Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious static/hissing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine started today out of nowhere. It’s not as loud as some others I have heard on YouTube. It’s clearly the speaker under the glove box. I just put some painters tape (non abrasive) over the speaker and it’s now not audible. It’s so far under the passenger side you can’t event see it even set all the way back in the passenger seat. Not worth fretting over and if a fix is ever discovered eventually I’ll get it serviced.

That sounds a lot like a ventilation fan motor going bad. I've had that happen twice on another car and replaced the fan/motor assembly myself. Audis have these fans located under the glovebox; I'm guessing it's quite likely that Tesla places them in the same location.

With the Audi, it was obvious. Ventilation on = squeaky sound, ventilation off = no sound. It's possible that the Model 3 uses some of that airflow to cool other components, such as the computer. The fan could stay on even when the cabin ventilation is off, so hearing the sound when the ventilation is off does not eliminate the fan motor as a potential cause.

It's definately coming from the speaker. I even popped the panel off and put my ear to the speaker. Tried to trace the wire to see if it was up against something and picking up interference but no luck.

I may go the painters tape route. Hopefully someone gets an answer

It's definately coming from the speaker. I even popped the panel off and put my ear to the speaker. Tried to trace the wire to see if it was up against something and picking up interference but no luck.

I may go the painters tape route. Hopefully someone gets an answer

Touch the speaker cone with your finger. If the sound stops, then that's it.

Exact same problem here. It is present most times I start the car and goes away most of the time by 10 minutes. Seems to occur more when cold.
VIN: F117547

If it is coming from a passenger footwell 'emergency speaker', as others have commented, perhaps an inline ground loop isolator can work? I have a service appointment at the end of this month.

Example of noise:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MPdQ8QaYHvJox7bg9

Has anyone found a solution outside of unplugging the speaker or covering speaker with painters tape?

Exact same problem here. It is present most times I start the car and goes away most of the time by 10 minutes. Seems to occur more when cold.
VIN: F117547

If it is coming from a passenger footwell 'emergency speaker', as others have commented, perhaps an inline ground loop isolator can work? I have a service appointment at the end of this month.

Example of noise:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MPdQ8QaYHvJox7bg9

Has anyone found a solution outside of unplugging the speaker or covering speaker with painters tape?

That's definitely the sound, and yeah, seems to be when cold. Keep us in the loop of the fix! Here's hoping it's making the noise when you take it in.

That's definitely the sound, and yeah, seems to be when cold. Keep us in the loop of the fix! Here's hoping it's making the noise when you take it in.

The noise was indeed coming from the speaker under the glove box. I unplugged the mysterious speaker and the noise stopped.
It seems to be coil whine, ground loop or EMI being picked up by the speaker wire and broadcast through the speaker. I tried a different speaker attached to the leads with the same noise. Incidentally the speaker wire is unshielded but I cannot trace it back to its origin.

The part number on this speaker is 1118894-00-a. I don't see this listed anywhere on the parts catalog or internet. I tested every noise the car makes, from park sensors to autopilot and nothing is missing after I disconnected this speaker. I am going to keep it disconnected or muffle the speaker as others have done here.

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_140036.jpg
    IMG_20190114_140036.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 135
I brought my car into service for this issue today, and I forgot to mention to them to listen for it without music, so they did not hear it. They told me to pick up the car and do a bug report if it happened again. As I got in my car to drive home, the noise started up again and I brought the service adviser out and she was able to hear it as well. She drove it around to the back garage, and after she pulled in, the noise stopped and the technician was not able to hear the noise. Apparently there is a service bulletin for this issue and the fix is NOT a replacement of the speaker (I don't know the exact fix), however they would not fix it if the technician themselves do not hear the noise. I find this silly because the service adviser clearly heard it and they still will not fix it unless the technician can replicate it. I'm leaving my car there for another day, however I don't have high hopes.

I brought my car into service for this issue today, and I forgot to mention to them to listen for it without music, so they did not hear it. They told me to pick up the car and do a bug report if it happened again. As I got in my car to drive home, the noise started up again and I brought the service adviser out and she was able to hear it as well. She drove it around to the back garage, and after she pulled in, the noise stopped and the technician was not able to hear the noise. Apparently there is a service bulletin for this issue and the fix is NOT a replacement of the speaker (I don't know the exact fix), however they would not fix it if the technician themselves do not hear the noise. I find this silly because the service adviser clearly heard it and they still will not fix it unless the technician can replicate it. I'm leaving my car there for another day, however I don't have high hopes.

Do you know what the bulletin says?