Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious FSD discount for some Model X owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Family member notified me of the thread on the Model S forum, went and checked and our Model X with EAP is in fact down to $3k

Ironically this was just days after a back and forth with Tesla customer service complaining that I was never actually able to purchase it prior to the price increase. Their response ignored my premise by stating Tesla forums indicated the price increase, ignoring that I couldn't ever actually buy it before the price increase.

Noticed it at $3000 yesterday too for my 2018 2.5 X with EAP. Based just on the description from the App on what you get it did not sound like it was worth it if you already have EAP.

Attachments

• 58B62571-0902-4D74-899D-FAAF75EE1B17.png
    58B62571-0902-4D74-899D-FAAF75EE1B17.png
    51 KB · Views: 97
Yes, I saw it a few hours ago, just randomly looking at the app.. I have a 2019 X with EAP, and the upgrade is back down to $3k.

Still not worth it since there's no value proposition in terms of features between EAP and FSD

Presumably you already have HW3, because getting some future upgrade from HW2.5 was part of our value proposition for adding FSD a few months ago.

Presumably you already have HW3, because getting some future upgrade from HW2.5 was part of our value proposition for adding FSD a few months ago.
HW 2.5..

Don't see the need for 3.. if EAP can work just fine on 2.5, do I really need to spend $3k just to get a computer upgrade? I'm not gaining anything from a functionality standpoint.. Visualizations? I can see everything from my windshield, where I should be looking anyway.

Yes, I saw it a few hours ago, just randomly looking at the app.. I have a 2019 X with EAP, and the upgrade is back down to $3k.

Still not worth it since there's no value proposition in terms of features between EAP and FSD

Get the FSD while it’s cheap. Even if you don’t care about FSD a lot of functions depend on the HW3 computer. Auto Wipers, Auto Dim Headlights, Blind Spot, Lane Departure, Emergency Braking, Basic AutoSteer all use the Neural Net engine.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Just checked my app for my 2017 HW2 X100D with EAP and it shows $3K for FSD upgrade (and my 2018 HW2.5 Model 3 AWD with EAP shows the same).
I wonder if anyone with EAP will bite? EAP features still aren't all that great. I
Disagree. EAP has all the features I need so I’m not doing the upgrade. In several years, when FSD will unquestionably drive more safely than I can, I’ll buy it. For now, I love having EAP for freeway driving.
My best guess for a cause at this point is either a glitch or some sort of A/B testing... It's a bit odd how few people this discount applies to.
I don’t think it is a glitch. There are tens of thousands of S/X/3 EAP owners who this price reduction applies to. That’s a revenue opportunity for Tesla. This is an incentive for them to buy the upgrade. I have no idea what fraction of those owners will choose to do so. But it’s simple thing for Tesla to do; offer a discount and see if that increases the take rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: doghousePVD
I don't think it's for a few people. it just happens to be a small group of owners with an EAP package on MX & MS. I have 2018 MX with EAP and FSD dropped to $3K on my account as well.

I would agree, but the person who first posted about this on Reddit has a Model X with HW3 that was purchased in November 2019: FSD back to $6K : teslamotors

They would never have been able to purchase EAP before it split into AP and FSD.