Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in the tire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I got a nail on the side wall of model Y rear passenger side tire. It's on the side wall and half inside. But the air pressure is intact so far (Been around 5 hours since it happened).

Any suggestions? Or Do I Have to replace the tire? Just got the car less than month ago.

Attachments

• E0B14350-896A-4DB2-B141-0C42C4AD2A8B.jpeg
    E0B14350-896A-4DB2-B141-0C42C4AD2A8B.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 248
  • AA8DD20C-6381-4CD9-9E62-4E99D7271969.jpeg
    AA8DD20C-6381-4CD9-9E62-4E99D7271969.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 169
It's a screw, not a nail. If it penetrated the tire that can't be repaired. If it didn't penetrate the tire you may have gotten lucky. Do you have any way to jack up the car and take the tire off? If so I'd jack up the car and try to take the screw out. If there is no loss in pressure you are probably okay. If there is loss in pressure take the tire to a tire shop and get a replacement and remount it on the car.

I had this exact same thing happen on my car within the first week or so I owned it. I knew I picked up the screw just a block from my house. I didn't have a jack yet, so I put some blocking under the jack point and unscrewed the screw. No leaking. Have 3 thousand miles on the tire and no pressure loss.

How long is the screw? Are you sure it pierced the tire? If you wiggle it around or back it out a bit do you hear air escaping?

No tire shop will patch that given the location of the puncture. So yeah, you either need to plug it yourself and hope for the best or get a new tire.

How long is the screw? Are you sure it pierced the tire? If you wiggle it around or back it out a bit do you hear air escaping?

No tire shop will patch that given the location of the puncture. So yeah, you either need to plug it yourself and hope for the best or get a new tire.

I tried putting water on that spot and tried to take the screw out and it did have air bubbles and did make air leaking noise and I put it right back in. Car's in the garage since then and I too believe I have to get a new tire since it's hit at that spot. It's the freaking construction that's happening in my block and noone to take responsibility for it.

It's a screw, not a nail. If it penetrated the tire that can't be repaired. If it didn't penetrate the tire you may have gotten lucky. Do you have any way to jack up the car and take the tire off? If so I'd jack up the car and try to take the screw out. If there is no loss in pressure you are probably okay. If there is loss in pressure take the tire to a tire shop and get a replacement and remount it on the car.

I had this exact same thing happen on my car within the first week or so I owned it. I knew I picked up the screw just a block from my house. I didn't have a jack yet, so I put some blocking under the jack point and unscrewed the screw. No leaking. Have 3 thousand miles on the tire and no pressure loss.

Thanks for you reply. It did make the air leaking noise so I guess I'm "screwed" after all

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Happened to me while driving in the freeway and had to exit, parked at some 'unsafe' hood and waited for either AAA or Tesla service, whichever comes first. After four hours, where tire shops are already closed, I had no choice but to have Tesla service truck replace the tire. Drove home and the next day, went to the service center and asked if the tire can be repaired since it is less than 4k miles and the hole is in the middle. Nope, business is business, less work and more profit for Tesla to have my tire replaced for $450+. Better if you can get the tire from your local tire shops with warranty.

Happened to me while driving in the freeway and had to exit, parked at some 'unsafe' hood and waited for either AAA or Tesla service, whichever comes first. After four hours, where tire shops are already closed, I had no choice but to have Tesla service truck replace the tire. Drove home and the next day, went to the service center and asked if the tire can be repaired since it is less than 4k miles and the hole is in the middle. Nope, business is business, less work and more profit for Tesla to have my tire replaced for $450+. Better if you can get the tire from your local tire shops with warranty.
You don't have to use Tesla for tires, there is nothing special about them and the service centre won't be competitive on tire work, as any dealer. Why didn't you just take your damaged tire/wheel to a local tire shop and save the $$$?

You don't have to use Tesla for tires, there is nothing special about them and the service centre won't be competitive on tire work, as any dealer. Why didn't you just take your damaged tire/wheel to a local tire shop and save the $$$?
I asked but I can't get my tire from Tesla service center and have it repaired by a local shop. And it took two days since they can't find my tire and they were working with the Tow truck driver to figure out where my tire got dropped off. It was just a bad experience. Lesson learned so I bought a floor jack, ryobi tire inflator, another 12v tire inflator, tire plugs, breaker bar, etc. and all stored in the frunk.

I asked but I can't get my tire from Tesla service center and have it repaired by a local shop. And it took two days since they can't find my tire and they were working with the Tow truck driver to figure out where my tire got dropped off. It was just a bad experience. Lesson learned so I bought a floor jack, ryobi tire inflator, another 12v tire inflator, tire plugs, breaker bar, etc. and all stored in the frunk.
IMG_7590.jpg

So my learning from tire plugs was that once I plugged it, no one would touch it. I had a diy plug that leaked and thought I’d get it fixed properly with the patch on the inside. No major chain would touch it. I finally just replugged it.
You don't need a "major chain" tire place to do the work. There are competent wheel/tire shops throughout DFW, Austin, Waco, San Antonio, etc. (not always in the safest neighborhoods!) Find a good one, they can take care of you. I've done this twice, on a Leaf and an Avalon. Nothing special about replacing a diy plug, since the tire should be removed and a plug/patch should be used anyway!

The warranty is basically insurance. They are making money off of it. Sure, some people “win” but the majority loose or they wouldn’t offer it.
Sure. With how much I drive (>35,000 miles) each year I’d rather have peace of mind that the tire will be replaced no matter what. Also not the first time I have had something in the sidewall.