Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious FSD discount for some Model X owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 November Model X. Late spring or Summer, conversation on TMC noting $2,000 price for FSD. Account page shown $3,000 price. Reached out via Tesla.com / manage and within a few days, price showed up on account for $2,000. Interesting there is no longer an area under manage where you can contact the service team. I guess all is on the app.

I’ve got X HW2 and paid for FSD. My app shows upgrades and also says I have all eligible upgrades. My brother in law has S purchased at same time as mine with HW2 and he did not buy FSD. His app doesn’t show upgrades. Is this because they haven’t figured out HW2 upgrade yet?

2017 MX P100D here, 2/17 build. Not 100% sure but I believe that makes it a AP2.0 car.

I purchased it used from Tesla early in Jan 2020. Car came with basic AP only per specs, not EAP. When I looked at Upgrades the first week I had it, FSD was an available $7,000 option. I'm one of the people that it reduced to a $6,000 upgrade option on 1/11/20.

Today, 1/16/20, I decided to go ahead with it. Purchased via owners account on website and was immediately charged to CC. Hoping it will immediately upgrade to EAP equivalent and put me in line to get a hardware 3.0 retrofit for upcoming FSD.

Just wanted to report in as I haven't seen a report of someone buying the 'cheaper' old-price upgrade yet, but I did, and was charged the $6k+tax price as reported.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Today, 1/16/20, I decided to go ahead with it. Purchased via owners account on website and was immediately charged to CC. Hoping it will immediately upgrade to EAP equivalent and put me in line to get a hardware 3.0 retrofit for upcoming FSD.

Just wanted to report in as I haven't seen a report of someone buying the 'cheaper' old-price upgrade yet, but I did, and was charged the $6k+tax price as reported.

Yeah, I think you're the first! Thanks for the update. Lane-change, NOA, and Summon should appear on your vehicle within 3 days, I believe.

Let us know if it goes through. I think you have a small chance of an email from Tesla saying "Whoops. That was a glitch, sorry it was meant to be $7k."

Quick follow-up, only about 30 minutes after I purchased the $6k FSD I had to run an errand in the car and was greeted with a "Your Full Self-Driving Capability upgrade was successful" message. Tried out EAP-style lane-change during Autopilot and confirmed it works, first time I've had the feature. So, I believe I can confirm these prices and updates are the real deal.

IMG-1418.jpg

Dude all those features will work better with a NeuralNet computer that can do 23x more frames per second than HW2.5 let alone what HW2 does.

Especially smart summon. HW3 seems to be required for dealing with additional entities other than cars (cones, stop signs, etc.) I imagine in the near future there's going to be a quick divergence between the smart summon performance of HW2 and HW3.

That being said, have we heard of a single upgrade from 2.0 to 3? So far it's all been 2.5 to 3, right?

I realize that but you were implying that those features just don't exist without FSD or HW3. That's not true. They probably don't perform as well as a HW3 car but they don't depend on that HW3 suite.

Not implying that at all. You want all those features to work the best they can. I listed every feature that depends on neural nets. Faster frame rates can make it smoother and safer.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Not implying that at all. You want all those features to work the best they can. I listed every feature that depends on neural nets. Faster frame rates can make it smoother and safer.
No. Best performance of those features depends on a Neural Net. The fact that those features exist now in a car with old hardware, like mine, means that those features don't depend on the new hardware. It makes no sense to claim that those features depend on HW3 when thousands of people use those features daily on cars without HW3.

When you say those features "depend" on HW3 and a neural net, you're implying that they can't exist without it.

Reactions: croman
No. Best performance of those features depends on a Neural Net. The fact that those features exist now in a car with old hardware, like mine, means that those features don't depend on the new hardware. It makes no sense to claim that those features depend on HW3 when thousands of people use those features daily on cars without HW3.

When you say those features "depend" on HW3 and a neural net, you're implying that they can't exist without it.

No, I’m implying they will improve with a faster neural net engine. You can believe what ever your heart desires. And I will too.

No different than MCU2 can do things better than MCU1. You going to deny that too?

Dude all those features will work better with a NeuralNet computer that can do 23x more frames per second than HW2.5 let alone what HW2 does.

Still waiting on the install for that 23X x2 for our cars. I keep cars forever. So I have a time frame that is different than most. Forever is not a time that most people keep their car.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
3/2018 MX with EAP/MCU1/AP2.5 seeing the $3K upgrade price. Tempted to purchase it but since I have EAP already I don't see any near-term benefits. If it was guaranteed I will be upgraded to AP3 & MCU2 within a year I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller