Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NA Model S refresh has an optional CCS adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

The new Model S openers manual lists a CCS adapter as one option.
it is not yet in the Tesla store, but I will order it immediately,
Suddenly charging, especially in Western Canada, becomes easier.
supercharger buildout makes it less critical but it still is important.

There is a CCS2 Adapter operators manual that has been available since 2019 on the Tesla site, and it is also shown in my MY2020 Owners Manual, but Tesla has not offered this product in the North American markets thus far, for some reason.

Last edited:
There is a CCS2 Adapter operators manual that has been available since 2019, but Tesla has not offered this product in the North American
Probably because CCS2 does not exist in the NA market.

CCS2 is a Type 2 plug plus 2 DC pins.. and is the default for EVs in Europe and most of Asia Pac (ex Japan and China).

The TM3 in those regions comes with a Type2/CCS2 plug.
And post 2019 S/X have a modified Type 2 plug that works with a CCS2 adapter, and earlier cars can have a board upgrade to work with the adapter.

Indeed the latest Tesla V3 Superchargers in these regions only have a CCS2 socket so will not work directly with an S/X.

Type 2 (and hence CCS2) is default in these regions due to the use of AC three phase powered - so necessitating the 3 Line pins on the Type 2 socket.

The US with its split phase went Type 1/J1772

Plugshare lists many locations in the USA, including in my state of Kentucky, with CCS DCFC (DC Fast Charge) Ports. I assumed they are CCS2. Since the adapter is not available from Tesla, and I have other options, I haven't needed to research further.

There is a CCS2 Adapter operators manual that has been available since 2019 on the Tesla site, and it is also shown in my MY2020 Owners Manual, but Tesla has not offered this product in the North American markets thus far, for some reason.
That is true, but that is not what has just happened:
From page 178 of my new Model S Plaid owner's manual:
"Tesla offers adapters (for example, J1772, CHAdeMO, and Combined Charging System (CCS)) to allow you to plug into the most commonly used public charging stations..."
Until now there has been no official statement about North America CCS adapters.

In the EU Tesla made the adapters available for Models S and X because EU Superchargers were being covered to CCS. Many S and X required expensive hardware/software modifications to enable that adapter. For example the Italian Model X 100D I drove at the time was quoted Euro 500 for the mods. No surprise the offer was not accepted.

If the new manual is implying accurately the new S is already CCS compliant so only the adapter is needed. Possibly the newest Models 3 and Y may also be enabled.

Probably because CCS2 does not exist in the NA market.

CCS2 is a Type 2 plug plus 2 DC pins.. and is the default for EVs in Europe and most of Asia Pac (ex Japan and China).

The TM3 in those regions comes with a Type2/CCS2 plug.
And post 2019 S/X have a modified Type 2 plug that works with a CCS2 adapter, and earlier cars can have a board upgrade to work with the adapter.

Indeed the latest Tesla V3 Superchargers in these regions only have a CCS2 socket so will not work directly with an S/X.

Type 2 (and hence CCS2) is default in these regions due to the use of AC three phase powered - so necessitating the 3 Line pins on the Type 2 socket.

The US with its split phase went Type 1/J1772
But with NA fast CCS becoming popular the adapter already is needed. CCS does have a NA version with the core J1772 rather than Mennekes as it is in Europe.
The different core logic is certainly why Tesla had not previously made a NA CCS adapter.

The CharIn site does have all the regional variations of CCS. For anyone who really wants details here they are:

Reactions: DerbyDave
That is true, but that is not what has just happened:
From page 178 of my new Model S Plaid owner's manual:
"Tesla offers adapters (for example, J1772, CHAdeMO, and Combined Charging System (CCS)) to allow you to plug into the most commonly used public charging stations..."
Until now there has been no official statement about North America CCS adapters.

In the EU Tesla made the adapters available for Models S and X because EU Superchargers were being covered to CCS. Many S and X required expensive hardware/software modifications to enable that adapter. For example the Italian Model X 100D I drove at the time was quoted Euro 500 for the mods. No surprise the offer was not accepted.

If the new manual is implying accurately the new S is already CCS compliant so only the adapter is needed. Possibly the newest Models 3 and Y may also be enabled.
That is the same language that is in my MY2020 Model S manual.
"Tesla offers adapters (for example, Jl772, CHAdeMO, and CCS Combo) to allow you to plug into the most commonly used public charging stations in your region." Page 161.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
That is the same language that is in my MY2020 Model S manual.
"Tesla offers adapters (for example, Jl772, CHAdeMO, and CCS Combo) to allow you to plug into the most commonly used public charging stations in your region." Page 161.
Oops, I did not know that. I knew that language was in EU models but I had not seen in for NA models. Maybe I was too optimistic.
Not for the first time, but I'm still hopeful they've fixed that. NA is quite CCS-centric outside of Tesla so it's very important the further one goes outside of Tesla-dense areas.