Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

n00b navigation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like most of my posts so far, this one can probably be filed away under "sigh... just wait until you get the car! All will become clear!" so apologies for being annoying 😁 The good news is I'm only a week away from collection my Model 3 LR now, so these questions from me should end soon 🤣

But I'm just wondering how dynamic the routing via superchargers is on the navigation? Let's say I plot a route to a place, and it says that I won't quite make it so it routes me via a supercharger. However, I decide to hypermile at 60mph behind a lorry the whole way and so drive more efficiently than the navigation assumed. At a certain point, will the navigation automatically recalculate to delete the supercharger stop when it realises I won't need it anymore? Or do I have to do this manually?

Conversely, if the navigation thinks I'll make it to a supercharger but I actually drive at 80mph, really inefficiently, will the navigation spot that I'm not going to make it to the supercharger after all and dynamically reroute me via a closer one? Or, again, will I just have to keep an eye on this myself?

From what I can tell, the range that shows on the Model 3 is just the EPA estimate, rather than being a guess-o-meter like every other EV has, so I imagine you have to keep a close eye on what your SOC is in a Tesla if you're driving much faster or much slower than average, unless the navigation accounts for that for you?

The navigation re supercharging is totally dynamic, just drive.
Nice! So my reward for driving efficiently will be the moment the navigation drops the Supercharger from the route and the next stop changes to be my actual destination? That must be a nice feeling!

Having come from a few years driving non-Tesla EVs, this all just sounds too good to be true to me! 😄

If you think you won't need it because you're going to drive like your granny, then you can delete the stop and keep an eye on your energy graph (there is the burndown tracking estimated vs actual) so you can see if you think you'll really make it or not and then add a supercharger in

Reactions: AutomaticMan
The nav is all about getting you to the destination and not what you would comfortably want in your battery when you arrive. You could arrive with 10% but need 20% to get to a charger when you return....
I thought I might combat this by entering my journey as a return trip. So, setting the start point and destination to be my house, then add a waypoint to my actual destination in the middle. Then presumably the system would route me via a Supercharger on the way to the waypoint if it thought I wouldn’t have enough range to get to the closest Supercharger after the waypoint? Think this would work?

I thought I might combat this by entering my journey as a return trip. So, setting the start point and destination to be my house, then add a waypoint to my actual destination in the middle. Then presumably the system would route me via a Supercharger on the way to the waypoint if it thought I wouldn’t have enough range to get to the closest Supercharger after the waypoint? Think this would work?

Should work if you don't plan on going anywhere else once at your destination - so no taking friends and relatives on a blast :)

you can do that without a waypoint. Nav to destination, then on the list of directions, you swipe down to extend it and itl'l show estimated % on arrival and % estimated for a round trip back to the start point.

Since you can add stops, then a round trip can be done as easily, just like a single trip.

If you have seen some of the youtube videos, some of the people are negative and like to highlight their bad experiences. While others show the opposite.

Hijacking this thread for a question I have. I haven't got my Y yet but we are due to go to Scarborough for a long weekend not long after I'm due to receive the car (hotel doesn't have any chargers). Looking at the route there is one supercharger but it's nearer home than the destination. There are no superchargers I can see out that way and I'm likely to arrive on 30-40% (100 or so miles?). We'll be pottering around so could easily eat up 50-60 miles. To the extent that the car needs charging and there are no superchargers what does it default to?

Hijacking this thread for a question I have. I haven't got my Y yet but we are due to go to Scarborough for a long weekend not long after I'm due to receive the car (hotel doesn't have any chargers). Looking at the route there is one supercharger but it's nearer home than the destination. There are no superchargers I can see out that way and I'm likely to arrive on 30-40% (100 or so miles?). We'll be pottering around so could easily eat up 50-60 miles. To the extent that the car needs charging and there are no superchargers what does it default to?

You'll probably need to look at the other charging networks (I believe they are shown now and may even trigger a preheat - i'm sure someone will correct me), so start looking at getting the respective Apps and creating accounts.

I've used Shell recharge in the past and the experience was fine - I did have their own RFID card to make the process smoother

Reactions: Zanbar
Personally I use the podpoint chargers at the like of Tesco or lidl, 50KW chargers are the cheapest near me and most people opt for the free chargers there. 30 minutes should be enough to give you a decent boost.

Reactions: Zanbar
I think you are over thinking it.
I don't know, if I get to my destination with 10% SOC, but it would take 20% to get to the nearest Supercharger on the way home it might be good to know that in advance surely? I appreciate that in most places I can probably find a rapid charger from another network to use in a pinch, but that's a bit more faff.

If you're new to EVs, Zap-Map is good for finding chargers from other networks. Over time you will learn which networks are rubbish (BP Pulse, for example) and which ones are good (Instavolt, for example) and can filter down to those.

Also, A Better Route Planner (ABRP) will do it all for you if you want to experiment with that. I believe it can hook up to the Tesla API to get live state of battery charge and suchlike to base its calculations on as well, so I think this might be quite slick to use with a Tesla.

Reactions: cryo and Zanbar
yep get zap map and ABRP. Telsa started to show some third party chargers on its sat nav but not many so if you're around an area that doesn't have SCs then there will almost certainly usually be some rapids around. If you're lucky they'll take contactless. Ionity/shell recharge/instavolt/gridserve on motorways are all ok in my experience.

I've so far been able to avoid RFID tags or too many apps. Ionity needs an app but I did it once on the web. Others take contactless debit card. On top of superchargers thats been enough for me so far.

Many people prefer seeing estimates in % rather than miles, you can change this setting in the car.

I came back from a friend's house with minus percentage estimated, so car routed via Supercharger. I'd been "uneconomical" on trip out & at destination, so I knew I could make it back. I also know that preheat for a Supercharger takes juice AND that I could plug in at home. I think I cancelled the Supercharger explicitly just in case preheat cut in.

So -2%/-10% (whatever it was) became +6% (helped driving behind a lorry for a few minutes (really not long) until I was sure I had enough juice). When I got home, car said plug in right away. It does this as 6% when warm isn't 6% when cold and better to charge a warm car than a cold one.

If my home charger was broken, I'd have probably plugged in granny cable or toddled off to a public charger to put another 20+% in. As my home charger has never failed with the Tesla, that's a bit of overthinking/planning from me.

1) Available charge when cold, 6% when warm is too low otherwise
2) Non-LFP batteries best kept in a 30-80% range (roughly, cue arguments)
3) Er, I want some juice in case of emergencies

check "A Better Route Planner" :)
Oh, totally... I just advised someone else above to get ABRP so I know all about it / have used it a lot with previous EVs :)

I expect I'll use ABRP for very long, or multi-day trips. But for simple trips I'll try to just use the Tesla nav.

It looks like you can set ABRP to automatically forward destinations to the Tesla navigation system as well in real-time, which I'm interested in experimenting with. So you'd use ABRP for planning, but still use the Tesla nav for turn-by-turn stuff. At least, that's how I think it works from things I've read. Looking forward to playing around with that!