Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYWANNABETESLAPOWERWALL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey yall. Figured I would post a few pics of mywannabeteslapowerwall. We just went through another power failure (traffic accident this time) and our home built contraption came to our rescue again. It doesn't have to do much. Keep the fridge going for a couple days and keep the entertainment centre powered up so we can watch the Simpsons...I mean the news. :) We ran dedicated lines to those too items so there is no drama when we actually get an outage. They are always connected through the pass through automatic transfer switch so even if we are away for a couple days the fridge will stay on. Most of our outages are weather related, ice, high winds, thunderstorms etc. They are usually only a few hours but a few times have stretched into a day or more. Not good with a refrigerator/freezer full of food. We don't run anything else off it. Our cooking is done on a propane coleman stove and our lights look a lot light Ryobi 18 volt lanterns...mostly because they are. We have a whack full of ryobi batteries for the ryobi tools etc, so far so good.

The unit is a 2 KW sine wave inverter charger unit with a built in 100 amp 12 volt DC 4 stage charger. We limit it to 60 amps as it plugged into a standard household 15 amp 120 volt circuit. It has an automatic pass through transfer switch. We had it for years in our motorhome. Good unit.

The batteries are 2 X 105 amp hour deep cycle AGM's. Seem to be doing well after a couple years. Hope to get 10 out of them.

Its properly fuse with a 250 watt catastrophic holy crap fuse.

The breakered power bar on the left is input power and the one on the right is output power. Simple simple.

I figure it is about a 2 KWH UPS...well probably closer to 1.5 KWH but I figure the cool looking lightning bolts on the front and the name give it an extra 1/2 KWH. :)

Any way, for us poor folks, this is as close as I'll get to a real power wall. :) (Hey, it works)

Its tucked away in the corner of the garage. The neighbours get pissed off when the power goes out and they can still see us watching TV. LOL :)

Cheers.

50856821533_9df15a797e_c.jpg

50857635592_57c3c04e8b_c.jpg

50857538326_dbd0e2d029_c.jpg

50859941363_25dcde0123_c.jpg

Power outages are frustrating and can be costly no doubt. Interesting low tech approach. Shouldn’t this be posted under maybe the Energy, Environment thread as it’s not a Tesla Energy product?

moderator note:

I have been looking at this post, trying to decide if it should be in this section. On the one hand, its not a tesla energy topic because its not a discussion around either solar panels or tesla batteries. On the other hand, discussion of other battery technologies (as they compare or contrast to teslas) would, in my opinion, be fine in this section.

What I finally decided, was that this was a discussion of an "alternative product" to something from tesla energy, in which discussion in this section would be appropriate. The alternative product happens to be a home grown solution, but is still a "home running on batteries" discussion, and that this section might be able to both celebrate the OPs ingenuity, as well as possibly make recommendations on things they might want to look out for, or improve on.

With that thought, I decided to leave it here (but I did put some thought into it).

If anyone disagrees or thinks it should be moved to some other location on TMC, feel free to shoot me a PM or report the post with a note, and I can re consider.

end moderator note

No shame in your game. I was in the same boat. I still have 5 AGM batteries hooked up to a 5k inverter, there’s probably 3kWh of usable energy out of the 6kWh left.

I’m fortunate enough to finally be able to install a powerwall and still have the AGMs as backup to the backup.

keep up the good work.
D5BAEA75-7A56-4411-9F7B-F1B8D2854904.jpeg
10775BCC-1152-490E-89B4-2B8FA029A59C.jpeg

my control panel
6923F04C-2D75-4AC0-BF12-A7BD13B55CC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey yall. Figured I would post a few pics of mywannabeteslapowerwall. We just went through another power failure (traffic accident this time) and our home built contraption came to our rescue again. It doesn't have to do much. Keep the fridge going for a couple days and keep the entertainment centre powered up so we can watch the Simpsons...I mean the news. :) We ran dedicated lines to those too items so there is no drama when we actually get an outage. They are always connected through the pass through automatic transfer switch so even if we are away for a couple days the fridge will stay on. Most of our outages are weather related, ice, high winds, thunderstorms etc. They are usually only a few hours but a few times have stretched into a day or more. Not good with a refrigerator/freezer full of food. We don't run anything else off it. Our cooking is done on a propane coleman stove and our lights look a lot light Ryobi 18 volt lanterns...mostly because they are. We have a whack full of ryobi batteries for the ryobi tools etc, so far so good.

The unit is a 2 KW sine wave inverter charger unit with a built in 100 amp 12 volt DC 4 stage charger. We limit it to 60 amps as it plugged into a standard household 15 amp 120 volt circuit. It has an automatic pass through transfer switch. We had it for years in our motorhome. Good unit.

The batteries are 2 X 105 amp hour deep cycle AGM's. Seem to be doing well after a couple years. Hope to get 10 out of them.

Its properly fuse with a 250 watt catastrophic holy crap fuse.

The breakered power bar on the left is input power and the one on the right is output power. Simple simple.

I figure it is about a 2 KWH UPS...well probably closer to 1.5 KWH but I figure the cool looking lightning bolts on the front and the name give it an extra 1/2 KWH. :)

Any way, for us poor folks, this is as close as I'll get to a real power wall. :) (Hey, it works)

Its tucked away in the corner of the garage. The neighbours get pissed off when the power goes out and they can still see us watching TV. LOL :)

Cheers.

50856821533_9df15a797e_c.jpg

50857635592_57c3c04e8b_c.jpg

50857538326_dbd0e2d029_c.jpg

50859941363_25dcde0123_c.jpg

I think what that really needs is beautiful laser cut TESLA Logo and letters. It'll help with the transformation ;)