Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nags are more frequent in V 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I trust they will develop a safe way to sense driver engagement.

Let's hope so. Hopefully Cadillac doesn't have a patent on using the interior camera to make sure you're looking at the road. That seems like the most effective and least irritating solution. Having to torque the steering wheel is so obviously an afterthought. If they implement a better solution, we'll look back on having to turn the steering wheel as ridiculous.

Reactions: SammichLover
Let's hope so. Hopefully Cadillac doesn't have a patent on using the interior camera to make sure you're looking at the road. That seems like the most effective and least irritating solution. Having to torque the steering wheel is so obviously an afterthought. If they implement a better solution, we'll look back on having to turn the steering wheel as ridiculous.

The Caddy internal camera is a lot more complex/advanced/capable for that job than the Tesla one

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

I could see GM having patents on certain aspects of their implementation, but they're not the only ones in the industry with it.

BMW, and Audi currently have products with driver engagement monitoring using a camera (for eye-tracking).

in fact as I understand it Elon specifically chose not to use something like that, and opted instead for the steering wheel torque sensor. A decision that has come back to bite them and their customers.

Here is a perfect example of it's failure.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/tesla-autopilot-v10-commute-without-driver-intervention/

I predicted that they'd do something to defeat steering wheel weights with V10, but apparently they haven't.

Yeah, Tesla can't do eye tracking with the internal camera. And, they certainly can't see through sun glasses.
You need to use an IR band camera to see through sunglasses.

I hadn’t heard about the Tesla interior camera covering anything other than visible light range. Although I also haven’t seen anyone grab an image off it, either?

I believe Cadillac is using active lighting in IR, too, although maybe you can finesse a solid system without that.

Last edited:
That'd be a really tough nut to crack, not really sure what kind of approach could be used to detect weights that didn’t also throw a lot of false positives for those using legit hands-on driving?
They could train a neural net! Really it should be quite easy to detect. The weight is constant and probably also reacts differently to steering wheel angle, acceleration, braking and bumps in the road (I bet the car has an accelerometer) than an arm.

Yeah, Tesla can't do eye tracking with the internal camera. And, they certainly can't see through sun glasses.

They could track head direction and head pose. However, not a solution for current S/X owners.

thumbnail

I always keep hands on the wheel, yet I constantly get nags on stretches of freeway with no turns. If it goes to 10 seconds, then I guess I'll be stuck on V9 forever.

Maybe before the nags trigger, they could make subtle adjustments to the steering wheel position (up/down) which would cause increasing/opposing pressure and torque from the weight of the drivers hands... and it leverages current hardware capabilities.

I think it would also be a more passive and haptic way of warning the driver (for those who actually hold the wheel) vs. being distracted by looking at screen based warnings.

The Caddy internal camera is a lot more complex/advanced/capable for that job than the Tesla one
While that is not an un-true statement, I've read several articles about issues in getting super-cruise to engage or stay engaged. Some stating that they are forced to stare almost perfectly straight ahead to keep it working. This brings about it's own set of problems.

Eye tracking is fairly easy though so I'm sure it's something that can be fixed in software. I do wish sometimes that Tesla had gone that route, but I'm told that the fish-eye lens in the car (put there for robot taxi use) does not lend it self well to driver monitoring.

While that is not an un-true statement, I've read several articles about issues in getting super-cruise to engage or stay engaged. Some stating that they are forced to stare almost perfectly straight ahead to keep it working. This brings about it's own set of problems.

Eye tracking is fairly easy though so I'm sure it's something that can be fixed in software. I do wish sometimes that Tesla had gone that route, but I'm told that the fish-eye lens in the car (put there for robot taxi use) does not lend it self well to driver monitoring.
It strikes me as potentially a much better approach for the task, I think it has lots of promise. Yet at this point there isn’t anywhere near enough in use to assess if, and in what way, it performs better.

I could see GM having patents on certain aspects of their implementation, but they're not the only ones in the industry with it.

BMW, and Audi currently have products with driver engagement monitoring using a camera (for eye-tracking).

in fact as I understand it Elon specifically chose not to use something like that, and opted instead for the steering wheel torque sensor. A decision that has come back to bite them and their customers.

Not just Tesla. I just drove a rental Kia Forte (which Hertz had the nerve to call a 5-star upgrade) with "active lane keeping assist"

It's a really crap version of autosteer, that appears to fail on most roads, but even when it works it checks you're... guess what? holding the steering wheel. With a torque sensor.

It seemed to work ok when there were very clear white lines on both sides of the lane for some distance, and...pretty much like garbage any other time.

Even worse, the car only had dumb cruise. But clearly HAD radar since it had forward collision alerts.