Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

n00b Road Trip Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all - I'm looking forward to picking up my black 85D tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday evening) and by Friday morning I'll be on a several hundred mile road trip. I was hoping I could get a couple bumps in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any time/thoughts.

• Looking over the bootstrap video this morning I notice you can set the charge limit to, as low as, 50%. What is the benefit of this? Why would I want to do that?

Seems the question about charging to 50% wasn't addressed. Normally that is done if you are not driving your car for a while. Only charge up to 50% , and keep the car plugged in. It is better for the battery at this lower SOC.

I've now seen several posts that I shouldn't charge all the way up. I was thinking that, at least for the first leg, coming out of my garage, I should let it charge all night to 100%. Is this not a good idea?
As others have said, it's bad to let the battery sit at 100%, especially when it's hot. If you need the range for your trip, then just schedule charging to end shortly before your departure and don't worry about it.

But if this is a long trip, beyond the range of one charge, and you're going to use Superchargers en route, you may not need to go to 100%. You want to avoid showing up at a Supercharger with too much "in the tank", since it slows your charge rate. Ie, it's faster to supercharge 10%->50% than 50%->90%. For fastest supercharge times, you want to start each segment with enough range to make it to the next Supercharger, plus whatever cushion you need to avoid range anxiety, and then only charge as much as you need for the next segment (leaving with segment+cushion).

Let me make one other observation: if you have a route without Superchargers, the speed equation is slightly different. As a practical matter a day's drive with only L2 charging en route is limited to two legs with a mid-day charging stop of some hours. Here's another rule of thumb worth remembering: try to only expend energy as fast as you will get it back when charging. If your charging stop has a 20kW HPWC, drive 55mph or so. If you have only a 10kW NEMA 14-50 to charge with at that mid-day stop, drive even slower, because the slower you drive the less time you'll spend charging and your overall cross-country speed-made-good is optimal when the discharge rate is equal to the charge rate at the next stop.
Can you clarify that logic? It seems to me that the longest you can expect to travel in a day without Superchargers is ~500 miles (two charges). Charge overnight, leave in the morning, drive ~3-4 hours, charge for 4 or 9, then drive for 3-4, make camp and charge overnight.

Why would you want to limit your speed to ~30mph if your mid-day charge is only 10kW? That would make for a much longer day, for what benefit?

The benefit Stevezzzz implied is that your 10kW mid-day charge will be far shorter, because you didn't use nearly as much energy while driving. Enough shorter that you'll save time overall. (Of course that doesn't apply directly to the last leg, where you will be charging overnight. Though driving slowly on the last leg does still mean you can leave the last charger sooner).

The numbers were run extensively in the Roadster days; I'm sure you can find some old discussions on it in the Roadster sub-forum. In the early Model S days there were a few numbers run comparing the Roadster and Model S; I don't recall anything really definitive but it seems the same rule-of-thumb ("don't drive faster in mph than your next charge") still applied pretty well to keep overall drive+charge time to a minimum.

The "energy" graph has two tabs: The first tab tracks you energy usage (or generation if going downhill) over your past 5, 15 and 30 miles. It also displays your consumption in wh/mile over the distance that you select. Don't flip when you start a long ascent and the graph shows an estimate of 65 miles left, this is just contemporaneous information and will soon increase as you reach the summit or the climb levels off.

The tab next to the energy graph is the trip estimator. It only works when you activate your next destination on the navigation screen. You can activate the destination after plugging in, or after you return but before resuming your journey. (I do it both times to give me a feel for how long I need to charge.) The navigation screen will show a miniature battery at the bottom of the navigation pane to the estimated battery reserve. Red means <7% battery reserve; yellow means 8-20%, and green means >20%. It also reflects the percentage as a whole number. You can then switch to the trip tab on the energy screen to see a graph of estimated consumption to reach your next stop.

It is important to realize that as of today's software, the estimated battery reserve only takes into effect elevation gains and losses and average driving speeds for the roads selected. It does not factor in current weather or highway conditions. If the roads are clear and there is little wind and no precipitation and your driving habits are "average," then the estimated reserve is pretty darn accurate. However, it does factor in current conditions and driving habits once you are underway. Because you are going to be new to all of this, I suggest that you audit your reserve periodically by viewing the the estimated reserve graph and compare the updated information to the initial calculation. You can then adjust your speed up or down to reflect this contemporaneous data.

My true story had me driving west across Kansas in May. It was 143 miles from Hays to Goodland. I left Hays with 94% battery, and the trip tab indicated that I would arrive with about 32%. There is a 1600-foot elevation gain that the software included in this calculation. However, the wind was blowing up to 35-40MPH from the northwest, so I figured that I would start out on the interstate at 62 instead of 70. After 15 miles, the estimated reserve was already down to 18%. I kept reducing my speed every 5 miles until it flattened out when I was going 48MPH! I kept my speed at 48 until I was 12 miles from the Supercharger, and I had a 12% reserve estimate. Then, I ramped it back up to 75, and made it with 7%.

Thanks all for the advice - the road trip was a complete success.

As it happens, we were just 20 minutes behind the collapse of the I-10 on Sunday. We got pushed off the highway at Chiriaco summit at 5:55, it collapsed at 5:32. We hung there for a while, then back to Indio for drinks and food to see if it was going to open back up (finally the news told us what we needed to know). Went backwards and slept in Palm Springs, recalculated our route, blasted down through Yuma, Gila Bend and finally back up to Phoenix.

The car was amazing and a true joy. Although because I was unfamiliar with all the nooks and crannies, it took a good 90 minutes to wash it when we got back LOL. All in all a superb trip in a stellar car.