Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag intervals in V10 Local Roads Vs Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I've definitely noticed more frequent "hold the wheel" nags in V10 when I am driving on local roads (non highways).

But I found this video where the driver actually times it.

Local Road (50 mph)
1st nag to 2nd nag: 12 seconds
2nd nag to 3rd nag: 11.25 seconds

Highway (80 mph)
1st nag to 2nd nag: 22 seconds
2nd nag to 3rd nag: 21 seconds

We see much shorter nags on local roads, half what they are on the highway.

I actually booked a service appointment with a request to downgrade to v9. The nags are killing it for me now. Completely unusable crap.

Are you serious?!?! You want to give up all of the new features in V10 just because of nags???? You do realize that Tesla will probably reduce the nags again. The increased nags are just temporary.

You'd think if the system were actually safer that it would decrease the nags.

I definitely noticed the local road nag doubled but didn't notice highway is untouched.

FYI, nag is half mile now. Speed doesn't matter other than half mile comes more frequently. Used to be a mile with v8, or with v7, none. I guess locals is now quarter mile. Cripples the point.

You'd think if the system were actually safer that it would decrease the nags.

I definitely noticed the local road nag doubled but didn't notice highway is untouched.

FYI, nag is half mile now. Speed doesn't matter other than half mile comes more frequently. Used to be a mile with v8, or with v7, none. I guess locals is now quarter mile. Cripples the point.

My theory is that the increased nags on local roads is in anticipation of the soon release of some "automatic city driving" features, like traffic light response. It would make sense since the new "automatic city driving" features are still be "beta", ie not 100% reliable yet. Tesla increases nags to make sure the driver is paying attention when Tesla still needs to test a new feature. it is also possible that V10 made so many changes to the NN, that Tesla increased nags purely as a precaution just in case there were some reliability issues. In any case, the nags will be reduced again, when Tesla is confident, that the features are reliable enough. It would also explain why nags with NOA are still the same since Tesla is pretty confident now in NOA's reliability.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Are you serious?!?! You want to give up all of the new features in V10 just because of nags???? You do realize that Tesla will probably reduce the nags again.
Yes. Totally serious. Don't care about any new "features" in V10 except for "Joe mode" which I'm going to miss.

In my tests V10 is not any better at freeway driving than V9 and is actively worse at undivided highways. It biases towards the oncoming traffic and the constant nags make it worthless. I drive a lot on very straight country roads and now it's easier to drive without the autopilot (with only TACC).

The increased nags are just temporary.
They re-introduced +5mph autopilot limit on my Model S V1 hardware a couple of months ago. Tesla does not care at all if people are inconvenienced.

If you believe that FSD is going to be out by the end of this year or even the next one, I have a bridge to sell you. It's a very nice bridge, mind you.

Reactions: croman
I've definitely noticed more frequent "hold the wheel" nags in V10 when I am driving on local roads (non highways).

But I found this video where the driver actually times it.

Local Road (50 mph)
1st nag to 2nd nag: 12 seconds
2nd nag to 3rd nag: 11.25 seconds

Highway (80 mph)
1st nag to 2nd nag: 22 seconds
2nd nag to 3rd nag: 21 seconds

We see much shorter nags on local roads, half what they are on the highway.
I go 3 minutes between nags on the highway on V8 (then I get nervous and grab the wheel). Man, am I going to miss that!
Again, if anyone knows how to change the MCU without getting the latest firmware version, please let me know!