Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nags are more frequent in V 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!!! I'm a 42 year old software engineer UCLA math major with an engineering graduates degree at USC and have had the car for 3 months now on a 80 mile daily commute, and check the forums daily. Think Ive got a fair set of motor skills and a brain function to know that we have more than enough nags even in the best wheel holding position.

That's a yikes from me dawg

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I'm I the only one who satisfy nags with a flick of the right thumbwheel (TACC speed increase)?
Sure it will increase speed if your not already 5mph over, but for me not an issue. I use the thumbwheel probably half the time. I do drape my hand on the lower part of the wheel (5 o'clock), which will allow a little off center force, but I still get the nag from time to time.

It seems that you need to make adjustments (or to present some resistance to computer-initiated steering input) and if you're on a stretch of a freeway it's not uncommon to have very little steering required.

Yep, just apply about 1 to 1.5 lbs of force to the wheel and your good. Took me a while to find a comfortable way to do that, but now its in muscle memory and I don't even think about it. I'm slacking if I get one or two nags a week now where they used to be all the time.

Also keep in mind that this was added very early on as part of a regulatory request. The result of people not following the rules. It will go away once there is no longer a need for driver input.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Who the heck is complaining that we need more nags??

Non-owners are.

Basically all these "sleeping at the wheel" videos are putting pressure on Tesla to increase the nags.

I think Tesla is suspecting that people are using steering wheel weights to trick the torque sensor. So its plausible they're trying to combat against this by having nags if the torque on the steering wheel is static. So someone holding the steering wheel with a constant pressure in one direction (like holding just one corner of it like I do) is likely going to get nagged more.

Yep, just apply about 1 to 1.5 lbs of force to the wheel and your good. Took me a while to find a comfortable way to do that, but now its in muscle memory and I don't even think about it. I'm slacking if I get one or two nags a week now where they used to be all the time.
If the reports are correct that you actually need to wiggle the steering wheel in V10 then you're in for a bad surprise.

I have never seen any proof of that. As far as I know, it's all supposition. Can you cite the regulatory request? Asking seriously for my own information.

I honestly don't have time to look this up for you, but Tesla began working on version 1 of Auto Pilot in 2014 in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other regulators. In 2015 it was released to model S owners as a beta. The nag requirement was as a result of testers that got the update prior to the general release in 2015. Can't go in to how I know that. ;)

I honestly don't have time to look this up for you, but Tesla began working on version 1 of Auto Pilot in 2014 in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other regulators. In 2015 it was released to model S owners as a beta. The nag requirement was as a result of testers that got the update prior to the general release in 2015. Can't go in to how I know that. ;)
But the general release in 2015 had NO nags at all. So you're saying that they did testing prior to general release, released without the nag, then used the old pre-release data as justification for adding nags later, and then regulations came along at some point in that whole process that either aren't published or easily located? Hmmm, OK.
I can easily believe that NHTSA wanted "something" to make it safer, but I've never seen an actual requirement. I've read the claim that such requirements exist dozens of times here, but in thousands of messages here I've never actually seen one requirement cited. I thought I would pop in and ask. I'm not trying to nail you specifically down for an answer.

But the general release in 2015 had NO nags at all. So you're saying that they did testing prior to general release, released without the nag, then used the old pre-release data as justification for adding nags later, and then regulations came along at some point in that whole process that either aren't published or easily located? Hmmm, OK.
I can easily believe that NHTSA wanted "something" to make it safer, but I've never seen an actual requirement. I've read the claim that such requirements exist dozens of times here, but in thousands of messages here I've never actually seen one requirement cited. I thought I would pop in and ask. I'm not trying to nail you specifically down for an answer.

You are incorrect, the full version in 2015 did have nags (the first iteration of them)
Only the 2014 early adopters did not have them. I think this is probably why it is not as widely publicized however I do recall hearing it mentioned on the local news. The reason the nag was added was because NHTSA got wind that testers were putting too much trust in the early system. People are used to things being 100% tested out of the box. It's a toaster, I put the bread in, it makes toast. This was still called beta when it was publicly released. This is something that the testers kept overlooking. There is a news article by CBS News in 2015 which announces the release to public of AP and in that article they discuss the nag as being in place. You can see that here: Tesla rolls out autopilot technology

I think it's important to define what a nag is, and what a nag isn't.

Back in Oct of 2015 when it was initially released hardly anyone viewed the warning to hold the steering wheel as a nag. Instead it was thought of as a confidence thing. Like "Hey, hold the steering wheel since I'm not feeling confident at this time". It was too lenient for most people to really think of as a nag, and no one could determine the exact amount of time between them.

Then the first fatality happened, and Tesla introduced speed based nags I believe in V8 (but, I might be mistaken about that). Tesla did that based on the recommendations from the NHTSA, and pressure from the media who viewed AP as too lenient.

Some owners vowed to never upgrade because they didn't want the nags.

Since then it's been a constant battle where Tesla will increase the number of nags, and then owners will complain and they'll dial it back.

Reactions: ibGeek and kavyboy
You are incorrect, the full version in 2015 did have nags (the first iteration of them)
Only the 2014 early adopters did not have them. I think this is probably why it is not as widely publicized however I do recall hearing it mentioned on the local news. The reason the nag was added was because NHTSA got wind that testers were putting too much trust in the early system. People are used to things being 100% tested out of the box. It's a toaster, I put the bread in, it makes toast. This was still called beta when it was publicly released. This is something that the testers kept overlooking. There is a news article by CBS News in 2015 which announces the release to public of AP and in that article they discuss the nag as being in place. You can see that here: Tesla rolls out autopilot technology
You are correct. I was wrong - remember things differently and incorrectly. At some point, the nags became more insistent and/or timed nags were introduced. I read here that people generally would drive long, long distances without touching the wheel under 7.0 - basically unlimited. Not sure how that was the case. :confused: But yeah, it seems like nags always existed according to old articles.

I think it's important to define what a nag is, and what a nag isn't.

Back in Oct of 2015 when it was initially released hardly anyone viewed the warning to hold the steering wheel. Instead it was thought of as a confidence thing. Like "Hey, hold the steering wheel since I'm not feeling confident at this time".

Then the first fatality happened, and Tesla introduced speed based nags I believe in V8 (but, I might be mistaken about that). Tesla did that based on the recommendations from the NHTSA, and pressure from the media who viewed AP as too lenient.

Some owners vowed to never upgrade because they didn't want the nags.

Since then it's been a constant battle where Tesla will increase the number of nags, and then owners will complain and they'll dial it back.
Thanks. That's more in line with what I remember. On long, straight highways you could cruise along without touching the wheel indefinitely, I think.

We'll see when we get a real V10. Dropping out of AS by jiggling the wheel has been a problem with some versions, not knowing you're out of AS is a real danger, I've almost kissed the ditch that way a few times. Chimes are easily overlooked. Jiggling the steering wheel every now and then is not a normal way to drive. I trust they will develop a safe way to sense driver engagement.

I'm I the only one who satisfy nags with a flick of the right thumbwheel (TACC speed increase)?
Sure it will increase speed if your not already 5mph over, but for me not an issue. I use the thumbwheel probably half the time. I do drape my hand on the lower part of the wheel (5 o'clock), which will allow a little off center force, but I still get the nag from time to time.
Left scroll wheel (volume) for me. Same about half the time as well when I don’t have my hand at 5 or 7.

Reactions: SammichLover
No you’re not. I use the scroll wheels as well