Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious curbed 21" wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generally don't baby my cars, but the MS is an exception.

About 2 months ago, I noticed a small deep scratch on the left rear quarter panel. I have no idea how it got there. Then two weeks ago, in the same area near the power port, I notice a 4" scratch, but not as deep. My car is either parked in my garage, or at my g/f's garage. I have no freaking clue where these two scratches came from. But whatever, maybe someone else did while I was parked somewhere else.

But today I notice the left front 21" rim has been "curbed" on about 30% of the rim. It's not a deep curb, but again, I have no clue as to where or how this happened. I *never* parallel park the MS, and if I hit a curb (even a little) I'm pretty sure I'd know about it or realize it when it happened. But this one "just appeared" like those two scratches. I'm also sure I didn't hit any huge potholes. A complete mystery.

I just spent the last hour reviewing all the footage from my dash cam from the last week or so, and can't find any incidents of where/how this could have happened.

Has anyone else ever gotten rim damage without actually hitting a curb? Also, nobody else drives my car. I'd think maybe some road debris hit the rim, but it's strange to look like it's curbed without affecting any of the surrounding fender.

The wheel curve issue was likely caused by road problems such as depressions, potholes or debris. I've seen this issue reported for the 21" wheels and the consensus has been that because there's less of an air cushion compared to the 19" wheels, that the 21s are more likely to bend. I think you should ask Tesla about it since they might have a fix for this, possibly including reinforced wheels.

As for the paint scratches, those could be caused by debris or by vandals (hope it's just debris). Also a good idea to ask your service center to take a look and make recommendations.

The wheel curve issue was likely caused by road problems such as depressions, potholes or debris. I've seen this issue reported for the 21" wheels and the consensus has been that because there's less of an air cushion compared to the 19" wheels, that the 21s are more likely to bend. I think you should ask Tesla about it since they might have a fix for this, possibly including reinforced wheels.

The wheel isn't bent, the front face along the rim is scuffed/scratched on about 30% of the diameter, as if you rode up too close to a curb. It sounds like what you're describing are bent wheels.

It doesn't take much of a depression to reach the rim. If you were on a street that was under construction, half had been scraped and half repaved and the bump between them wasn't smoothed out very well, you could easily scrap the rims going across that bump changing lanes.

No idea about your quarter panels. I'd guess they're from someone brushing their coat/jeans/purse against your car while going by it in a parking lot.

It doesn't take much of a depression to reach the rim. If you were on a street that was under construction, half had been scraped and half repaved and the bump between them wasn't smoothed out very well, you could easily scrap the rims going across that bump changing lanes.

Yeah, that could be it. I vaguely remember an "uneven lanes" area on the NJTP or some other road, I think a week or two ago. It was a big differential, and I did have to change lanes to the left to get out of the old lane into the new one. Man, that really sucks.

The more I think about it, that has to be it. There does seem to be some black tar residue on the rim.

thanks.

Yeah, that could be it. I vaguely remember an "uneven lanes" area on the NJTP or some other road, I think a week or two ago. It was a big differential, and I did have to change lanes to the left to get out of the old lane into the new one. Man, that really sucks.

The more I think about it, that has to be it. There does seem to be some black tar residue on the rim.

thanks.

Ha! getting curb rash without hitting a curb. That's a new one. (Sorry, that does blow.)

Just another entry to the ever growing long list of why the 21s suck. I have only seen one "pro" to the 21s, for aesthetic looks. Outside of that they should be avoided like the plague.

Just another entry to the ever growing long list of why the 21s suck. I have only seen one "pro" to the 21s, for aesthetic looks. Outside of that they should be avoided like the plague.
I've got the grey 21s and, uh, yea, I agree. I love the look, but I really wish they'd had turbine 19s or 20s at the time. I would have taken those in an instant.

I've got sort of an unusual situation right now in that I bought someone's old 19s and have those too. I'm not as keen on their look, but I figured I'd use them in winter. I'm debating getting the 21s repaired and selling both my 19s and 21s and getting the 19 turbine rims that Tesla now has. The only drawback is I really like my grey and the 19 turbines aren't aren't in grey. Plus...Tesla doesn't currently list them for sale separately :(

I took some photos of they mystery curbbing.. and one pic of the mystery scratch.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 206
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 195
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 201
I've got the grey 21s and, uh, yea, I agree. I love the look, but I really wish they'd had turbine 19s or 20s at the time. I would have taken those in an instant.

I've got sort of an unusual situation right now in that I bought someone's old 19s and have those too. I'm not as keen on their look, but I figured I'd use them in winter. I'm debating getting the 21s repaired and selling both my 19s and 21s and getting the 19 turbine rims that Tesla now has. The only drawback is I really like my grey and the 19 turbines aren't aren't in grey. Plus...Tesla doesn't currently list them for sale separately :(

that's why I went aftermarket with the TSportline 19" grey TST turbines... so you can have your grey turbines and besides they are cheaper than factory 19" rims too anyway.

that's why I went aftermarket with the TSportline 19" grey TST turbines... so you can have your grey turbines and besides they are cheaper than factory 19" rims too anyway.

That's also what I did for winter wheels + all season tires so the 21's don't suffer through the winter.

I went for the black matt/satin finish TSTs. Just got them on Saturday, and they look awesome. Now just to figure what tires to put on them.