Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious Clay Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a quick overlay using photoshop (using the wheel size as reference, and fixing the horizontal perspective distortion as best as possible, the vertical perspective is still wrong; third pic is just for the heck of it):
model-s_clay_overlay.jpg

model-s_clay_overlay2.jpg

model-s_clay_overlay3.jpg

My opinion is this is likely a false alarm. The wheel base is the same. The greenhouse is the same. The only difference I can tell is the front and back looks a lot shorter and I'm pretty sure that's from the perspective (at that angle, the curves of the car might make it look shorter).

I know from certain angles the original prototype's front end and back end can seem to "disappear" (although not both at the same time usually). The production version doesn't really do that anymore because it doesn't have the same extreme tapering at the ends (likely for crash safety reasons).

Last edited:
Nice w SCPP
Shows it could be a two door. So where in the timeline is it? If new it would speak to a new car, If old then it's an early S. Would have to be pretty old though..

If it's the in-between car (Model Z) then it's an answer for the "it's too big" crowd.

If the video is a year and change old, probably not much to see here, though, if they're going to launch a model per year, we'll probably see the next model after X around this time next year.

Here's a video of the Model S' clay model. Pretty big difference.
Like AnOutsider pointed out, the recruitment video is a bit older than a year. The video on youtube is very recent (notice it already has the Model S "alpha" exterior design, which became public only in the middle of last year).

I doubt Tesla was working on the Bluestar, or a Model S coupe a year ago.

^^^^
The auto industry has had a rough go, and startups face an especially uphill climb. In that Super Bowl ad rousing a future for U.S. carmakers, Clint Eastwood said, albeit on behalf of Chrysler: "This country can't be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do, the world is going to hear the roar of our engines."Still unclear is whether that'll overwhelmingly stay the roar of internal combustion engines ... vs. much silent rev of electrics.

Nice to see this :)

Tesla cars based off the Model S "Skateboard" platform are just too expensive to not play in the "premium" league. Tesla will refine the Bluestar/Gen III platform to explore cost benefits that are not accessible for any Skateboard car, be it S, X, or the Coupe.
BMW mass produces all 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 series. They are at a point where Tesla is not with their model palette.