Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire šŸ¤¬ is it repairable?

Is this repairable?

• Yes patchable

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • No need new tire

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Drive car into lake get new car

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
What do you think about the location? Too close to sidewall? I just got the wheels and tires 3,000 miles ago! I'm really bummed about this. Losing about 1 psi per day.
PXL_20221219_205952772~2.jpg

Thatā€™s rough!

When I clicked into the thread, my first thought was ā€œif you have to ask, the answer is probably ā€˜no.ā€™ā€ My first thought was unfortunately correct; you arenā€™t likely to find a shop willing to repair it. I worked at Firestone twenty years ago during high school, and I was trained that anything outside the outer groove wasnā€™t repairable. Thatā€™s far outside of that groove.

You could plug the tire and see what happens. If you keep the tire closer to the max pressure to limit sidewall flex, it might hold up just fine. Or it might not and leave you stranded. It depends on your level of risk tolerance. If you have working TPMS and can live with risking a tow if it fails suddenly, I say go for it.

Not patchable if you go to a shop that has legal concerns.

Completely patchable though, and will not fail for the life of the tire if you DIY it. (As long as it's a clean circular puncture and the tire isn't ripped up or anything)

I say this as someone that wouldn't patch that under my business name, but would if it was a cash job, off the books. Patches *rarely* fail - I've never read a story of it happening.

I've plugged several tires myself. Normal punctures. Never had an issue.
I don't know much about patches. I assume a patch that's on the sidewall can give way to centrifugal force, so shops only approve patches directly on the treadwall. I feel like plugs don't have as much of an issue with that, so for borderline punctures, I would recommend plugging vs patching. Just my two sats.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Echoing others that a shop will not do it when that close to the sidewall, but I've patched one there myself and it held up fine. I only wanted to add that by patch I think everyone here means taking the tire off the car and doing a plug patch. I believe the internal spray patches are only for emergency temporary use and shouldn't be used here for an intended long term fix.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yeah, the actual correct term is a "patch plug," since you drill out the hole, then patch it from the inside, feeding a plug through to the outside.

I will RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE with some of the posts.

I can only go by the picture the OP sent.

IF and ONLY IF, it is not penetrating the sidewall.....GO FOR IT.

IF it is penetrating the sidewall replace the tire....and the other side depending on mileage.