Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in sidewall - repair/replace? SC or 3rd party?

Repair/Replace

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks -

Just looking for advice ... I have a nail in my sidewall - which most places are reccomending replace tire.

Anyone have success getting a single tire replaced from a place like Mavis Discount Tire, Costco, etc?

This is on a '18 Model X ... not even 13K miles on it yet.

See attachment for picture.

Adivce, appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181025_084449.jpg
    20181025_084449.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 283
Thats unfortunate, its a replace only due to flexing. Imagine going 45mph and that tire is moved to the front going into an offramp, your gonna be in the bushes for sure. No responsible tire store will fix that anywhere. I also suggest SC because the tire will hopefully be the EXACT type tire to match the other three if they are original. I hate this myself, but its reality. Also unless I take the tire off, I would never take my TESLA to tire shop. Now I drive a Model S so jacking and racking are real touchy. I have not investigated Model X jacking. Now one small nail turns into damaged car or battery. Just not worth it really

Reactions: AxeBro
A good quality tire shop will have no problem with a Tesla. Tesla has jack points just like any other car. Nothing at all special about them. As a Lotus owner and previous Corvette owner (Body flex if jacked wrong,) you learn the best ones to go to. Just avoid the "Bob's Used Tires" type places.

Thanks everyone ... I ended up bringing to SC. I am going to be driving in horrible weather for a long stretch tomorrow, whole family in tow. just don't wat to risk it.

The good thing is that they said they'll take off the labor cost. Also, he did say I cna buy it form TireRack, or whereever and they'd charge $30-$50 to install.

I figured SC so that I know I have a 100% matched tired. Sucks to get only 12,500 miles out of a tire, but safety is more important than the cost of a tire. Urgh if i had the room, i'd buy one for front and back spares and just keep in the garage.

Reactions: 365gtb4
Thanks everyone ... I ended up bringing to SC. I am going to be driving in horrible weather for a long stretch tomorrow, whole family in tow. just don't wat to risk it.

The good thing is that they said they'll take off the labor cost. Also, he did say I cna buy it form TireRack, or whereever and they'd charge $30-$50 to install.

I figured SC so that I know I have a 100% matched tired. Sucks to get only 12,500 miles out of a tire, but safety is more important than the cost of a tire. Urgh if i had the room, i'd buy one for front and back spares and just keep in the garage.

That's good. Big believer myself in road hazard protection. Many retailers like TireRack include it free. Tire and Wheel protection can also be well worth the typical, $250-$500 cost especially if you live in a bad road area of the nation like down here in Orlando. Pot holes, construction everywhere and lots of high curves.

That's good. Big believer myself in road hazard protection. Many retailers like TireRack include it free. Tire and Wheel protection can also be well worth the typical, $250-$500 cost especially if you live in a bad road area of the nation like down here in Orlando. Pot holes, construction everywhere and lots of high curves.

Yeah - i normally get my tires from Costco.. will probably transition to that eventually.

Does Tire and Wheel protection cover road rash? That I would LOVE!

At least you had a low mile tire. I had a similar occurrence, but with about 20,000 miles on it. I had to replace ALL FOUR tires, because the difference between the tires was too great. Very expensive nail!

Almost exactly that.

Hopefully some breakthrough in tirs comes up before my replacement. I remember my parents used to spend about $400 on their car. My minivan clocks in at $700ish... $1600 is a WHOLE lot - esp because i feel like the tires will not last that long given the hard acceleration/cornering that's bound to happen.

Glad you were able to get it fixed already. Depending on where you live, many tires stores don't stock the Tesla tires since they are irregular sizes and make you special order them. Tesla service centers typically have them in stock so it's a faster turn around. When I replaced my two rear tires this spring they charged $350 per tire + $100 labor.

Hopefully some breakthrough in tirs comes up before my replacement. I remember my parents used to spend about $400 on their car. My minivan clocks in at $700ish... $1600 is a WHOLE lot - esp because i feel like the tires will not last that long given the hard acceleration/cornering that's bound to happen.
with 12,500 miles i would be surprised to only replace one... tesla is hard on tires and since the X is staggered you need no directional tires so at least you can rotate side to side.

At least you had a low mile tire. I had a similar occurrence, but with about 20,000 miles on it. I had to replace ALL FOUR tires, because the difference between the tires was too great. Very expensive nail!
you never have to replace four, only in a pair in that case, however at 20,000 miles you were due for a new set anyway...

I was in similar situation and chose America's Tires... as they provide road hazard insurance... found exactly same tire there too for a bit cheaper price than at SC. That sucks that Tesla doesn't offer road hazard insurance with tires they sell :(

you never have to replace four, only in a pair in that case, however at 20,000 miles you were due for a new set anyway...

Nope. Would not sell me one or two, only four. Apparently all four tires must be within a certain range of each other (I forget the number, but something like +/- .03). This was my older Model S w 19-inch wheels. I was hoping to get another 8-10K out of them. But it worked out, at least I did not have to buy another set before I turned the car in. Just not on my schedule.

Glad you were able to get it fixed already. Depending on where you live, many tires stores don't stock the Tesla tires since they are irregular sizes and make you special order them. Tesla service centers typically have them in stock so it's a faster turn around. When I replaced my two rear tires this spring they charged $350 per tire + $100 labor.

Yah that's what I figured... couldn't afford to NOT have the car.. tomorrow and the next day.

I was in similar situation and chose America's Tires... as they provide road hazard insurance... found exactly same tire there too for a bit cheaper price than at SC. That sucks that Tesla doesn't offer road hazard insurance with tires they sell :(

you can drive over to America’s tire with a newly installed tire and they will sell you the road hazard insurance.