecting to MyQ servers. I can't figure out to how make it reconnect. I thought that maybe the "free" trial had ended but there's no way to pay for it yet so that can't be it.

On an unrelated note. When I installed it on the first day it came out I was amazed. I drove up my drive way, backed in my garage and pulled away at least 5 or 6 times. On my last trip home I pulled in my driveway to watch the light show on my garage doors. Of course the garage door went up when I pulled in so I manually put it down to watch the show. When the show was over my son put the garage door up to go inside. I pulled to the end of my driveway to turn around in the street. As I backed towards my garage door the door was up. I slowed down at my door to make sure I was clearing my mirrors. As I started backing up again I heard a crunch so I pulled forward. The garage door activated itself putting the door down and hit the top of my trunk which now has white paint and scratches all over it and the bottom two panels on my garage door need replaced.

Just looked into it and it is $45 per year.

Now when I got home today, after having to repair my phone to MyQ last night, I tried to do the settings in my car and it will not allow me to do anything. So I cannot set up my base location or the options..... feh.. at a loss at this point
Did anyone have success signing up for the subscription? My 30-day trial expired today and I am not able to subscribe nor login to my account.

My trial hasn't yet expired, so I can't tell for sure how it will look for you, but can you not go to myqservices.com, sign in, then go to My Subscriptions? When I go there I see my subscription, and the expiration date...
I was finally able to reset my password and see the expiration got moved to Jan 29th, which is a good surprise, based on their subscription page my guess is they are still not ready with the whole process. I am more than happy to get the additional free time

I too had to unlink and link my account last week because it stopped working.

Yesterday I received an email from MyQ stating they were extending my trail period while they continue to make improvements. They did not state my specific trail extension date. They know this is not ready for prime time.

Reactions: hakunamattata
I too had to unlink and link my account last week because it stopped working.

Yesterday I received an email from MyQ stating they were extending my trail period while they continue to make improvements. They did not state my specific trail extension date. They know this is not ready for prime time.
I had to do the same tasks, in addition I had to reset my myqservices password. Presently on myqservices.com the expiration date is set to Jan 29, we shall see how long they keep extending it

I was using Siri Shortcuts and decided to give it a swing Friday. I noticed it did the beeping when closing too.
When I got home I manually hit close and it just shut without the sound and light show. So not sure why it differed. Most myQ is API calls over web so I might try to look harder at this later. My Siri call currently makes it beep too.

I then went to the wife’s Model 3 Sunday AM and wanted to set her up since she’s not a fan of talking to Siri lol. The QR code links to a 404 in myqservives.com. So now I’m trying to figure out if the link is wrong or if their auth/register service is down.

Update: it was my phone. Got off wifi and used cellular and it worked. Suspect this is a DNS issue with Cloudflare or Google DNS.

Last edited:
I paid the $45 and the very next day I had to re-link the system as it lost connection to the car. Once I did that the location services in my Tesla stopped working when I leave and come home so the automatic open/close didn't work. I can still open and close using the MyQ in the car though. May have to uninstall and reinstall it from scratch to get that back.

Mine did the beeping and flashing for the first week or two I had it going and has never done it since. The beepnig/flashing is the same thing it does when you close it via the app on your mobile device, so it might just be how the API call is done. I am surprised it is still doing that for other people, I assumed they must have changed it on the back end after people complained. It closes just like the physical remote now for me anyway.