TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mystery traction control activation on dry road.

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mercury, May 1, 2015.

1. Mercury

Mercury Member

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

I was waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic to turn left at an intersection today. When it opened up, I hit the accelerator and the car felt very sluggish; it barely cleared the intersection before approaching cars were too close. I gave it more foot, nothing happened, so I looked down to see what the failure was. The little yellow "car sliding" icon was flashing, which I assume is traction control.

Of course, this was in Scottsdale, AZ and the road is as dry as a bone.

Wondering if it's just an occasional thing that other people see or if it's a big deal.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I don't have my S yet to say about experiencing this, but I've run into it a few times in my 4Runner. In those cases, it always appeared to be an oil slick or something from a rustbucket that got on my wheel and caused the traction control to keep sensing that tire slipping.

3. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

A bump or dump in the road can also cause the TC to activate although I'm sure you would have felt that...

4. youlikeadajuice

+1...bumps, dips and generally bad roads around here cause traction control to kick on for a second if I punch it.

5. ThirdMartini

ThirdMartini Member

Yep. Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. Posted asking if anyone else seen before. Clean dry pavement at low speed , not much gas and TC kicked in for several seconds. Have not seen it again.

6. Zextraterrestrial

I have the opposite, go to take off too quick and just spin a bit until I let off a little. Many times due to crosswalk thermo but others without it.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Unexpected traction quqon throw aqctqivaqtion on dry road qqq

Yesterday, driving at about 50 mph on completely dry ( no sand ) road ny Tesla's traction control activated for about ten seconds and pretty much lost power. Contacted support and they told me they would investigate and get back. I asked if it had happened to anybody else and they responded that to there knowledge it had not. Inaccurate response after reading this blog. Has it happened again or did you have the car serviced for this?