Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mytesla page updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet nobody else is enjoying our discussion except us, Zaphod. :D

I see what you're talking about, but I think that's just light reflection at a tend bend. If it were a joint, I would expect there to be a black (or darker) line between the two pieces, since there would be no way for them to have that tight of a fit against such a complicated shape.

Bah, I forgot to share the picture first. See if this works:
GnjnNUVGKUwT4_T1CZpFgsbNYClnyPklcC-RpP2bRObTziULb7OkKt9irnc6XstFgOdXomD5Bj7VXUb_OKAefUn4r5_rqG1W_T-KYAGHlJuwWJquuRr3KpyYZsjlhI9eWxFagVTjcEEgmIOyjTE2sHzxGK1w8mHEhCcLwDtqPQyPVJspsiHT24TBnYvA826GC2uhDsR2iNt1QcT7wjFNL_OazoOlJlWAkNJJfRzJzMg6P6R0cCxPg9ODQd9cUSGxiulrlgMa1mS-l_mhBsVXdIr-8fE_nAZ0bq9u1VebpEegK3AsEP-vpOrLmknvmSA3NX9jlIm26rR9Gc0UFddhtOGhUXC41t7LArxVA1Al4e3NY20PYTmCckcZ-idTESiYJskW2-pz7ShBk7vpJa2E3N2Q45dah1al-bnSbRJLKHbpVePZEH_foBflD4Ww_1bfKwBlu_cG4GiOX2SRtgmoWR7cSPBNsWLNFvgYmM1Rh-69CVY-OWzJxG7AbDLF-0XsKYRvQ8pRYIdZuF4j5NiXoTX7svDWVSQJ2C3egqaHHZ53JiKaBpvwTNW_EmoTa1cbNKg7fH-pYnHBGIApdv3WkMyCGSPf3sr7=w970-h646-no

I don't know. I think the wheels from the Motor Trend car and the MyTesla page shows what I think is a clever cap. Whereas a wheel that tries to look exactly like a center lock wheel but is a fake is totally stupid. Tesla would be laughed out of the building with such wannabe nonsense. I would far prefer to think that they prototyped a center lock wheel and either will sell it as a high end option or gave up on the idea but still had it on the prototype (most car manufacturers do all sorts of things to prototypes that they have no intention of releasing on the final cars).

I see what you're talking about, but I think that's just light reflection at a tend bend. If it were a joint, I would expect there to be a black (or darker) line between the two pieces, since there would be no way for them to have that tight of a fit against such a complicated shape.
Yes, I think we are the only 2 people who are crazy enough to look at such minute detail :D.

I think you would be surprised on what kind of fitment you can get from one-off prototype stuff. Some plastics are kind of rubbery and softer which would make a tight fit when pressed into place.

I do see the line you are talking about now. I think that is just a mold line.

I don't know. I think the wheels from the Motor Trend car and the MyTesla page shows what I think is a clever cap. Whereas a wheel that tries to look exactly like a center lock wheel but is a fake is totally stupid. Tesla would be laughed out of the building with such wannabe nonsense. I would far prefer to think that they prototyped a center lock wheel and either will sell it as a high end option or gave up on the idea but still had it on the prototype (most car manufacturers do all sorts of things to prototypes that they have no intention of releasing on the final cars).
I agree, I think the general consensus on that wheel version is that it is indeed a cap. This other wheel version is where more disagreement is coming into play.

Would it be silly to be fake, pretty much, but you might be surprised that it's not that uncommon for automakers to do styling tricks like that. Keep in mind, there is probably small percentage of the population that doesn't even knows what a "centerlock" wheel is, so they won't even notice one way or the other.

If they truly wasted engineering time on a centerlock wheel, even for a prototype, I find that silly. Unless they borrowed some engineering from the next-gen Roadster, that is only way I can fathom that making any sense.

The problem with measuring horizontally is that the front of the wheel is closer to the camera than the back. But measuring horizontally, I only get 55 pixels for the dark grey center cap. I can't imagine what you're measuring as 108 pixels horizontally.

That said, I do now see a faint cut line on the silver part of the wheel. When I measure that vertically, I get 108 pixels. That would give an opening size of (21.5" * (108/448)) = 5.18". Assuming the 3 will have the same 5x120 lug pattern as the S, that might be enough room to hide the lugs. I hope you're right.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92
The problem with measuring horizontally is that the front of the wheel is closer to the camera than the back. But measuring horizontally, I only get 55 pixels for the dark grey center cap. I can't imagine what you're measuring as 108 pixels horizontally.

That said, I do now see a faint cut line on the silver part of the wheel. When I measure that vertically, I get 108 pixels. That would give an opening size of (21.5" * (108/448)) = 5.18". Assuming the 3 will have the same 5x120 lug pattern as the S, that might be enough room to hide the lugs. I hope you're right.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the wheel in post #27, not the one on the red car. The circle overlay is what I measured as the hub.

upload_2016-6-11_23-42-22.png

The wheel on the red car does look to me like it is a center lock, not lug nuts. What looks like a cut line is probably just the way the lighting reflects. It doesn't seem to be consistently located on each "spoke". Also, if that is a cut line I don't see what each spoke would be anchored to in the center. So the wheel would just fall off.

3 :oops:

I'm sure most have seen this, but in case not, here's the tweet with Elon confirming the silver prototype's wheels would be produced
Elon Musk on Twitter

@melindav,

I Do NOT like the rims on the Red Car at the reveal......to me they look like 'fit over hubcaps' and an afterthought.

I DO LOVE the reveal Silver Car rims (the rims in my Avatar) and am exstatic that your linked Tweet from Elon confirms these are making it to final production as these are the rims I'll go with on my build. Reminiscent of the 21" turbines on the current MS. I fully believe we will have 18" base and 20" turbine upgrade to choose from on the Model 3.

Ski

@melindav,

I Do NOT like the rims on the Red Car at the reveal......to me they look like 'fit over hubcaps' and an afterthought.

I DO LOVE the reveal Silver Car rims (the rims in my Avatar) and am exstatic that your linked Tweet from Elon confirms these are making it to final production as these are the rims I'll go with on my build. Reminiscent of the 21" turbines on the current MS. I fully believe we will have 18" base and 20" turbine upgrade to choose from on the Model 3.

Ski
Agree on the silver. Absolutely LOVE them. The ones on the red car I would be okay with, but a distant second to the silver car's wheels. The ones on the matte black I DO NOT LIKE at all. AT ALL. To me, those look like a hub cap from the 70s trying to look like what a wheel will look like in 2020. I'd go as far as saying I hate them. I trust Tesla's design style, but if these are the standard wheel, I'd figure out how to budget in the extra $2k, because those are not going to be on the car I take home.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the wheel in post #27, not the one on the red car. The circle overlay is what I measured as the hub.

View attachment 180504

The wheel on the red car does look to me like it is a center lock, not lug nuts. What looks like a cut line is probably just the way the lighting reflects. It doesn't seem to be consistently located on each "spoke". Also, if that is a cut line I don't see what each spoke would be anchored to in the center. So the wheel would just fall off.
Couldn't the "carbon fiber" spider in the center simply pop off to reveal the lugs beneath?
Robin