Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in sidewall - repair/replace? SC or 3rd party?

Repair/Replace

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a nail on the tire last week. SC said it is too close to the tire wall and has to be replaced.

They quote me $350 + $50 labor. The same tire on tirerack (Continential Cross Contact LX Sport 275/45 R20 110V) is listed $288.84. Ask them if they will match it or if I can bring in the new tire myself to install. They said no to both. :(

My tire only has 5500 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMAG0752.jpg
    IMAG0752.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 125
Got a nail on the tire last week. SC said it is too close to the tire wall and has to be replaced.

They quote me $350 + $50 labor. The same tire on tirerack (Continential Cross Contact LX Sport 275/45 R20 110V) is listed $288.84. Ask them if they will match it or if I can bring in the new tire myself to install. They said no to both. :(

wow crazy... that almost looks like it's in the flat part. Mine actually offered to remove the labor fee and even said if i buy it online, they'd install it.

I’d just plug that myself...

Pretty soon, they won’t patch any holes. Replace only. Safest. No liability.

Man at 12.5k miles, for the X you may have already run through half the tire life. I only had 21k miles on mine and needed to replace the rear tires, so I replaced all 4

I would recommend 3rd party. I went to Discount Tire and replaced all 4 of my tires with Pirelli Verde All Season Plus for $900 total, no issues and I’d do this again over stock tires if you’re not looking for best performance possible. Range has taken about a 5% hit though. I think others tried continental dws06 or something like that and were really happy, so something to consider... your tires don’t have to cost $1700 to replace every 2 years...

Man at only 5500 miles, just had to say sorry. Didn’t get much life out of i...sorry!!

Hi folks -

Just looking for advice ... I have a nail in my sidewall - which most places are reccomending replace tire.

Anyone have success getting a single tire replaced from a place like Mavis Discount Tire, Costco, etc?

This is on a '18 Model X ... not even 13K miles on it yet.

See attachment for picture.

Adivce, appreciated!

Thanks!
I had same issue within a week of new delivery- first nail in many years. Replace. SC will match best price found. SC claimed no markup and I could not find same tire in stock or delivered for less (SC had in stick). They also added a goodwill additional discount. I would not try to save twenty dollars - tesla tires are different but sound like generic model (Eagle RS-A) and most shops have no idea, e.g. foam inner band. When SC scratched my powder coated wheel they replaced it no questions and gave another credit for the trouble their error caused. Stick with SC and ensure it is done correctly. Last point-if other treads are low you may be advised to replace all 4 especially if AWD. Good luck.

I had same issue within a week of new delivery- first nail in many years. Replace. SC will match best price found. SC claimed no markup and I could not find same tire in stock or delivered for less (SC had in stick). They also added a goodwill additional discount. I would not try to save twenty dollars - tesla tires are different but sound like generic model (Eagle RS-A) and most shops have no idea, e.g. foam inner band. When SC scratched my powder coated wheel they replaced it no questions and gave another credit for the trouble their error caused. Stick with SC and ensure it is done correctly. Last point-if other treads are low you may be advised to replace all 4 especially if AWD. Good luck.

See, thats where the rubber meets the road, pun intended. Its a more expensive proposition to have Tesla do anything, we all know this.

If they damage anything though, they replace it, fix it, whatever the case. These cars are expensive, you already paid a lot of money for them high 5 and 6 figure cars here.

Why would you risk going to some other place to save a few bucks? "Penny wise and Pound Foolish" is a phrase I was raised with. I finally looked up the meaning today after all these years.

For a few pennies saved at all these other places including Costco, its just not worth the headache of possible damage to anything.

Reactions: DCGOO
Hi folks -

Just looking for advice ... I have a nail in my sidewall - which most places are reccomending replace tire.

Anyone have success getting a single tire replaced from a place like Mavis Discount Tire, Costco, etc?

This is on a '18 Model X ... not even 13K miles on it yet.

See attachment for picture.

Adivce, appreciated!

Thanks!

I've plugged and patched many Model X 20/22 and non-Model X tires. Sidewall puncture = replace tire. That's one thing I won't even attempt to repair.

I haven't seen any SC's that are willing to repair a tire so far. But I've repaired several in that approximate location. Including one on my own that saw another 20,000 miles after repair.

Reactions: brkaus
Had a nail in my rear tire. Flat developed while parked in garage at home.
Pretty much center of the tire.
SC sent out a tow driver to the house to swap it out with a loaner tire. He brought the flat tire back to the SC. SC fixed the tire at no cost (quoted me $50 but charged $0 on invoice - "goodwill") and the Mobile Ranger, Mike, came to the office with the repaired tire and put it on! He also did a look-over of the car with me (4000 miles in) and adjusted one of the FWDs so it sits perfectly flush and ordered two trim pieces that he wasn't happy with.
All in all, awesome service from the Rocklin SC here in California. Thanks to all!

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4 and Yinn
you can drive over to America’s tire with a newly installed tire and they will sell you the road hazard insurance.

After I took delivery of my P3D+ and got it back from my detailer's shop, I drove to America's Tire and paid about $220 for full tire warranty on the OEM Michelin tires. These are special Tesla TO tires with Acoustic Technology and a different mileage rating. Tire Rack lists them at about $330 each (and they are backordered). I have always come out ahead on my tires under warranty--I get free rotation and flat repair, and replacement if needed for the life of the tire.

After I took delivery of my P3D+ and got it back from my detailer's shop, I drove to America's Tire and paid about $220 for full tire warranty on the OEM Michelin tires. These are special Tesla TO tires with Acoustic Technology and a different mileage rating. Tire Rack lists them at about $330 each (and they are backordered). I have always come out ahead on my tires under warranty--I get free rotation and flat repair, and replacement if needed for the life of the tire.

$230 total / $56 per tire for the certificate. If one gets a road hazard replacement tire, it is required to purchase the certificate on the replacement.

$330 per tire.

If one tire is damaged in the first month, and no other issues for the life of the tires.

$230 + $56 = $286 cost for the free tire. Savings of $45.

I’ve definitely used a few certificates, but over all the years I’d have a hard time saying I saved money.

I’ve had many sets that had no issues. But Tesla tires are more likely with the heavy car and narrow sidewalls.

$230 total / $56 per tire for the certificate. If one gets a road hazard replacement tire, it is required to purchase the certificate on the replacement.

$330 per tire.

If one tire is damaged in the first month, and no other issues for the life of the tires.

$230 + $56 = $286 cost for the free tire. Savings of $45.

I’ve definitely used a few certificates, but over all the years I’d have a hard time saying I saved money.

I’ve had many sets that had no issues. But Tesla tires are more likely with the heavy car and narrow sidewalls.

Yup--everyone has a different experience and calculus. Did you add in the free rotations, balancing and repairs? Yes, YMMV.

Nope. Would not sell me one or two, only four. Apparently all four tires must be within a certain range of each other (I forget the number, but something like +/- .03). This was my older Model S w 19-inch wheels. I was hoping to get another 8-10K out of them. But it worked out, at least I did not have to buy another set before I turned the car in. Just not on my schedule.

I'm pretty sure they ripped you off. AWD on a Tesla isn't like AWD on a traditional ICE car, where a single drive train powers all four wheels with a limited-slip differential between them. Teslas have independent drive motors on the front and rear. The tolerance for variation between the front and rear wheels should, therefore, be literally unlimited, just as if the car were FWD or RWD. There's absolutely no sane reason why you would ever need to replace more than a single pair.

In the past two weeks we've had two nail in the sidewall incidents with our Model X. First hit tire that was factory supplied and had 14,000 miles on it. Second nail hit new tire that was purchased at service center to replace it (no road hazard.) Lesson learned, get tires from reputable location that provides a road hazard plan. Normally, I would have replaced the X tires at Costco, but car was in for annual and getting annual with a wheel alignment at the time nail was discovered and I didn't want ot go through rescheduling the needed alignment.

Note about the tires used on Model X: The tires Tesla uses have a foam liner on them (SC stated that was for road noise reduction). When replacing tires you may wish to take that into consideration. Your tire dealer should be able to match by tire model if you wish to ensure consistency.