Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious Clay Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are correct, lens distortion. Looks longer in this photo
Tesla-Model-X-Side-Moving-2.jpg

We were there that night. Assuming the were in the street the distance from the K-rails to that release car is about 10 to 12 feet. You would nee a really wide lens to get several feet of air in front and back of the car as shown.

X wide.jpg

This is a super wide lens that shortens the front as well.

Well I think it's worth going back to this sneaky looking image from the design studio:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3282&d=1320198035.jpg

We previously assumed that clay model in the center was the Model S, but now I suppose it might a version of the X. What seems more likely, though, is that model on the right wrapped in black is not the X (now that we've seen it), and is probably something else (maybe the van?).

attachment.php?attachmentid=3283&d=1328965826.jpg

4724320936_c28b90c17e_o.jpg

I agree a delivery van is a good way to go, but I'd lose the frunk and push the drivers seat over the front wheels to increase the usable cargo space (kinda like a VW bus). It might hurt the CdA, but that shouldn't matter so much for a neighborhood delivery van anyhow.

A delivery van doesn't really fit with Tesla's image, and the X with the two rows of rear seats removed could do similar duty. Plus fleet van sales aren't going to pay top dollar for the luxury of a Tesla, so they won't get the premium profit margins.

A delivery van doesn't really fit with Tesla's image, and the X with the two rows of rear seats removed could do similar duty. Plus fleet van sales aren't going to pay top dollar for the luxury of a Tesla, so they won't get the premium profit margins.

A stripped down version might work pricing wise. It's about selling cars.

transit-connect--18-1280_opt.jpg

I like the delivery van idea alot. They could make one for sure but maybe someone else could buy their powertrain and design the vehicle around it.
15hcd-hiace-specifications-slwb-737x384.jpg

Toyota HiAce
Length (mm)5380
- Width (mm)1880 (Model S is 1963.42 mm)
- Height (mm)2285
- Wheelbase (mm)3110 (Model S is 2959.1 mm)

Cargo area dimensions
- Cargo area length (mm)3470
- Cargo area width (mm)1730
- Cargo area width between wheelarches (mm)1295
- Cargo area height (mm)1635
- Cargo area loadspace volume (L)9800

Power
- Maximum power kW 100
- Rpm for maximum power 3400
- Maximum torque Nm 300
- Rpm for maximum torque 1200

- Fuel consumption - combined (L/100km) 9.2 = 25mpg

Looking at those specs confirmed another suspicion of mine, that the Tesla power train is way over powered for such a vehicle. If companies won't pay a premium for performance they don't need in a delivery van then Tesla would have to design a completely different system. Maybe they are planning that anyway for the Bluestar.

Looking at those specs confirmed another suspicion of mine, that the Tesla power train is way over powered for such a vehicle. If companies won't pay a premium for performance they don't need in a delivery van then Tesla would have to design a completely different system. Maybe they are planning that anyway for the Bluestar.
Sounds right.