Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious static/hissing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have some new information here (no root cause yet). My local service center said that the sound is indeed emanating from the speaker. Cause is still TBD, but they did say that the speaker is for a future feature that is not available to Model 3 yet. So for the time being, it's harmless to disconnect the speaker. So they disconnected it, and the sound is gone.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I just discovered this sound today. Static like hissing/whooshing sound from below glovebox. Glad to see there is confirmation this is coming from speaker. I setup a service appt (they said mobile couldn't handle) but I don't want to drive 2 hours each way if there is no fix. Ofcourse, the SA acted like he had never heard of the issue.

Outside the car there is a sound as well that will not stop. Kinda sounds like a mechanical winding type sound or a small electric motor. It is coming from the area where the 12v bolt battery is. Would charging the 12v batter have a sound? If so, could that speaker somehow pickup interference from it?

Any additional thoughts?

okay, battery sound eventually stopped so I think that may have been normal.

Anyone else have any updates about the speaker interference fix? I called Tesla again and they said not aware of the issue and cannot send mobile. If the answer is remove the speaker wire bc the speaker is currently useless I can do that myself and save a 4 hour round trip. Thanks.

okay, battery sound eventually stopped so I think that may have been normal.

Anyone else have any updates about the speaker interference fix? I called Tesla again and they said not aware of the issue and cannot send mobile. If the answer is remove the speaker wire bc the speaker is currently useless I can do that myself and save a 4 hour round trip. Thanks.

Well the temperatures are back in the 40s / 50s and the lovely sound from the speaker has come back. Did service ever give you an offical answer?

Anyone else come up with something? I'm just going to unplug it for now I suppose, but man I wish there was a filter or something they could put in place.

Well the temperatures are back in the 40s / 50s and the lovely sound from the speaker has come back. Did service ever give you an offical answer?

Anyone else come up with something? I'm just going to unplug it for now I suppose, but man I wish there was a filter or something they could put in place.

Yep, just heard it this week-end again myself (that's probably just because I happened to have to drive the car, otherwise it's sitting in the garage waiting for resolution on my service fustercluck).

It does seem to go away after a while and it may be location-dependent. If it's indeed interference played through the under-the-dashboard speaker, then it may come from either EM fields generated by the car's systems or from the surrounding environment. For me, it can be very obvious when I do a late-night or early-morning drive but it generally gets drowned out during the day, since the ambient noise level is generally higher.

If you unplug that speaker and successfully get rid of the noise, please drop a note here. I'll try to do the same myself.

Yep, just heard it this week-end again myself (that's probably just because I happened to have to drive the car, otherwise it's sitting in the garage waiting for resolution on my service fustercluck).

It does seem to go away after a while and it may be location-dependent. If it's indeed interference played through the under-the-dashboard speaker, then it may come from either EM fields generated by the car's systems or from the surrounding environment. For me, it can be very obvious when I do a late-night or early-morning drive but it generally gets drowned out during the day, since the ambient noise level is generally higher.

If you unplug that speaker and successfully get rid of the noise, please drop a note here. I'll try to do the same myself.

It most definitely is the from that stupid speaker. Thank god I found this thread. Tesla service is in a sad state - I first tried messaging them online (understandably they'd never heard of this problem (even after linking to this thread). After a first visit to Tesla Sunnyvale, they just said to capture a bug report (since it wasn't hissing then). After capturing bugreports and follow up to Tesla Palo Alto (they tried listening around for the problem and said bugreports probably won't record something of this nature) I gave up. So this weekend the noise started happening - as soon as I unhooked the speaker - no freaking noise (so much instant relief). I'll probably wait a few months for Tesla service to improve a bit, and ask them to just replace the speaker. Also putting your hand over the speaker and suppressing the noise will assure you it comes from there.

20190324_182837.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TeeEmCee
I was going to unplug mine but decided 3 layers of blue painters tape would probably suffice.

It's either quieter now, I'm getting old and deaf, or it's not making the noise...

Schrödinger's noise at the moment.

Only way to be sure it's not making noise is to show it to Tesla service. 100% quiet when they're around.

It most definitely is the from that stupid speaker. Thank god I found this thread. Tesla service is in a sad state - I first tried messaging them online (understandably they'd never heard of this problem (even after linking to this thread). After a first visit to Tesla Sunnyvale, they just said to capture a bug report (since it wasn't hissing then). After capturing bugreports and follow up to Tesla Palo Alto (they tried listening around for the problem and said bugreports probably won't record something of this nature) I gave up. So this weekend the noise started happening - as soon as I unhooked the speaker - no freaking noise (so much instant relief). I'll probably wait a few months for Tesla service to improve a bit, and ask them to just replace the speaker. Also putting your hand over the speaker and suppressing the noise will assure you it comes from there.

View attachment 390299

Did you do that or did the SC do it for you?
If it’s the former, can you reference any panel removal instructions? TIA!

On a side note, i walked past the car in the garage yesterday and I heard the respective noise just as loud from outside the car. I put my ear close to the wheel well and could definitely tell it was coming from the general area where this speaker is supposed to be. The car was locked and presumably asleep, i purposely unlocked it to see if i hear all the normal contactor and pump noises associated with the car waking up (which I did).

Sorry, haven't logged on for a bit. So here is the update. Mobile service did come out to look at it (end of February). Tech never seen this issue before but suspects it is because people just don't hear it. The static noise can be louder at times or lower (it was on the lower end during visit but there).

He confirmed coming from speaker. Took off the glove box door and lower panel to allow easy access to MCU. Since the speaker directly connects to MCU he first verified it was connected properly and no damage. He was on the phone a lot to the service center and it sounded like there is no official word about this from Tesla so they weren't certain how to handle. They determined since it was the emergency speaker that they could not disconnect and they believe the MCU requires replacement. They sent in a request and approval for new MCU and are supposed to call me when ready. I will have to bring it to the service center for this work (4 hr round trip).

I have yet to hear from them but I may wait until the new FSD MCU is available and have it fixed that way. Tech didn't really have a clue when the new FSD MCU would be available and said it could be as long a year. Just the other day I put painters tape on the grill because it was particularly loud and bothersome.

If they work on yours and remove the glove box door be sure to have them lay it on something soft like a towel. My tech laid it face down on my all weather mats and it put quite a few fine scratches on it (only visible in sunlight so I didn't notice after he put it back on when car was in garage). Not his fault as he was probably not aware of sensitive that material is.

Sorry, haven't logged on for a bit. So here is the update. Mobile service did come out to look at it (end of February). Tech never seen this issue before but suspects it is because people just don't hear it. The static noise can be louder at times or lower (it was on the lower end during visit but there).

He confirmed coming from speaker. Took off the glove box door and lower panel to allow easy access to MCU. Since the speaker directly connects to MCU he first verified it was connected properly and no damage. He was on the phone a lot to the service center and it sounded like there is no official word about this from Tesla so they weren't certain how to handle. They determined since it was the emergency speaker that they could not disconnect and they believe the MCU requires replacement. They sent in a request and approval for new MCU and are supposed to call me when ready. I will have to bring it to the service center for this work (4 hr round trip).

I have yet to hear from them but I may wait until the new FSD MCU is available and have it fixed that way. Tech didn't really have a clue when the new FSD MCU would be available and said it could be as long a year. Just the other day I put painters tape on the grill because it was particularly loud and bothersome.

If they work on yours and remove the glove box door be sure to have them lay it on something soft like a towel. My tech laid it face down on my all weather mats and it put quite a few fine scratches on it (only visible in sunlight so I didn't notice after he put it back on when car was in garage). Not his fault as he was probably not aware of sensitive that material is.

Thanks for the update! Painters tape seems to have muffled it, or it isn't doing it at the moment. I'll just hope it goes away whenever the HW3 swap comes for FSD.