Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NaA or NoA?

Radlaw

Charles
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
I'm beginning to like and use Navigation on Autopilot (NoA) less and less and using Navigation and Autopilot (NaA) more and more. NoA is too erratic with frequent, sometimes inappropriate, lane changes, which I invariably cancel, and sudden lane changes as it approaches an exit. NaA accomplishes almost the same goal as NoA but without the annoyances, and I'm able to relax more. NaA tells me where to go and I do it smoothly. Autopilot is on, so I get in the lane I like, set the speed and chill-out. If I want to change lanes, I do so at MY convenience, and when I want. What do others think about this and what am I missing?

Reactions: DR61

ikester

Dec 2, 2018
Seattle
Agree, I rarely use NoA anymore. Autopilot with me manipulating the turn signal when I want to change lanes is more relaxing. I disengage TACC on most off ramps anyway because the car slows more than I like in those situations.

whatthe2

Dec 16, 2016
Denver, CO
I'm beginning to like and use Navigation on Autopilot (NoA) less and less and using Navigation and Autopilot (NaA) more and more. NoA is too erratic with frequent, sometimes inappropriate, lane changes, which I invariably cancel, and sudden lane changes as it approaches an exit. NaA accomplishes almost the same goal as NoA but without the annoyances, and I'm able to relax more. NaA tells me where to go and I do it smoothly. Autopilot is on, so I get in the lane I like, set the speed and chill-out. If I want to change lanes, I do so at MY convenience, and when I want. What do others think about this and what am I missing?
I find myself doing the same thing.

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
I vary. Urban Interstates are often a little overwhelming for NoA. TACC with Autopilot seems to allow for easier compensation.
NoA on longer trips.

srs5694

Jan 15, 2019
Woonsocket, RI
I agree with @Radlaw; NoA just stresses me out. That said, I don't trust the car to do a lane change without supervision, so I have the NoA lane-change feature set to request a lane change but begin it only with my approval via the turn-signal stalk. Thus, there's very little difference between the two for me; NoA simply nags me a lot to make lane changes. It'll shift into the exit-ramp lane very quickly and without my approval, though. I also agree with @ewoodrick that NoA copes better with long inter-city stretches with little traffic.

One other annoyance of NoA is that it will sometimes start to signal for a lane change for no reason -- it hasn't suggested one to me, much less have I approved one, but the blinker just comes on. This is fairly rare, but it's extremely annoying. It's like the car has Tourette's syndrome. This has never happened to me in plain Autopilot.

Paddy3101

Mar 20, 2019
San Diego, US
I use both, just toggling between the two with the blue button, depending on how much control I want to have. If it specifically want the car to stick to the lane i'm in for any reason, I turn it off. When I want it to think about changing lanes to pass, I turn it back on again.

For some junctions, or when it's particularly busy and I want to push on, or to avoid bad bits of road surface, I'll revert down to TACC or shock-horror, I drive it myself!!!

Just don't use it off the freeway at-all. (other than to try it out every now and again when its quiet).

bijan

Aug 7, 2018
Oakville Ontario Canada
One other annoyance of NoA is that it will sometimes start to signal for a lane change for no reason -- it hasn't suggested one to me, much less have I approved one, but the blinker just comes on. This is fairly rare, but it's extremely annoying. It's like the car has Tourette's syndrome. This has never happened to me in plain Autopilot.

It does this to indicate when not making a lane change (if that makes sense). Like if you're on a two lane road and either lanes split in two and you stay in the lane that keeps going on the current road it will signal to indicate you're not turning (that is if you're in the left lane it'll signal right, or vice versa).

bijan

Aug 7, 2018
Oakville Ontario Canada
Do the HOV lanes have a solid line between them and the other lanes? My NoA won't cross a solid line by itself.

They're solid when you can't cross and dotted when you're supposed to. Problem is map data doesn't have them marked as such and often it will suggest you get off all the time as soon as you get on. Other places the map is fine and it works ok.

Local specific road in Toronto area but QEW doesn't work but 403 HOV does work as intended. So almost certainly map data as those roads are pretty close/adjacent.

run-the-joules

Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Do the HOV lanes have a solid line between them and the other lanes? My NoA won't cross a solid line by itself.

Depends on where you are. The issue I have currently is that my part of the Bay Area has time-based HOA lanes. Between 7-10am and 3-7pm, the leftmost lane is HOA. But the car doesn't understand those, so it's reluctant to stay in that lane. Worse yet, it doesn't have ANY understanding or knowledge of the left-side onramps and offramps that exist at some points for HOV use, so the routing during HOV times is terrible and it tries to start moving over miles in advance for a right-hand exit.

jdcollins5

Aug 14, 2018
Wilmington, NC

You do know that you can leave Lane Change Confirmation on and use NoA with you controlling lane changes? That is what I do.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
You do know that you can leave Lane Change Confirmation on and use NoA with you controlling lane changes? That is what I do.
Exactly what I do. I require lane change confirmation because I would override it more often than I would let it go ahead. Haven't played with it much since I got 2019.36.x though.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I would like the option to use AutoPilot with navigation without using NOAP.
Then turn off the Automatic NOA. Then when you start a Nav journey, the button will not automatically start out Blue and it will be off. When you engage AP it will have the double blue lane lines instead of the single wide stripe in the middle of the lane. If and when you actually want NOA, just touch the button while Nav is active.

Reactions: Kabillyhop

Kabillyhop

Jul 30, 2019
Toronto
Then turn off the Automatic NOA. Then when you start a Nav journey, the button will not automatically start out Blue and it will be off. When you engage AP it will have the double blue lane lines instead of the single wide stripe in the middle of the lane. If and when you actually want NOA, just touch the button while Nav is active.
Thank you!!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC