Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nürburgring lap time for P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has no one seriously tried to augment the cooling system of the Model S? This seems like tuning step #1.

Of course I'm assuming the computer limits output based on component temperature and not a model of temperature.

I've said before that this is possibly the biggest weakness of the Model S (the degree of said weakness is open to interpretation, however).

A car of this price/performance should be able to do at least ONE lap of the 'ring.

Did Tesla consider this during development and couldn't make it work economically? Or did they err on the side of caution in the assumption that an insignificant percentage of owners would ever do this.

This capability should be a future addition to the P+ package, IMO.

I've said before that this is possibly the biggest weakness of the Model S (the degree of said weakness is open to interpretation, however).

A car of this price/performance should be able to do at least ONE lap of the 'ring.
Why?

Or did they err on the side of caution in the assumption that an insignificant percentage of owners would ever do this.

Are you saying this is false? What percentage of M3 owners ever do one lap of the ring?

Yes *someone* should do upgrades for racing. Not necessarily Tesla themselves.

Ok, he hit the limiter about 3.5 minutes into the lap. His total time was 10 minutes 29 seconds.
Do you know what his driving strategy was? I suspect that you may be able to pull faster lap times by artificially limiting acceleration to something lower than the maximum so that the limiter doesn't cut in as quickly.

For example, limit power draw to 250 kW instead of 300-320 kW using your foot. Not that easy to do consistently, unfortunately. Would be easier with a "valet mode" which would let you set maximum power to a configurable limit.

Why make the car do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds? Why put in a 17-inch touchscreen interface? Why put in a battery twice as big as the next competitor? To make the car truly compelling with no compromises. I would have thought this obvious.

Are you saying this is false? What percentage of M3 owners ever do one lap of the ring?

Nothing of the sort. I was just theorizing as to why they may have abandoned giving the car this capability.

Tesla likes to make statements. It seems like a good Nürburgring time would have been yet another feather to put in their corporate cap.

Why make the car do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds? Why put in a 17-inch touchscreen interface? Why put in a battery twice as big as the next competitor? To make the car truly compelling with no compromises. I would have thought this obvious.
Because all of those things matter to an actual driver. While talking about what your car could do at nurburgring is a pissing contest.

...and that's coming from one of the few people that actually did a lap of nordschleife in their car.

Because all of those things matter to an actual driver. While talking about what your car could do at nurburgring is a pissing contest.

...and that's coming from one of the few people that actually did a lap of nordschleife in their car.

It's a pissing contest for sure, but the Model S should be able to do a few laps of any track at full power. Even if I could get ~5 laps in, I'd be able to participate in a time attack. As it is now I'd only have a shot at 1 good lap time.

You can on a smaller track ;) I did two laps on a 1km track very nicely and my battery was down to 76km range and after the laps was 54km left ;) Yet I didn't hit the limiter neither from low battery level nor from driving. But yes, on longer tracks you hit the limiter. The upside is that Tesla lists on the CoC that the max continuous power draw is 69kW and that is used around here for insurance purposes meaning that mandatory insurance is dead cheap as 69kW cars are small cars. So you get max continuous draw of 69kW, but burst draw up to 310kW. So 99.999% of the cases you get perfectly including the low insurance cost for most ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and just for eye candy, here's the car on the carousel corner

10485513_4418700041165_5888976687147207437_o.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR

Nothing of the sort. I was just theorizing as to why they may have abandoned giving the car this capability.

Tesla likes to make statements. It seems like a good Nürburgring time would have been yet another feather to put in their corporate cap.

Let's not forget that Tesla's circumstances during development of the S were very different than they are now. The idea of taking an engineering team to the 'Ring while there was some uncertainty about actually getting the car to market is just not realistic.

I don't know enough about electric drivetrains to know what kind of cooling improvements could realistically be made. It would be nice if the Model S could pull a non-limited 'Ring lap, but it's not something I care that much about. As good as the Model S is to drive on the street, a $100,000, 4700 track car just doesn't sound that appealing. There are better tools to use for that purpose.

I have done close to 100 laps on the Nordschleife. This is an unbelievable challenging circuit. Any laptime not driven by an experienced professionell driver does not tell you anything about the car's performance.

The Model S should clock about 8.40 without the limiter kicking in.

I never use the Frunk so I would definitely trade it for the ability to run harder longer. Hell, I would be fine with an ICE engine in the Frunk if I could keep my Carpool lance sticker.

As a matter of fact it was a go kart track :D :D it was part of an EV challenge set that took place at various locations over 400 km

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not forget that Tesla's circumstances during development of the S were very different than they are now. The idea of taking an engineering team to the 'Ring while there was some uncertainty about actually getting the car to market is just not realistic.

I don't know enough about electric drivetrains to know what kind of cooling improvements could realistically be made. It would be nice if the Model S could pull a non-limited 'Ring lap, but it's not something I care that much about. As good as the Model S is to drive on the street, a $100,000, 4700 track car just doesn't sound that appealing. There are better tools to use for that purpose.

I agree that there are much better things to use at the track, but they don't come with carpool lane stickers. I tend to bond with cars that I have the opportunity to use fully at the track even if that's not my main track car. Everything else seems more like an appliance and has little long-term compelling attraction without understanding how it works at 10/10th. Its also a matter of practicality. Sometimes I just want to drive my cushy street car to the track to instruct and have some fun. I don't always feel like packing up the trailer with my M3 track car or driving a few hundred uncomfortable miles in it to the track. With a street M3, M5, Panamera etc. there's no issue driving to the track and driving home. I can even leave straight from work on a Friday. The Tesla isn't practical like that.

I understand that the initial Model S dev may not have accommodated Ring laps but they are now going after the European market and being able to lap the ring is a pretty reasonable benchmark to convert skeptics in that market.

It would be really interesting to attack the Nordschleife in the Model S. I have lapped quite a few cars and there's nothing like this track. There are many downhill sections, for example right at the beginning through the Hatzenbach and the second part after the Hohe Acht. I believe the Model S could do quite well there.

If someone wants to try this, please let me know :-D

Model S full power is 320kW? If so that's already 3.7C current continuous. At 1C, Model S would deplete the whole battery in one hour. At 3.7C full to empty in 16 minutes. I guess the limits are set to protect the battery.
I emptied my battery in just over 1 hour on the German Autobahn. Here is the link. I stayed at max 1C (80kW). That was most often good for 125mph on flat ground. Avg. speed was over 100mph.

I rarely saw the yellow line. Only when I accelerated at SOC <25%.

The Model S is imho no race car but a Grand Tourisme. (Travelling long Distance at higher speeds). An ideal car for German Autobahns without speed limit.