TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mystery cable hanging underneath glove box?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by willow_hiller, Jun 3, 2019.

1. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Today I took the piece of trim under my glove box off to check the HW version (definitely HW2.5 for a late March SR+, if anyone's curious). There was also some sort of connector just hanging loose in there; it looked like some sort of multi-pin clip with only 1 or 2 wires going to it. I tried taking a photo but it turned out a bit blurry. Is this anything to worry about? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything.

mystery_connector.jpg

mystery_connector_hw2.5.jpg

• Love x 1
  2. sixela

sixela Active Member

Which connectors were actually really connected to something? On my RWD LR there's a connector to the footwell light and one to the speaker.

3. willow_hiller

On the trim panel, there was a cable connecting the footwell light as well as a cable leading to the speaker. Both were connected. This was a third one just hanging in the middle of the space after I removed the panel.

4. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

How can you tell if you have 3.0?

5. willow_hiller

The part number of the computer is underneath the glove box (you can see mine in the second photo, it starts after "(P)"). Here's the video I watched on how to access it.

HW2.5 starts with "1098058", HW3 starts with "1462554" Both of those numbers are straight from the Tesla official part catalog, so it's the most official way I know if confirming HW2.5 or HW3.

Has no one seen this type of connector hanging loose underneath the dash before? I'm wondering if it's something for diagnostics that was accidentally left plugged in...

6. sixela

sixela Active Member

In Europe, HW2.5 starts with 1483112. HW3 is indeed 1462554 (just like in the 'States).

Here's my EU HW2.5: HW3.jpg

• Informative x 1
  7. willow_hiller

Nice clear photo! I had trouble getting my phone at the right angle. Also, appreciate the bump to my post ;)

Are there any folks around here that regularly remove trim and look at these things? I honestly thought I would have an answer to my question really quickly. I cannot even find any good dash tear-down videos to compare.

8. willow_hiller

Well, I've driven for over 2 months now with no obvious problems. Maybe if HW3 retrofits happen soon, a mobile tech can take a look as part of that. Until then, the mystery continues... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. willow_hiller

Had a minor breakthrough while looking through another thread!

In this post, @b t c shows a picture of HW2.5 and HW3. I definitely have HW2.5, but this mystery clip on my 2.5 car is visible clipped into the front of HW3 in that photo. It's black plastic, and has one green and one red wire.

Is it possible HW3 has an additional peripheral that's put into new cars but not connected?

10. willow_hiller

Can anyone identify what this cable is for? Again, I have it just dangling in my dash with a March 2019 SR+ HW2.5, but it's shown plugged into HW3 in this photo:

hw3_cable.png

11. derotam

derotam Member

Ok, so now you have to tear your car apart and trace that cable out so you can tell us where it goes! haha

12. willow_hiller

I'm tempted to look under my front bumper. My intuition is telling me it's something like a pedestrian noise-maker speaker. What else could be connected with just two wires?

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Redundant power?

• Helpful x 1
  14. willow_hiller

Good guess! They did seem a bit thicker than speaker-wire.

15. willow_hiller

Found another example on Reddit. This time a SR+ manufactured in June 2019 with HW2.5: https://i.redd.it/q2cax86s6v431.jpg

Is it worth sticking a multimeter across those two wires? Or could that potentially damage something?