Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ WiFi Garage Opener - No Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. I have myq wifi opener in my garage and my modelS opens/closes it just fine. i have to admit that i hate the on-screen control and still use the physical opener on my visor, but it pops up on screen as i arrive and opens/closes just fine.

did I misunderstand what you are trying to accomplish?

Reactions: X-pilot
I agree that it’s unclear what you’re trying to do here. If you want automated opening/closing of your garage door as you arrive/leave then buy the homelink module. No telling when (or IF) something else will be coming nor whether said new feature would actually be compatible with your MyQ setup.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. I have myq wifi opener in my garage and my modelS opens/closes it just fine. i have to admit that i hate the on-screen control and still use the physical opener on my visor, but it pops up on screen as i arrive and opens/closes just fine.

did I misunderstand what you are trying to accomplish?

I don’t have an on screen option on my MY. I use the myQ phone app to open and close.

I don’t have an on screen option on my MY. I use the myQ phone app to open and close.

You clarified the wrong point @minsara_visiri . You don’t have a homelink icon on your screen because you don’t have homelink installed, a point which we all understand. If your question was will there me a MyQ integrated option for Tesla? I’d say no. It’s not like Tesla to integrate with another’s company’s single unique product. Same reason they don’t integrate CarPlay or android auto. Go with homelink, which is a universal standard and available today.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I agree that it’s unclear what you’re trying to do here. If you want automated opening/closing of your garage door as you arrive/leave then buy the homelink module. No telling when (or IF) something else will be coming nor whether said new feature would actually be compatible with your MyQ setup.[
You clarified the wrong point @minsara_visiri . You don’t have a homelink icon on your screen because you don’t have homelink installed, a point which we all understand. If your question was will there me a MyQ integrated option for Tesla? I’d say no. It’s not like Tesla to integrate with another’s company’s single unique product. Same reason they don’t integrate CarPlay or android auto. Go with homelink, which is a universal standard and available today.

ROFL. That explains it. I’ll go w homelink.

Reactions: X-pilot and bpjones
You can use Google assistant or Siri to open and close your garage.

No need to buy homelink if you have a wifi garage door opener just set it up and say "hey google open the garage". I dont even pick up my phone I leave it on the wireless car charger.

Download IFTTT app and search myQ.

You can also just set it to open when your phones gps gets near

And you can even set up automations with this as well. When I get about 100 yards from home, my phone will ask if I want to run my "Arrive Home" automation to open the garage door and unlock my front door.
That was my original approach too but I could never figure out how to make it work automatically. I had to pick the phone up off the charge pad, look at it to unlock the face ID and then click to run the action that the automation popped up,, kind of made it no different than just using the app. I was googling how to run the automation without unlocking when I came across those shortcuts and they were good enough.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1246206038174339073?lang=en - This strongly implied a plan to support wifi openers. By their nature, these will be proprietary setups (and with HomeQ, it will be EXTREMELY proprietary).

MyQ is nice because it's stateful, which would be a better solution than HomeLink. However, HomeLink is widely compatible so I understand why that's the default route for now.

The downside to using Siri or other assistants to close the garage door is that a MyQ closure requires a longish beeping alert before the door closes. If you regularly leave before other members of the house are awake, that could be a problem. Also, I like to visually confirm that my door is closed before I move on, and the MyQ closure takes longer because of the alert.

We don't have our Tesla yet but with some home automation the garage door opens upon approach. The door into the house also unlocks and depending on the time of day different lighting scenes are set in the house. We could set up auto-close when leaving but it doesn't work for lifestyle at this moment so I just tell Siri to close it as I leave. Google can help if your interested in doing the same.

Use SIMPLE commands app which can integrate with myq and can close/open your garage based on location and also can integrate with Google assistant so you can just say 'close garage doors it does the job for you..i feel it is better we spend on wifi garage since Tesla releases a software option which can integrate with wifi garage system nit having homelink....