Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
My family and I heading to the beach this weekend for weekl. I know I can get a good charge at Norfolk, but that doesn't give me a lot of room in my 75d to drive around and do things. I can plug in at the house at 3mph?? Plugshare doesn't show much, any ideas from folks that have done this before, we'd rather not bring the ICE, but sometimes I guess we just have too.

My family and I heading to the beach this weekend for weekl. I know I can get a good charge at Norfolk, but that doesn't give me a lot of room in my 75d to drive around and do things. I can plug in at the house at 3mph?? Plugshare doesn't show much, any ideas from folks that have done this before, we'd rather not bring the ICE, but sometimes I guess we just have too.
There are level 2 chargers at the outlets in Nags Head listed on plugshare. Also don't discount a 3 mph charge. You can get 75 miles per day if the car is sitting. If you are staying at a house, have you asked about the plug for the dryer or stove. Tesla has adapters for almost every plug.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
There is a level two charger at the Outlet mall, and I'd be happy to let you use the Tesla charger at our Colington house if you need it. I'm actually going to be putting that house on the weekly or nightly rental market soon (my avatar is a picture of the solar cells there). It's a four bedroom soundfront.

There is a level two charger at the Outlet mall, and I'd be happy to let you use the Tesla charger at our Colington house if you need it. I'm actually going to be putting that house on the weekly or nightly rental market soon (my avatar is a picture of the solar cells there). It's a four bedroom soundfront.

Thank you! I appreciate it, sounds like between the house 3mph and the tanger outlets I should be covered, but if something changes I'll certainly reach out, I appreciate it!

I'm making the same trip soon and hoping the house has at least a 110v on the outside of the house. I'm fine with 3 mph charge as we don't expect to be doing a ton of driving. I should arrive with around 50 miles left on the battery, so taking 60ish hours to charge is just fine with me. I'm hoping NOT to be spending any time at the outlets, whether to charge or shop! :)

I'm making the same trip soon and hoping the house has at least a 110v on the outside of the house. I'm fine with 3 mph charge as we don't expect to be doing a ton of driving. I should arrive with around 50 miles left on the battery, so taking 60ish hours to charge is just fine with me. I'm hoping NOT to be spending any time at the outlets, whether to charge or shop! :)

I'll be going down to Nags head end of July with my X (now 60D, will upgrade to 75), and my buddy who just picked up his X 100D will be coming too. We're planning on using the outlet mall too and hopefully a dryer outlet. John, mind if we contact you as well if we have a charging emergency?

I have done this at the OBX every year for 4 years in a row, it is pretty easy to keep the car close to fully charged just by having it plugged into a regular wall outlet unless you are doing a lot of long day trips. Probably a good idea to bring a heavy duty extension cord in case the parking is not close to a good outlet. Also consider getting the NEMA 5-20 adapter from Tesla. This lets you draw 16amps off the proper outlet -v- 12 amps with the normal 5-15 adapter. I also have one of these:

Amazon.com : Conntek 30129 15A to 15/20A Plug Adapter : Generator Cord Sets And Plugs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

which allows you to use the higher rated Tesla 5-20 adapter on a regular 5-15 outlet. Word of caution here, only use this if you know the circuit is rated at 20 amps, otherwise you risk overloading the circuit and causing a fire.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
I'll be going down to Nags head end of July with my X (now 60D, will upgrade to 75), and my buddy who just picked up his X 100D will be coming too. We're planning on using the outlet mall too and hopefully a dryer outlet. John, mind if we contact you as well if we have a charging emergency?

Yes, I'd be happy to help. The Colington house is empty now while I get it in shape for weekly rentals, so I'd be happy to let anyone charge there. It's a pretty good spot to kayak from if you want something to do while you wait. I'm hoping to have it ready to rent in a few weeks.

If you need enough to get back to Norfolk, I also have a charger at our Southern Shores house.

Reactions: martinicus
Having made the annual trip to OBX and the last three in or S60, here are a couple of chargers on or around OBX.
Just before you get to the bridge Rte 12 there is garage on the left (see destination Map ) that has a 40 amp line out side that I have use on a return trip. It may be 5 miles form the visitors center as you get onto the island.
Going down Rte 12 the next chargers are at the Tangiers mall (right side of road) just before you get to the Manteo causeway. There is a B&B on Manteo ( see destination map ) that has a Teals charger his are either 40 or 60 amps. I sure John will let you pick up a few KW's just ask before going.

Next Tesla charger is at the Inn on Pamlico sound in Frisco. I charge up at the Inn if I need a quick pick up, you also have a couple of chargers at a couple of restaurant in Duck( they may be plug share). Last resort check with the camp grounds on the Island. I don't use them, the want you to rent a pad for the day, you may need $10.00 worth of juice but they want to hit you for $50.00.

Last year I only had access to a 110 line charge at 4MPH. So you will get 40 to 60 mile per day. The year before we had a pool outlet that gave me 5 to 6 MPH. Had dinner at the inn and charge the car at the same time.

I have been talking to real estate companies to get them to have the owners of rental homes that they rep install 220 lines. ( to date no success ). If all the guys that head to the outer banks with their Tesla's get together one day we may even get some press, and some owners will add that 220 line.

• Informative
Reactions: Lanny
All,

Keep in mind here most restaurants, hotels, breweries, etc in the area would qualify for free chargers through the destination charging program. If you visit any locations down there be sure to spread the word. There is no advertising for the program so we have to spread the word! Safe travels!

Reactions: swengl
All,

Keep in mind here most restaurants, hotels, breweries, etc in the area would qualify for free chargers through the destination charging program. If you visit any locations down there be sure to spread the word. There is no advertising for the program so we have to spread the word! Safe travels!

It's not free if the restaurant has to pay for the wiring which can be several times the cost of a $500 charger. That's been the sticking point from the people I've spoken to about it.

Don't the rental houses have 240 dryer outlets? I'm going to check the one we are using later this summer to see how it's situated (new house for us in Frisco). If you rent a house, I'd think that would be the best bet.

Definitely hope we can use that when we have a car next year!

It's not free if the restaurant has to pay for the wiring which can be several times the cost of a $500 charger. That's been the sticking point from the people I've spoken to about it.
Can see the point for a restaurant. For a B&B where one or two clients may pay for the installation, it's one thing. But it takes a lot of meals to make up for $1000 or so!

Who have you spoke with about it? If the location qualifies with Tesla they get $1500 in installation assistance PER charger. Most locations get this. If they didn't qualify for install money it must have been a tiny deli or coffee shop with low volume.

• Informative
Reactions: swengl and boaterva
Last I checked the couple of Tesla destination chargers were installed on OBX at no cost to the B & B's.
I have tried to get the real estate company's to encourage rental unit owners run a 220 line to the parking spots under the house.
No luck as of today,

The Roanoke Island Inn and The Inn on Pamlico Sound have Tesla chargers. When I first drove to Frisco with the 60 The Inn on Pamlico Sound put in a 220 liner me so that I can charge up at the Inn. I know a number of Tesla owners make the trip to OBX and charge at the Inn. If I don't stay at the Inn we make it a point always to have dinner at the Inn and thank Steve for the chargers. The destination charger at the Inn has made the run to the Outer Banks a joy.

Maybe one day we could have a meet-up at the light house.

Did not know this. That would pay for most installs !
Exactly. I have assisted with a dozen or so installs and the only one the location had to pay out of pocket was the Hyatt at 27th St in Virginia Beach and it was roughly $2500 because they wanted it in a specific area that was more expensive. This was after they were given chargers and a few thousand in installation money so it wasn't a bad deal.

Reactions: boaterva
Who have you spoke with about it? If the location qualifies with Tesla they get $1500 in installation assistance PER charger. Most locations get this. If they didn't qualify for install money it must have been a tiny deli or coffee shop with low volume.

Outer Banks Brewing Station owner. If the program has changed, I'll let him know. They said they'd talked about doing it, but when install wasn't included, they dropped it. They have a huge place with tons of parking and are Windmill powered, so it's a natural fit. I'd imagine running a line out to where the charger would be would cost a bit more than $1500 though.

I also know owners of Bonzer Shack, Tortugas Lie, Blue Point, Red Sky, Red Drum, and Roadside Grill, so I'll bring it up next time I run into any of them.

Reactions: BigD0g