Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other carmakers with autopilot type controls have determined that as long as you have your eyes on the road/facing forward, you dont require any form of nag or need to touch..anything, in order to operate safely. I fully agree 100% with always staying alert/vigilant/looking ahead. (besides, its the only way to avoid potholes anyways...so not only am I doing it for safety, Im doing it to save my rims).

besides, its the only way to avoid potholes
Yes, the AI wants to drive in the center of the lane so it seems to hit all of the potholes.
I usually take it off of AP in those stretches to smooth out the ride and hopefully save some wear and tear on the tires.
I wish there was an user adjustment, much like how far to stay behind the car in front of you, where you could tell it to drive a bit off center.
Maybe +1, 2 or 3 feet to the right of center.

Right elbow resting on center console and right hand at 5 o'clock up against bottom spoke of steering wheel. Hand must be positioned "overhand" so you're looking at the back of your hand. Feels very natural and comfortable and needs no attention at all. Never get the nag.

The nag is beyond annoying. I always have my hands on the wheel but at the bottom resting on my legs with fingers wrapped lightly around the steering wheel. Screw them....get a 1lb weight band from walmart and wrap it at 10 or 2 o'clock and your problem is solved! I see ZERO issue with this as I do have my hands on the wheel and in full control. I miss my OpenPilot on my 2013 model S. There it just watches your face/eyes to be sure you're paying attention! I have arthritis in my hands and it litterally stings trying to satisfy this BS.
That is something I’ve been wondering, couldn’t the cabin camera be used for that? I’ve tried a bunch of “hands resting” method and none seem to work, or feel natural to me.

Reactions: chammerbeck
I was using NoA a lot this weekend and perhaps not since a few updates, but for some reason, the scroll-wheel trick (up the volume or set speed to respond to nag) works for maybe 10 minutes or so, then doesn't. I have to perform the wheel shake or disengage AP. Then it will work again for maybe 10 minutes and then stop. Anyone else experience this?
YES! There now seems to be two kinds of nags. The normal one that gets reset with a slight pressure on the wheel or move the volume control; but recently on a 4+ hours trip I have experienced a different kind of nag that does not reset with the volume control nor the speed control. It requires a very strong back-and forth on the wheel for it to go away. It's not often but it does happen. Hope it's just a bug.

YES! There now seems to be two kinds of nags. The normal one that gets reset with a slight pressure on the wheel or move the volume control; but recently on a 4+ hours trip I have experienced a different kind of nag that does not reset with the volume control nor the speed control. It requires a very strong back-and forth on the wheel for it to go away. It's not often but it does happen. Hope it's just a bug.
Same here. I've found that the nag after ~10 minutes needs you have to shake the wheel harder than usual and it's a better than even chance the car interprets the wheel movement as it's cue to drop out of SD. Very annoying.

Same here. I've found that the nag after ~10 minutes needs you have to shake the wheel harder than usual and it's a better than even chance the car interprets the wheel movement as it's cue to drop out of SD. Very annoying.
You can just use the scroll wheel if the nag won't work. Just go up one mph then down one. Resets the nag. I just rest my hand on the wheel at all times. Nag is far less of an issue then.

No. For this particular type of nag, neither scroll wheel will work. That is why is so annoying.
Exactly. I usually alternate between volume up or down or mph +1 or -1, but after maybe 10 uses of either (maybe 20 minutes?), neither are accepted. I was hopeful they'd start using the cabin camera to keep an eye on the driver and the nags would lessen, but so far, it's getting worse. I'm not sure about NoA lane changes. I may have to add that to my repertoire of tricks if it works. I've never mastered the wheel shake gracefully.

There are other options out there, depending on your personal ability and commitment to FULLY paying attention/keeping your eyes fully on the road as if you were in a regular car, driving with zero autopilot.

IF you are able to do all of the above? Those alternative options to nag means you are no less safe (in fact, MORE safe if you consider the automated safety built in, combined with your own safety and control) than if you were in a non AP car.

I'm owner of a 2021 LR AWD MY with FSD. Just finished 2200 mile road trip and finally found an easy nag defeat which doesn't require equipment or gadgets. This has probably been shared before on TMC, but I hadn't seen it so wanted to share if it might be helpful to others. If I brace my thigh (right above the right knee) against the 5 o'clock position of the steering wheel, it provides enough pressure to convince autosteer that your hands are on the wheel. See attached pic. Apply constant light pressure because you're not steering with your knee, just tricking it. The wheel should actually turn when in autosteer. Left hand on left leg and knee, right elbow on console and hand on right leg. If nag occurs, just push a little against steering wheel with knee and can add more pressure if needed with hand against the knee. These hand positions were very comfortable yet ready to resume hand manual control of needed. I used this technique on 90 mile leg (over an hour of driving) between Tucson and Phoenix with only a few nags and zero FSD/autosteer disconnects. If you get the steering wheel height and your knee aligned, very little pressure needed and no discomfort or fatigue. If leg does get tight, go back to hands and shake out and flex right leg until ready to resume. Hope it works for you too.

Attachments

• 20210604_211954.jpg
    20210604_211954.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: HeyEph
I just did a 6400 mile road trip and posting on that now,so look for it on the top of this forum, no issues with the Nag, wasn’t annoying at all and guess what, it kept me alert and busy. I was not put in Auto Pilot Jail not once in that trip.

Fred

I just did a 6400 mile road trip and posting on that now,so look for it on the top of this forum, no issues with the Nag, wasn’t annoying at all and guess what, it kept me alert and busy. I was not put in Auto Pilot Jail not once in that trip.

Fred

The nag tricks usually works fine with my hands during my last Vegas to LA trip. Auto Pilot Jail has only resulted from getting ticked off at trucks blocking both lanes and me speeding up while in AP and going too fast passing when they let me thru.