TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

N&O: More Tesla dealerships could be coming to NC under Senate bill

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by favo, Jun 21, 2017.

1. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

#1 favo, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Article from the N&O:
    More Tesla dealerships could be coming to NC under Senate bill

Article from WRAL:
    Tesla dealership bill pops up late in session

I haven't found the actual updated bill text yet. The original House version seems to be here. Not sure where the updated Senate version will show up.

• Informative x 1
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The auto dealer cartel in North Carolina must really be running scared if they agreed to this. Now watch GM come in and try to get the legislature to reduce the number of locations as they did in Maryland.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

The bill is great for Tesla, good for dealers (they get some things) and bad for manufacturers that sell through dealers, essentially.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Am I reading correctly that the Tesla centers will only be allowed to sell used cars ?

5. TexasEV

No. The only used cars they can sell are the ones they get in trade.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Ah .. yes.
    That is also one possible way to parse the ambiguous language.

Do you know the intent ?

7. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

hope it passes!. I just want a service center in Asheville. It's only 60 miles away and would make my life easier

• Like x 2
  8. TexasEV

GM (through the auto manufacturers lobby) actually said having to sell through franchised dealers puts them at a disadvantage. Usually they use a euphemism such as wanting a "level playing field". This is the first time I've seen them say it's a disadvantage having to go through dealers:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/06/22/tesla-bill-stalls-in-north-carolina-senate.html
    Of course NADA and the state auto dealer cartels are always telling us the advantages of the dealer model. I wonder what they think about this statement. Food fight!

If the manufactuers feel their dealers put them at a disadvantage, it seems that is something they need to work out with their dealers. I don't know why the state should be involved.

• Like x 1
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I don't know why Tesla should be involved.

As for GM and the others, they benefited greatly from the dealership model in years past , one they were happy to set up when it suit them. So I'm really, truly sorry they don't find it helpful anymore. No, really. My heart bleeds for them.

• Funny x 1
  10. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

According to this article, the number of sales locations would be limited to 6.

I'm guessing Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston Salem, Wilmington, Asheville, and one more (Fayetteville?)

Tesla sales model gets relief in North Carolina in surprise late-session bill

It is remarkable that the NC Dealers Association has agreed to this.

This late in the session, I wonder if it will be reached?

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Ditto for me. While I like the service center in Charlotte, having one closer is always better.

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

They used the same language years ago:
    GM CEO Mary Barra on Tesla: 'We just want a level playing field'

What they gloss over is that they already had the cards stacked for them (the franchise dealership network helped establish their brand). The other way to "level the playing field" is to work with Tesla to relax such laws. But instead they choose to lobby to trip Tesla up (and is the only automaker doing so).

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Please note that Tesla does not have "dealerships". A dealership buys cars from a manufacturer and then sells them to the public. The manufacturer does not sell direct to the public. A dealership is an intermediary between the manufacturer and the marketplace.

Tesla sells direct. Tesla has "showrooms" where cars can be purchased (or they can be purchased online) and service centers.

14. TexasEV

No, that's the same level playing field language they've always used that I mentioned above, which implies disadvantage but doesn't say it directly. Now the automakers actually said they would be at a disadvantage if they have to sell through dealerships and Tesla doesn't. They've never been that explicit before, that I've read anyway.

• Informative x 1
  15. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I'm not positive, but I don't think there's any laws preventing Tesla from opening more Service Centers in NC. There's only laws that prevent more Showrooms, which this bill would relax a bit.

16. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

My Vote:cool:

Attached Files:

• Like x 1