Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery cable hanging underneath glove box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
Today I took the piece of trim under my glove box off to check the HW version (definitely HW2.5 for a late March SR+, if anyone's curious). There was also some sort of connector just hanging loose in there; it looked like some sort of multi-pin clip with only 1 or 2 wires going to it. I tried taking a photo but it turned out a bit blurry. Is this anything to worry about? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything.

mystery_connector.jpg

mystery_connector_hw2.5.jpg

• Love
Reactions: not4antoher
Which connectors were actually really connected to something? On my RWD LR there's a connector to the footwell light and one to the speaker.

On the trim panel, there was a cable connecting the footwell light as well as a cable leading to the speaker. Both were connected. This was a third one just hanging in the middle of the space after I removed the panel.

How can you tell if you have 3.0?

The part number of the computer is underneath the glove box (you can see mine in the second photo, it starts after "(P)"). Here's the video I watched on how to access it.

HW2.5 starts with "1098058", HW3 starts with "1462554" Both of those numbers are straight from the Tesla official part catalog, so it's the most official way I know if confirming HW2.5 or HW3.

Has no one seen this type of connector hanging loose underneath the dash before? I'm wondering if it's something for diagnostics that was accidentally left plugged in...

In Europe, HW2.5 starts with 1483112. HW3 is indeed 1462554 (just like in the 'States).

Here's my EU HW2.5:View attachment 415212

Nice clear photo! I had trouble getting my phone at the right angle. Also, appreciate the bump to my post ;)

Are there any folks around here that regularly remove trim and look at these things? I honestly thought I would have an answer to my question really quickly. I cannot even find any good dash tear-down videos to compare.

Had a minor breakthrough while looking through another thread!

In this post, @b t c shows a picture of HW2.5 and HW3. I definitely have HW2.5, but this mystery clip on my 2.5 car is visible clipped into the front of HW3 in that photo. It's black plastic, and has one green and one red wire.

Is it possible HW3 has an additional peripheral that's put into new cars but not connected?