Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery connector behind cubby (and more!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how u remove and replace the cubby. Pull this little piece out from under the cubby. It's held on by 2 snap connectors. Then pull cubby down and out. Do the reverse to replace. Easy peasy.
IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6205.JPG

Thanks! ..and to remove that piece of trim I found it was necessary to pull the sides of the lower storage console away from the console.

So the steps to remove cubby are
1. Side trims pulled away, not totally off but just the front half under the cubby
2. Pull that little piece of trim shown above
3. Pull cubby down, and off

Install is reverse order.

The reason I took cubby off was so I could operate on it by adding another cubby to it. So now I have a double decker cubby. The additional one was made from a $5 plastic bin from the hardware store, it happened to be lined with an antislip mat moulded in. I think its meant for keeping misc articles in a drawer organized.

But I cut away one of the sides to make the box into a shelf, and now have a little cubby shelf under the original cubby for more stuff. Call it a cubby buddy, or a double cubby... but not a cubby cubby because that implies nesting cubby with cubby - not the case here.

The result of doing this extends the center stack down more but you can still fit stuff under that in the yacht floor area. A side effect of having extended the cubby is there's no way to fit that little piece of trim back on underneath the cubby, so I just left it off for good. The clips on the cubby along are strong enough to hold whatever you might put in there, even a solid block of metal.

For service, the double cubby just pulls down and out as one unit to get access to the diagnostic cables. And is now a lot easier and faster to get off amd put back on with that trim bit missing.

Here's the reason I wanted another cubby: for my front low-mounted camera, so I can see when I'm going to hit the curb before I hit it!

3cubby.jpg
2cubby.jpg
1cubby.jpg

ta da!

That was a heck of a lot easier than trying to integrate an image onto the Tesla center console screen.

Tucks away when not in use. The power button is at my thumb when I reach to pull the monitor out by the handle.
Click on, park, click off.

There's other inputs on the screen... maybe 360* view if I add a few more cams around the car.

That looks great!
How did you attach to existing cubby

Two screws, one each side, midpoint on the edge.

When the cubby is off you will notice there is space on either side of the cubby box, outside of the boxed area. That's where the screws come up so as not to protrude into any area within the cubby area, avoiding the rubber mat in there.

This is how u remove and replace the cubby. Pull this little piece out from under the cubby. It's held on by 2 snap connectors. Then pull cubby down and out. Do the reverse to replace. Easy peasy.View attachment 93404View attachment 93405View attachment 93406

I could hug you right now!! Been searching for weeks for info on this. I bought a drop in center console from somebody on the forum and there are no install instructions except that you need to remove the cubby. Ok, step one done, that was easy. Got the center console in and it fits perfectly, everything is going great. Now to replace the cubby.... What the!! I've spent probably an hour and a half trying different ways to go at it. Probably 2hrs on YouTube and forums looking for answers. Thank goodness I found this thread.