Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery connector behind cubby (and more!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When installing my Beltronics STi-R, I removed the cubby (quite easily, too) and found some interesting things. I searched and didn't see anyone else discover this.

1. There's a large connector just tucked into a hole as if to connect to something in the future
2. The plastics around the cubby suggest another little glovebox type storage is/was in the works for that area

IMG_20131221_191329_514.jpg

It's an OBD connector. That was regularly used by the service techs for diagnostics in the early days; I don't know why they then switched to using the one behind the dash end panel (left) but it was sometime early this year. IIRC there is also a third OBD connector behind the passenger foot well.

When installing my Beltronics STi-R, I removed the cubby (quite easily, too) and found some interesting things. I searched and didn't see anyone else discover this.

1. There's a large connector just tucked into a hole as if to connect to something in the future
2. The plastics around the cubby suggest another little glovebox type storage is/was in the works for that area

View attachment 38866

That has long been known to exist. It's for some diagnostics evidently. The's no space in the that area for anything but the cubby when a center console is attached so I doubt that any changes are in the works.

OK, with cubby pulled off... what's the trick to get it back on!? The clips sticking up at the rear are preventing the plastic lip at the rear of the cubby from fitting up into the slot it needs to go above. If you've had this off, you'll know what I mean.

OK, with cubby pulled off... what's the trick to get it back on!? The clips sticking up at the rear are preventing the plastic lip at the rear of the cubby from fitting up into the slot it needs to go above. If you've had this off, you'll know what I mean.

It's been a while since I pulled it out, but I think the sides need to be popped out a bit and the whole thing snaps back in.

One side can snap pretty much all the way in. I used a long flathead screwdriver to bend the plastic a bit allowing the other side to snap in place. If you've had this off, you'll now what I mean.

It did take about 15 minutes to snap it back in...the first time.

Last edited:
..just wondering what your obd2 dongle is actually doing in the car... there's no obd2 data lines in Tesla S, because there's no emissions

Hey, are you new here or something!?

Que? OBD = On Board Diagnostics. It's not just for emissions, and yes there is an active OBD2 port under the driver's side dash. You can get a bunch of cool info from the OBD2 port.

Que? OBD = On Board Diagnostics. It's not just for emissions, and yes there is an active OBD2 port under the driver's side dash. You can get a bunch of cool info from the OBD2 port.

Oh, i thought the obd style port was a token offering that had only power lines in it and no data lines, read that somewhere here. My bad.

The ports behind the cubby are proprietary, obd2 non-standard.

Oh, i thought the obd style port was a token offering that had only power lines in it and no data lines, read that somewhere here. My bad.

The ports behind the cubby are proprietary, obd2 non-standard.

I haven't gotten any OBDII scanner to work on that port yet. First car I've ever owned where they apparently got away with not providing required diagnostic data through this port.

Does anyone know where to find a connector of this type? I'd love to hook something up, but prefer not to mess with the connector or cables themselves.
My suggestion? Go to an electronics hobbyist supply store. the good ones should be able to rig up something you can connect reliably with. You probably are not going to find the actual mating connector. I did just this with the connectors to the trunk lights. That too is a proprietary connector. The electronics mob found me sockets to fit the pins with an attached piece of cable. By fitting two of them, i was able to reversibly tap in to the connector. Since I am in Australia, i cannot suggest a particular store in the USA. Here in Australia, no problem.