TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mysterious static/hissing noise

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Slidr, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Slidr

Slidr New Member

Looking for help troubleshooting:

Recently picked up my new Tesla M3 and after a day of driving noticed this sound coming from underneath/behind the glove box. (Link to the sound - ). I notice that it comes on after driving the car for a short amount of time and stays on even if the car is off. I have done everything I can think of (disconnecting blue tooth, adjusting speaker balance, playing multiple alert sounds, etc) to try and see if I could pin point a cause. But nothing works, it’s just persistent as ever.

Took it into the service center and they thought it was an “emergency speaker” that was malfunctioning. They replaced it after a week, yet on my drive home (after I sat in the service center parking lot for 30 min) it was back. So I’m turning to the brilliant minds of this forum for help before my next visit... any thoughts?

Appreciate any ideas to help me and/or the service center figure this out. Thanks.

The link again:

2. Ames

Ames Member

Could it be related to the air conditioning? It sounds like the hiss of an expansion valve, possibly with low levels of gas. Try not driving but running the AC for a few minutes when it's hot outside and see if that triggers it.

3. Slidr

Slidr New Member

Initially that’s what I thought as well. But haven’t been able to identify a trigger. Once it’s starts it does not seem to go away until the car is parked for some time (couple hours). I’ll give your idea a shot

Service center was fairly convinced it was the speaker.. but I am skeptical since getting it back from them with this unresolved issue..

4. Regenshire

Regenshire Member

I heard this noise the other day and pulled over to try to figure it out. It went away after about 5 minutes of being on and I haven't heard it since. I also though it sounds like it was coming from behind the glove-box. Its a very subtle sound, but my ears picked it up.

The pumps that deal with the HVAC and cooling system for the battery and electrical components are roughly in that area I believe, so I am guessing it is a sound related to the cooling system.

5. kl118

kl118 Member

Picked up my car a few weeks ago, and noticed the exact same sound on my drive to work this morning. I initially thought it was coming from the right front door speaker and upon further inspection after I parked, I noticed it came from under the glovebox. While hearing it, I tried things like turning off a/c, changing radio stations, turning down radio, but nothing seemed to work. It did go away upon re-entering the car after making a quick 10 minute stop at the store. After looking through various forums, some service centers have said it is normal, which I do not believe. Any solutions will definitely be helpful.

6. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

Please Help! - Strange noise coming from the passenger side footwell

Hoping to get some help from someone as Tesla Service has no idea.

This sound is coming from the passenger side footwell of my Model 3. It is sporadic, but kinda annoying.

Happens sometimes while driving (harder to hear), but I usually hear it best when i have just parked.

Has anyone experienced this noise, and if so, has Tesla been able to help find the cause for you?

I'm wondering if it's the watercooling for the computer... but the problem is that when i brought it in to Tesla... they couldn't repeat the sound.

Thanks!

Same here.

7. dvaz23

dvaz23 New Member

Exact same problem for a few months. I'm seeing a number of posts on this problem on the web but yet to see a solution. was anyone able to get it resolved? Thanks!