Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a wall outlet in the beach closet has worked for me to re charge over a couple days when at the beach. Ideally the 20 amp with the sideways plug is the cheapest way to go and will still work for nearly all people who realize that they are there all week and do not need to recharge in a few hours — over night for two nights is plenty. Def do not need a HPWC. A 14-50 or J1772 would be fine.

That’s the beauty of EV: I can refuel almost anywhere I park over night.

Yeah, I was thinking a J1772 would work, but a 14-50 would be cheaper, work as well, and offer more flexibility.

Reactions: OBX John
Concur that a 14-50 is likely the cheapest option. I chose the J-1772 option at my beach rental home because I believed it would serve all EVs of which I am aware. While I was trying to encourage EV owners to consider our home based upon having a charger available, I've also mentioned upthread that we've received little to no interest. Probably why many rental home owners won't consider the cost -- regardless of how minimal it might be.

My choice of the Clipper Creek HCS-60 was also somewhat selfish ---- when I go to the house and stay there, I want a better charging option. So this choice helped me and I hope will help others in the future.

My installation was a little more expensive because I decided to upgrade the electric service to the house. Everything down there is electric. I'm running two heat pumps, two water heaters, two floors worth of lighting, two refrigerators, electric cooktop. Santee Cooper Electric upgraded the electric service to the home for a reasonable cost; I don't have the papers with me at the moment but I believe it was about $300. I was going to do the electrical work at the home myself but ran into lots of resistance from the county. A friend recommended an electrician, and so I hired him to do the work. He charged me somewhere around $1000 to install a new panel, new meter box, run conduit where necessary, re-route the electric service to the two heat pump compressors (to balance the load between the two panels), and connect power to the Clipper Creek unit. I built an enclosed, lockable wooden cabinet that houses the Clipper Creek in order to minimize environmental weathering/aging.

Reactions: OBX John
One thing is that I"m not sure Leafs and Bolts can easily use a 14-50. I think they need special adopters -- more complicated than us even getting one of the many plugs from Tesla for a UMC.

Charging from a 240 VAC 14-50 outlet - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum

pretty much anyone can use a j1772 -- but an extra cost.

Good point. I gave them both options. Hopefully anyone trying to travel in a Bolt or Leaf has the adapters. I think a Tesla owner is by far the most likely user, but you never know.

What's the best way for vacation rental owners who do provide charging to advertise it? Register with Plugshare? Start a facebook page?

We need to lobby VRBO and AirBnB and other sites to filter listings by EV charging. I'd love to hear any other ideas.
I chk plugshare and Tesla destinations and try to patronize those places. But also carry around a 5-20 adapter (and many others) for the umc and extension cord and usually get many miles overnight just about anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
All,

Keep in mind here most restaurants, hotels, breweries, etc in the area would qualify for free chargers through the destination charging program. If you visit any locations down there be sure to spread the word. There is no advertising for the program so we have to spread the word! Safe travels!
Whom do we contact to consider a shopping center location on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News?

Anyone have an update on the Point Harbor Supercharger (or wherever it really ends up!)? Anyone have access to permit databases in the area?

Wonder if this might have to be a paper search? I’m completely ignorant of NC county permit structure... :D

Still says 2018 but we know how a lot of the 2017 ones went!
Point Harbor is a part of Currituck County. But I haven't been able to find the permitting site, or an area online that would allow for me to search for permits yet.

Point Harbor is a part of Currituck County. But I haven't been able to find the permitting site, or an area online that would allow for me to search for permits yet.
You mean this? :D (Love it when the webdevs don't tag things correctly... that's the Currituck Permitting site...)

Upgrade Browser

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, or even see if it has any search engine that works. (On first glance you need a street and a house/lot number, which means a lot of hunting...)

Tesla Find Us for 'Point Harbor' still says 2018.....

Last edited:
Reactions: diamond.g
You mean this? :D (Love it when the webdevs don't tag things correctly... that's the Currituck Permitting site...)

Upgrade Browser

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, or even see if it has any search engine that works.

Tesla Find Us for 'Point Harbor' still says 2018.....
I saw that earlier, will have to create a login and poke around. I guess it is good that I live in the county so my account would be legitimate.

Reactions: CatB
I saw that earlier, will have to create a login and poke around. I guess it is good that I live in the county so my account would be legitimate.
Doesn't even look like they ask where you live... the searching will be the fun part, best of luck, perhaps you can figure from the location what streets are the best candidates and how the numbers run!