Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag in Model S versus Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I always keep my hands on the wheel. Trying to understand how autopilot nag works in the refresh model S compared to model 3. In the last year I seemed to have figured out how to keep from getting put into autopilot jail, but today I was jailed twice with what seemed like no warning. Am I correct that the S shows some white texture on the top of the small screen when it is unhappy as opposed to the 3 that has blue stuff on the big screen? Is there text on the small screen in the S before it gets mad? Is the cabin camera very sensitive to looking at the big screen in the S?

The S has:

Icon in the IC
Icon in the IC with white top/bottom edges
Icon in the IC with white top/bottom edges and beep beep
AP Jail

If you have a pre-refresh S, then all you have is the torque sensor. Keeping weight on the wheel, applying slight turning force, or flicking a scroll wheel will reset. If you have a refresh S, then you have the same camera-based system that the 3/Y do.

The S has:

Icon in the IC
Icon in the IC with white top/bottom edges
Icon in the IC with white top/bottom edges and beep beep
AP Jail

If you have a pre-refresh S, then all you have is the torque sensor. Keeping weight on the wheel, applying slight turning force, or flicking a scroll wheel will reset. If you have a refresh S, then you have the same camera-based system that the 3/Y do.
Interesting. I completely missed the white on the bottom edge. The sky was reflecting on the IC today, making it hard to see the white at the top. Still learning to focus on the IC not the touchscreen. The 3 taught me to not look there

Not noticing the white edges seems to happen more often now that I have 2022.24.5 . Unfortunately it seems I have to learn to make watching the IC a higher priority when using AP than watching the road. I wish there was an (optional) way to replace the white band with some sort of audible warning for those of us plagued with false positive "not paying attention/hands off wheel" warnings

In my plaid I found it I take my eyes off the road for more than a few seconds (worse when looking down at a phone or the screen) the car quickly reminds you to keep your eyes on the road. Nudging the yoke does not help here, the only remedy is looking forward.
I believe it's less strict if it can see your eyes better (without sunglasses)

Edit, I am on FSD Beta. 2022,12.3.20

In my plaid I found it I take my eyes off the road for more than a few seconds (worse when looking down at a phone or the screen) the car quickly reminds you to keep your eyes on the road. Nudging the yoke does not help here, the only remedy is looking forward.
I believe it's less strict if it can see your eyes better (without sunglasses)

Edit, I am on FSD Beta. 2022,12.3.20
I'll have to try that. Do you get a different message or sound when it reminds you? I had FSD Beta 2022.12.3.20 on my M3 and didn't have problem with Autopilot disengaging. It does seem to have gotten worse in the S since I updated to 2022.24.5. How long did you have the Plaid before you got FSD beta?

I'll have to try that. Do you get a different message or sound when it reminds you? I had FSD Beta 2022.12.3.20 on my M3 and didn't have problem with Autopilot disengaging. It does seem to have gotten worse in the S since I updated to 2022.24.5. How long did you have the Plaid before you got FSD beta?
Yes, it says something to the effect "keep your eyes on the road"

I got the plaid almost exactly a yr ago. Aug 27, 2021. I didnt' apply for the beta until the 2nd round. I think it was May or June. Once I enrolled, after about 200 miles I got the update.

Yes, it says something to the effect "keep your eyes on the road"

I got the plaid almost exactly a yr ago. Aug 27, 2021. I didnt' apply for the beta until the 2nd round. I think it was May or June. Once I enrolled, after about 200 miles I got the update.
That may explain some of the strangeness. I may be seeing the the warning and tugging on the wheel looking at the message to see it has disappeared, when what it wants is for me to not look at the screen or tug on the wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My experience with teslavision is in line with above. Seems ever so slightly smoother than before, follow distance at 2 is only slightly longer than it was at 1, and zero phantom braking incidents so far.

In-cabin camera attention tracking seems to be working very well, sunglasses or not.