Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyTesla Alexa Skill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should provide àn API to allow developers to create apps. Then they could focus on improving the driving experience
From reading other people's discussion about this, it sounds like there is an API that people access and use, l but it hasn't been officially published or supported, and so could be subject to unannounced changes that break the third-party app. Also there are some security token issues that I think still need to be addressed in a better way, but there is debate about how serious this is in practice.

It would probably be fair to ask if there is any other car on the market that supports third-party apps through public APIs.

There is an API call to wake the car up first, then you check if it is awake and run your command instead of having to say a command twice. I use IOS shortcuts, not Alexa but I assume it’s similar. I use voice commands to open and close the trunk which is easier than using the app when your hands are full, start the climate control when walking to the car and my phone can stay in my pocket. I also have automations set up to check my calendar at certain times and if the kids have school it starts and warms up the car and sees how cold it is and which kid has school and turns the seat heaters on for each person etc. The automations are limitless.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I am using the MyTesla skill and it works for me, after my Model 3 wakes up. I have to say the command twice to get it to work because of the timeout on the first command.

Now, my question is, can I automate this task, tell it to 'turn on climate' twice with a delay between them? I then want to execute 'turn off climate' after that. This will start the cabin overheat protection for 12 hours. In the summer time, I have to do this manually and often forget only to find my cabin has heated up to 145 degrees! This routine, executed every day at say 9am would prevent that.

How can this be automated? Oh, and I also have my wife's Model Y in the drive way that I'd like to do the same with.

Have you tried using Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning? You can set this to turn on the Climate Control at a specific time each day. The Tesla vehicle does not have to be plugged in for Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning to activate. (The Tesla battery SOC needs to be at least 20%.) If you don't drive the Tesla then Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning will turn off after ~1 hour beyond your Scheduled Departure time. Not sure if this resets the Cabin Overheat Protection 12 hour clock.

I've got an Echo Show and an Echo Dot in my living room that use different 'wake' words. I've created an Alexa routine starting at 9am to have one issue the voice command to tell 'my car' to turn on the climate control and the other one responds, but it times out waiting for my Model 3 to wake up. I then issue the same command 20 seconds later to get beyond the timeout. 20 second later is have it say tell 'my car' to turn off the climate control. Still testing and adjusting, but we'll see if this works. I'll report back later.

There is a wake up command. Not sure how Alexa skill works but in iOS shortcuts

Do it as a loop to check for the car status and if it is online, leave the loop and go to the command

If you are an iPhone user, you could use the shortcuts app to create a personal automation to do this. There are numerous other apps (yeah, i know permissions to car data...) that give you a lot of actions for IOS shortcuts. If you peruse the iso shortcuts subreddit, you may find an example close to what you want that you can modify.

For example, I found a shortcut there that will get the car ready by waking it up (this is the major place it fails and I have to run it again, even with a 90 second timeout), read the internal temp and set AC or heat to the temp I want. It will also turn on the heated seats and steering wheel if needed.