Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
So, my Roadster (2.5, non-Sport) has a mystery noise that has shown up. I only hear it when the key is in the on position. It sounds like a cross between gurgling and a pump turning unbalanced, and seems to be coming from the area between the cooling fans and the front windshield. I have truly lousy hearing, being deaf on one side, so I can't find a more specific location. Not sure if it's louder when I open the hood and listen there as opposed to sitting in the cabin. It can't be the coolant pump, since that's running as soon as the Roadster wakes up. No alerts. Anyone have any ideas? (I'm going to have my rear diffuser replaced on the 14th, and Tesla SC said it can wait til then). Thanks for any ideas!

The only thing I can think of is the brake vacuum pump. It's located forward of the left front wheel, just underneath the headlight. If it is running constantly, you have a vacuum leak. The A/C compressor makes a lot of noise, but you can shut that off.

The only thing I can think of is the brake vacuum pump. It's located forward of the left front wheel, just underneath the headlight. If it is running constantly, you have a vacuum leak. The A/C compressor makes a lot of noise, but you can shut that off.

So, as a test, try stepping on the brake pedal. You should hear the vacuum pump run for a second or so each time, then shut off. If not, MLAUTO could be right...

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's definitely not that far forward. The A/C compressor is definitely not on - this is heard when I start cold in the AM. (The diagnostic menu shows that as off anyway.) No fans on, either. As to the brake vacuum pump, it shuts off after a couple of seconds when the pedal is depressed. Much lower tone than this. Anyone else have another idea? Thanks!

Last edited:
I just tried pulling the fuse (#4) for the washer/wiper to be sure - that's not it, either. While I had the fuse box open, I tried pulling the ventilation fan fuse (#3), and also the brake pump fuse (#22). Couldn't see any other likely suspects on the fuse list. Thanks for the idea, though.

So given that the noise starts when you turn the key, what part of the car wakes up at that time, that might have a small fan with a bad bearing? That's all I can think of...

If it is a bad fan bearing, sometimes a bit of vibration (knuckle whack) will cause them to change the sound. Maybe use a stick, so you don't put your arm / fingers in any danger. Tap around and see what happens?

Just don't run the stick into the fan, of course, though that would definitely get your attention.