Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Y since Thanksgiving. Still trying to learn the ropes.

I’ve tried a few techniques to deal with the nag, especially in city traffic situations. Ranging from waiting for the nag to appear and applying slight turning pressure (too sporadic timing causing extra stress). Bumping the right scroll wheel to relieve the nag (causes the set speed to alter with each bump). And the latest and preferred so far, just keeping constant slight pressure on the wheel.

Are there other techniques in use I should consider?

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
When you are jamming out to tunes occasionally apply pressure to the wheel. My commute is approximately 1hr and I can get through it with near zero nags

But after a while, its not happy with the same amount of pressure so I have to give it a little yank. Half the time it does the trick, otherwise it disengages autopilot. To keep it more predictable, I just disengage it with the stalk and then immediately re-engage. Annoying.

But after a while, its not happy with the same amount of pressure so I have to give it a little yank. Half the time it does the trick, otherwise it disengages autopilot. To keep it more predictable, I just disengage it with the stalk and then immediately re-engage. Annoying.
Don't have to disengage, just press down the stalk. Any steering wheel button, roller or stalk usage resets the nag timer.

I’ve had my Y since Thanksgiving. Still trying to learn the ropes.

I’ve tried a few techniques to deal with the nag, especially in city traffic situations. Ranging from waiting for the nag to appear and applying slight turning pressure (too sporadic timing causing extra stress). Bumping the right scroll wheel to relieve the nag (causes the set speed to alter with each bump). And the latest and preferred so far, just keeping constant slight pressure on the wheel.

Are there other techniques in use I should consider?

increase and reduce the volume ...that’s what I do

I rest my left arm in my lap while “hanging” my left hand on the bottom of the steering wheel to create slight pressure. I’ve done that for about a year now and have never gotten nagged. I don’t really have to pay attention to it, either, ends up being a mostly natural position for me (even for extended drives) and autopilot is fine with it.

When your rocking out to tunes ya gotta play the air guitar or drums. So your pressure is changing because your hand is off and on. Or just simply apply pressure in one direction and switch the direction periodically.

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
I was using NoA a lot this weekend and perhaps not since a few updates, but for some reason, the scroll-wheel trick (up the volume or set speed to respond to nag) works for maybe 10 minutes or so, then doesn't. I have to perform the wheel shake or disengage AP. Then it will work again for maybe 10 minutes and then stop. Anyone else experience this?

I rest my left arm in my lap while “hanging” my left hand on the bottom of the steering wheel to create slight pressure. I’ve done that for about a year now and have never gotten nagged. I don’t really have to pay attention to it, either, ends up being a mostly natural position for me (even for extended drives) and autopilot is fine with it.
This is the way.

Has never failed for me using this method.

Reactions: mthurman
Since the original post I have adapted to keeping a slight amount of pressure on the wheel at all times to avoid the “nag”. After doing so for the last month or so it has become second nature. I now do not experience the “nag” at all.

I have become so use to doing this that I do it when I’m not using FSD. That hasn’t caused any issues either.

The nag is beyond annoying. I always have my hands on the wheel but at the bottom resting on my legs with fingers wrapped lightly around the steering wheel. Screw them....get a 1lb weight band from walmart and wrap it at 10 or 2 o'clock and your problem is solved! I see ZERO issue with this as I do have my hands on the wheel and in full control. I miss my OpenPilot on my 2013 model S. There it just watches your face/eyes to be sure you're paying attention! I have arthritis in my hands and it litterally stings trying to satisfy this BS.