Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag reduced with 2017.46

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've kinda learned how to handle nags, and can feel the tugs described above. But I'm still trying to find the right way to do one-pedal-driving. I cant seem to activate regen fully. I feel that coming up to a stoplight with cars already stopped, that my car approaches too fast and I have to press the brake to slow down. If I had a paddle, I'd be hitting it instead of the brake. I can take the car out of cruise and get some regen.
Any advice as to how to be a better Regen Driver?
I think I understand what you are asking for. You have TACC engaged and approaching stopped cars -- how to slow down without braking and without disengaging cruise? Interesting question.

How about reducing the cruise speed setting further back from the stopped cars? If you reduce it slightly and slowly, the regen would slow the car without braking. I've never tried it, but maybe that would work.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
FW .44. Just drove about 130 miles from Torrance 91 freeway until Indio Supercharger. On autopilot 99.99%. There was part of truck tire in my lane which I hand to take control and still hit the edge if it. My hand was on the wheel so as soon as it appeared was able to react. I was only nagged about 1 or 2 times using the method discussed. Not a bit deal to keep one hand on bottom of wheel. However, would be nice to have an option to be hands free without the nag. I was also able to use auto lane change between freeway changes and also going in and out of fast trac lanes.

I've kinda learned how to handle nags, and can feel the tugs described above. But I'm still trying to find the right way to do one-pedal-driving. I cant seem to activate regen fully. I feel that coming up to a stoplight with cars already stopped, that my car approaches too fast and I have to press the brake to slow down. If I had a paddle, I'd be hitting it instead of the brake. I can take the car out of cruise and get some regen.
Any advice as to how to be a better Regen Driver?
2. the key to regen braking-is to gradually ease off the pedal at an earlier point than you are probably doing now (also depending on how fast you were going) I rarely need use brakes during any highway driving even though I tend to drive fairly quickly by gauging the distances of vehicles I'm coming up to and keeping abreast of passing opportunities. For stoplights, you are probably going to fast before easing off the accelerator...just start earlier to allow regen to slow the vehicle to a more reasonable speed...you should get to the point where only a minimal amount of braking is needed at the very end.
2. with Cruise, do you have the "following distance" set to a more reasonable number like 4-5? Regen works automatically with TACC when approaching car in front...it does slow more dramatically than under manual driving since braking is engaged also...but works pretty well.

2. the key to regen braking-is to gradually ease off the pedal at an earlier point than you are probably doing now (also depending on how fast you were going) I rarely need use brakes during any highway driving even though I tend to drive fairly quickly by gauging the distances of vehicles I'm coming up to and keeping abreast of passing opportunities. For stoplights, you are probably going to fast before easing off the accelerator...just start earlier to allow regen to slow the vehicle to a more reasonable speed...you should get to the point where only a minimal amount of braking is needed at the very end.
2. with Cruise, do you have the "following distance" set to a more reasonable number like 4-5? Regen works automatically with TACC when approaching car in front...it does slow more dramatically than under manual driving since braking is engaged also...but works pretty well.
Very good advice. In a parralell thread, someone called this "Feathering". Now I have increased insight into what that means.

I thought I was a good driver, but I keep finding new tricks and tips from folks on this forum that will let me get better. Not better in terms of steering or accelerating, but in being a better pilot.

Very good advice. In a parralell thread, someone called this "Feathering". Now I have increased insight into what that means.

I thought I was a good driver, but I keep finding new tricks and tips from folks on this forum that will let me get better. Not better in terms of steering or accelerating, but in being a better pilot.

This is absolutely correct. May I add that when you're driving, get used to always having a little bit of pressure on the pedal. To slow down, relieve some of that pressure in a smooth manner, and to speed up simply apply more pressure. It takes a lot of getting used to, I came from driving a clutch so I was familiar with feathering and pedal control, but practice makes perfect! It can help if you display the usage meter on your dash as it illustrates with the orange and green lines how much power/regen you're using. When you want to come up to a stop light, start slowly letting off the gas earlier, and modulate the throttle to slow at a reasonable speed, as Chembo stated above. If you find yourself stopping too short press the accelerator to slow the regen, and if you're stopping too slowly let off more on the pedal. You'll get it!

• Love
Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
I have heard this from numerous Tesla drivers and employees. I'll get some first hand experience with this on the 1,000 mile drive home after taking delivery.

Definitely agree with this. I come from general aviation where autopilot is use is common. Without it, you have to coordinate your body to control the aircraft in addition to think about the next step in your flight. It's a huge physical and mental demand, and the combination can wipe you out. Reducing it to only planning makes flying exponentially simpler and strain-free.

I took a bunch of hour-long trips in a weekend Tesla rental and had the same experience. I normally dread any kind of driving due to living in the vicinity to Los Angeles. (It's nothing but traffic hell.) With autopilot, I can foresee myself going out more and taking more road trips.

My ears...they bleed

images.jpg

FW .44. Just drove about 130 miles from Torrance 91 freeway until Indio Supercharger. On autopilot 99.99%. There was part of truck tire in my lane which I hand to take control and still hit the edge if it. My hand was on the wheel so as soon as it appeared was able to react. I was only nagged about 1 or 2 times using the method discussed. Not a bit deal to keep one hand on bottom of wheel. However, would be nice to have an option to be hands free without the nag. I was also able to use auto lane change between freeway changes and also going in and out of fast trac lanes.
Did the same on the trip home. Worked very well. More Thanksgiving traffic on the way home so was able to benefit even more from autopilot. Since I have never driven AP1 I am not sure how it would have done better. While trying to time things for freeway changes it would be nice if the autopilot would reduce speed on it's own somehow. I.E. A freeway transition (assuming I am in the correct lane) will generally have a posted speed of say 55mph where the normal freeway speed is 65 or 70. I just reduce TACC while approaching the exchange like I would normally do if I was driving myself. My guess is AP1 does not do that either?

I watched this video - Tesla driving at night. So What? did it do something that was special? Other than the music (not my taste) what was I supposed to see here?
Yes my friend it did! Check out the end of the video.
The old video referenced a section where I wanted to turn right. Now watch this video since you clearly like rap music..... you will see towards the end what happens when I want to go straight. What's different about these videos, and why does it perform both options differently but correctly on this firmware?

put mute on if you don't like the quirky rap tracks.... I think they are weird and that's my thing.... also, all my videos are tests of something.... I'll try to spell that out better next time. If you have a scenario and song you are interested in, let me know, I'll get the song and try to do a video doing your request.

Not a bit deal to keep one hand on bottom of wheel. However, would be nice to have an option to be hands free without the nag.

In my experience keeping your hand on the wheel is VERY important.
I have had two experiences where the AP2 made a sudden incorrect change of direction. The first time there was some spilled paint on the road that veered off the road onto the shoulder which the car apparently identified as the lane marker and the other time it suddenly turned out of my lane toward a truck for no apparent reason.
Since my hand was on the wheel when I felt the sudden unexpected pull of the steering wheel I resisted it, the car beeped to let me know I was in control, there was no direction change, and then I could re-engage the AP without incident.

If I had not been holding the wheel, before I could react and grab the steering wheel, the car would have steered off the road into a ditch in the first instance, or into a truck in the second instance.

I love the AP2, I have used it for many hours and I arrive much less tired at the end of the trip. My belief is that because I don't have to make the
continuous (nearly subconscious) steering corrections to stay in the lane I am much more aware of what is happening around me and my neck and shoulders are much more relaxed.

Keep your hand on the wheel! I rest my hand at the 5 o'clock position and the weight of my hand tells the car I am holding on so I don't get nags. Because of the above
experiences, when I am in a tight situation with no room for error I hold the steering wheel with both hands.

Reactions: BinaryField
In my experience keeping your hand on the wheel is VERY important.
I have had two experiences where the AP2 made a sudden incorrect change of direction. The first time there was some spilled paint on the road that veered off the road onto the shoulder which the car apparently identified as the lane marker and the other time it suddenly turned out of my lane toward a truck for no apparent reason.
Since my hand was on the wheel when I felt the sudden unexpected pull of the steering wheel I resisted it, the car beeped to let me know I was in control, there was no direction change, and then I could re-engage the AP without incident.

If I had not been holding the wheel, before I could react and grab the steering wheel, the car would have steered off the road into a ditch in the first instance, or into a truck in the second instance.

I love the AP2, I have used it for many hours and I arrive much less tired at the end of the trip. My belief is that because I don't have to make the
continuous (nearly subconscious) steering corrections to stay in the lane I am much more aware of what is happening around me and my neck and shoulders are much more relaxed.

Keep your hand on the wheel! I rest my hand at the 5 o'clock position and the weight of my hand tells the car I am holding on so I don't get nags. Because of the above
experiences, when I am in a tight situation with no room for error I hold the steering wheel with both hands.

Seems like I will be sticking with AP1 for quite a while...

Seems like I will be sticking with AP1 for quite a while...
Have you really never had a close call with AP1?

I’ve had AP1 follow the wrong fork in a construction zone directly toward a ROAD CLOSED sign blocking the whole lane. I’ve had lanes shift in construction zones and at the very last second it decides to ignore the lane lines and drive directly towards another car.

Needing to keep a close eye on the system and a hand on the wheel to take action at a split second applies to both versions of Autopilot. Believing this doesn’t apply to your AP is asking for trouble