Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire, 19" Continental Tires!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed some flapping sound when driving my MR3. I checked the tires and noted that the rear tire has a nail in it. I checked the tire pressure on the screen and it seems to not be leaking any air. Is this repairable, considering the location of the nail? Or, replacement needed?

Attachments

• IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 538
Two issues. First you will need to see if the nail has indeed punctured the tire. Sometimes it is just a short roofing nail that will not penetrate all the way in.

Repairs usually entail taking the tire off the rim and inserting, from the inside, a special plug with an adhesive glob to effect a long lasting seal. The glob will not stick to the quieting foam, so it will need to be totally removed at that spot and ground down to the bare rubber with a powered burr. Then they will ream out the hole with a calibrated sizer to make the best possible repair...good as new. (almost)

Some places like Discount tire will do repairs for free, otherwise expect $20-30 for the repair (still totally worth it)

Two issues. First you will need to see if the nail has indeed punctured the tire. Sometimes it is just a short roofing nail that will not penetrate all the way in.

Repairs usually entail taking the tire off the rim and inserting, from the inside, a special plug with an adhesive glob to effect a long lasting seal. The glob will not stick to the quieting foam, so it will need to be totally removed at that spot and ground down to the bare rubber with a powered burr. Then they will ream out the hole with a calibrated sizer to make the best possible repair...good as new. (almost)

Some places like Discount tire will do repairs for free, otherwise expect $20-30 for the repair (still totally worth it)
Tesla wanted like $54 or 52. the valve stem seal also had to be replaced, so now i have one that is a different color than the others, but discount patched it for free. I had an error when they were done and i took it back and they reset all the sensors while the car was on which cleared the service light a few miles fires the road when i did a hard acceleration.

Totally repairable and usually becomes as good as before. I had a nail in my tire get plugged, refilled with nitrogen and mounted back for $12 at Costco.

I've heard some shops might not know what to do about the foam on the inside but they can just peel it back to patch the hole then glue it back or just cut it off. It's only there for some noise insulation.