TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mystery Tesla item/part: What is it?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ibcs, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ibcs

ibcs Member

Can someone tell me what the picture item is used for within Tesla? Supercharger / Model S or any other thoughts. I have no details, but was given this because I'm a Tesla crazy!

20140817_144106720_iOS.jpg

Top view shows venting

20140817_152229385_iOS.jpg

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Dunno, but somebody else has one, too.

4. mgdurand

mgdurand Member

Funny!

5. ibcs

ibcs Member

Too funny on grill. Still love ti know what it really is?

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Is it small or large? Would it fit where the license plate is or is it smaller? Larger?

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That's mine and I'd like it back, please. I need both of them in order to (sorry, NDA and all that, you know)

Answer # 2: You're in Ohio. There are a lot of contract manufacturers in that part of the country. Given the item's beveled profile - which would allow extraction of the finished piece - I wonder if it isn't the kind of mold that's used when it-isn't-an-injection-mold-but-that-other-kind. The end product would be a piece of "plastic" that has a sur-relief Tesla logo. ???????

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm in Fremont right now (again) & asked around. Best guess so far is that someone in the Stamping department was just fooling around. No one here has ever seen one before.

9. JPP

JPP Active Member

...getting lots of quality time at the factory???

10. ibcs

ibcs Member

About 2 ft long and 5 inches high. Thanks Bonnie, I just thought it was very unique knowing it was not to be found on the Model S or roadster I was baffled. I appreciate you asking at the factory.

---Kent

11. Teo

Teo Banned

#11 Teo, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    To me it looks like some kind of wall lighting. I think the holes are there to let out light. A fluorescent or led light could go in this thing and it could be attached to a wall.
    It could be lighting an outdoor wall for decoration. I think that's called facade lighting. It could also be a sign light. In this case I would expect another version that lights downwards so you could have a sign or poster in between. I found an example of this type of lighting here.

By the way at first glance I thought the holes looked like heat escape holes but the shape of the object doesn't make sense. Also it looks like the object needs to be mounted to a flat surface. Therefore lighting cover looks more likely to me.

000.jpg
    picture is from here

12. Barry

Barry Member

Cracking the whip on the X production line? :smile:

13. Zextraterrestrial

X. part

14. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

I don't know what it was, but in the trunk of Elon's car there was a stamped Tesla logo too, also out of aluminum. Too much fun with the Model X retooling?

15. tga

tga Active Member

Well, somebody gave it to you, right? Ask them what they know and where they got it. Walk the chain back. That seems like the easiest way to figure out what it is.

16. bonnie

If it is, then it is ahead of its time. Because they are not stamping X parts yet! I keep telling people that but no one wants to believe me. Honest. They are not stamping X parts yet. They're not. Really. If people think they've seen stamped X parts, they're confused. No no no.

17. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

OK...Let's change the rumor to the first model 3 part!:biggrin:

18. markb1

markb1 Active Member

They said they would have alphas built by now, according to the last shareholder letter. Wouldn't there be stamped alpha parts?

19. cynix

cynix Member

This must be the part that they've been "sourcing" for so long! Please return it so I can have my car :)

20. bonnie

Typically they don't make up dies and stamp those parts themselves. They have those parts custom made off-site. It's too expensive to make up dies & then turn around and throw them away. Better (cheaper) to spend the money on more costly custom parts, get them fine-tuned, and then make the dies when you have the parts finalized.