Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ WiFi Garage Opener - No Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably won't pay either. I can just hit open on my phone or just push the button on my garage door opener.

I'm not sure who is charging the $179. Is it Tesla or chamberlain? Why the charge for this?
I'm pretty sure its a fee from chamberlain. They've been trying to monetize garage door services for a while now. I'm sure they aren't giving Amazon Key to Amazon without money changing hands either.

Reactions: ord3r
The promise/benefit of MyQ is statefulness, especially when you have more than one car going in and out of the same garage. Knowing if you’re really closing or just toggling the state is a big difference. But.. not for a subscription, at least not for me. I’ll just keep using my eyes.
We are reported to get a month to try out MyQ and decide if we want to pay for a subscription.

$179 for 5 years is a lot cheaper than $350 for homelink and as you mention has the big added benefit of stateful control. Many times on the M3 homelink would activate the garage door and start closing it when I was pulling into the garage, for example if I had the car parked in the driveway working on it and the car thought I was arriving/leaving as I pulled in.

I don’t find pulling my phone out and using the app very convenient and since with the MY I back into the garage I find that I am frequently forgetting to shut it behind me when I leave.

$179 is peanuts when we’re talking about cars that cost $50K-160K in the first place.

It works like HomeLink only it knew the status of the garage (open/closed).

The max to auto-open is also 100 ft. It did beep loudly using MyQ everytime it closes, no beep when closing with HomeLink. Just noticed the option to chime or not with MyQ open/close - I'll toggle next time.

This is on a 2022 Model X just updated to 2022.44.25.1 with HomeLink and now MyQ integration.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213_222637_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213_222637_Samsung Internet.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20221213_222644_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213_222644_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221213_222736.jpg
    20221213_222736.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20221213_222749.jpg
    20221213_222749.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221213_222849.jpg
    20221213_222849.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221213_231826.jpg
    20221213_231826.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221213_231609.jpg
    20221213_231609.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I sometimes get an error with my garage door status when using myQ. It will say garage left open when it's closed. Then if you hit the button again it will open the door and lock up with an error. You won't be able to do anything unless you drive back home.

Because of this I have a eufy camera in my garage so I can view if the door is open or closed.

Do not trust the myQ door status. It happens to me randomly. I am using a myQ add on controller. Not a built in door opener though.

If I do the garage door opener upgrade, it will be one of these two units with the camera. I would not want any kind of remote open/close ability without being able to see the garage.

I sometimes get an error with my garage door status when using myQ. It will say garage left open when it's closed. Then if you hit the button again it will open the door and lock up with an error. You won't be able to do anything unless you drive back home.

Because of this I have a eufy camera in my garage so I can view if the door is open or closed.

Do not trust the myQ door status. It happens to me randomly. I am using a myQ add on controller. Not a built in door opener though.

Same here..we've had the MyQ stuff on our doors for several years, and every now and again it will think the door is open when it is not. Kind of annoying.

I had Tesla GPS HomeLink on my 2020, but after living with it for 25 months I opted not to buy it for our new 2022. I am using the old-school clicker. My biggest complaint with the Tesla system is not knowing the current status of the door and performing the correct task.

I might try the MyQ for a year ($45) and see if that is an improvement in AUTOMATION which is why I would want one of these systems. Else I'll manually OPEN/CLOSE my garage door with the clicker.

If I do the garage door opener upgrade, it will be one of these two units with the camera. I would not want any kind of remote open/close ability without being able to see the garage.

I do like the complete packaged units. The look better and they use a different method for detecting the door position. I installed one for my parents. Very easy install. No errors on theirs so far. It doesn't use an angle sensor for door status. It uses the belt position because it's built for myQ rather than an add on like I have.

I have MyQ and while it works most of the time, it does sometimes frustratingly not work and when this happens, often locks up requiring you to be at home/ go home and use the wired button or clicker. As long as you understand this, have a backup, and are willing to deal with the occasional frustrating event, it's ok.

It's sad that I also installed a wifi camera in my garage to be a backup for my sometimes buggy MyQ. Maybe that's why they make you pay for 5 years up front.

We just keep the clicker that came with the garage sitting in the driver's side door pocket. It takes one second to bend over and click the button to open or close, with no extra lights or beeping (though you might be able to defeat those, such as
) and no need to mess with my phone to use the MyQ app [I do use it on occasion, but when I'm on foot with no clicker beside me].

Honestly sometimes the simplest (and free*) solution is the best. And the remote is not at all visible from outside the vehicle (to attract any unwanted attention from would-be thieves.

*well, no extra purchase or subscription cost beyond what we paid for the opener, other than maybe a battery every x years (3.5 and counting on the original so far).
I have two MyQ openers on my garage doors, but I simply attached the small remote to the backside of my screen using a 3M command adhesive strip. Opening a door is as simple as reaching on the backside of the screen and pressing the button. You can't see the remote hidden on the backside of the screen. Sometimes people work to make something so simple complicated...

myQ Connected Garage door openers are now supported. Monitor and control your garage door remotely using your vehicle’s touchscreen. To set up, tap Controls > Locks > myQ Connected Garage > Link Account, and follow the instructions.

AII Tesla cars except 2012-2020 Model S and Model X)

Note: Your vehicle will automatically recognize all existing garage doors if you already have a myQ account.

A MyQ subscription for vehicle use may is required (goto Tesla In-Vehicle Garage Control with myQ | myQ for details), as will Tesla Premium Connectivity. Obviously, you also need a MyQ enabled garage door or other device such as gate.

Reactions: KDeanCville
It works like HomeLink only it knew the status of the garage (open/closed).

The max to auto-open is also 100 ft. It did beep loudly using MyQ everytime it closes, no beep when closing with HomeLink. Just noticed the option to chime or not with MyQ open/close - I'll toggle next time.

This is on a 2022 Model X just updated to 2022.44.25.1 with HomeLink and now MyQ integration.
I notice that using MyQ Tesla integrated garage operator will beep when closing if the system does not detect the car in the location (garage) - which makes sense as to warn others if closing the door remotely.

Still, the operation is highly reliant on internet connection which can be laggy (cellular or wi-fi) like in my garage or outside my driveway. HomeLink RF connection has been solid in comparison.

@TomServo - agreed, I think the HL module should be dropped to $179ish.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
Hello 2021 thread...

I didn't realize this was going to be a subscription, that makes me lol a bit. If you are into home automation there are ways to make this happen without MyQ or the Tesla integration. Our garage door opens on approach, the door into the house from the garage unlocks and a lighting scene dependent on the time of day all happen when we approach home. Been that way for years now.

Reactions: jsight