Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire... SC said it will take $50 to patch it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a nail in the right rear tire, and brought it to Costco but they won't have appointments available until 10 days later... So I took it to Trusted Tire and Services which I normally go to for my wife's Lexus. They don't charge for patching, but after looking at the tires they said they can't handle the foam tires and I have to bring it to the dealer...

Contacted SC and they said it will take $50 to patch the tire! That sounds like a rip off unless the work is 5 times harder than I thought... Does anyone know places that can handle foam tires at a cheaper price?

So I got a nail in the right rear tire, and brought it to Costco but they won't have appointments available until 10 days later... So I took it to Trusted Tire and Services which I normally go to for my wife's Lexus. They don't charge for patching, but after looking at the tires they said they can't handle the foam tires and I have to bring it to the dealer...

Contacted SC and they said it will take $50 to patch the tire! That sounds like a rip off unless the work is 5 times harder than I thought... Does anyone know places that can handle foam tires at a cheaper price?

Did you buy the tire at Costco? They do take walk-ins, it just takes forever.

As for Tesla. It wasn't until recently that Tesla started patching tires. It was a lot more expensive when the only Service Center solution was to replace the tire (or two)

Did you buy the tire at Costco? They do take walk-ins, it just takes forever.

As for Tesla. It wasn't until recently that Tesla started patching tires. It was a lot more expensive when the only Service Center solution was to replace the tire (or two)
What? That's rediculous.... no I didn't get the tires from Costco and they charge $10.99 for the service, but I can live with that... Coz I thought a tire can be patched 3 times and that's <$35, while for the SC solution it will cost $150... but still, if replacing the tire is the only option then it will be simply crazy...

What? That's rediculous.... no I didn't get the tires from Costco and they charge $10.99 for the service, but I can live with that... Coz I thought a tire can be patched 3 times and that's <$35, while for the SC solution it will cost $150... but still, if replacing the tire is the only option then it will be simply crazy...
Yup.

Which is why it should be celebrated that Tesla has reversed on this former policy and now patches tires.

It's a bigger challenge with Roadsters, especially earlier ones, as there are no good places to jack the car up.

However, go ahead and read the previous two posters... They have an opinion on the cost.

The foam tires require removing and re-adhering the foam in order to patch it. I'd say $50 is probably a fair assessment at the posted $150/hr labor rate.

Tire stores fix flats for less than their cost or for free to keep you as a customer or for goodwill so you come back and buy tires from them the next time you need them. $50 is reasonable.

Try contacting America's Tire Store at 2915 Bristol St in Costa Mesa. They're right on the other side of the 55 freeway from the Costa Mesa service center, and supposedly get a lot of Tesla's in. I purchased tire certificates from them after reading suggestions on TMC.

I own an S, not an X. But I have first hand experience. I had a slow leak recently. Flat tire on a workday morning. I have Goodyear Eagle foam inset tires (19"). I call SC to ask for options. They send a truck with a spare, take off my flat one and install the loaner, take my tire and wheel with them, patch it themselves, and put it back on my car, taking their loaner wheel back. Total cost $40.

The foam tires require removing and re-adhering the foam in order to patch it. I'd say $50 is probably a fair assessment at the posted $150/hr labor rate.

Tire stores fix flats for less than their cost or for free to keep you as a customer or for goodwill so you come back and buy tires from them the next time you need them. $50 is reasonable.

Yup.

Which is why it should be celebrated that Tesla has reversed on this former policy and now patches tires.

It's a bigger challenge with Roadsters, especially earlier ones, as there are no good places to jack the car up.

However, go ahead and read the previous two posters... They have an opinion on the cost.

When you're dealing with a car that's different in so many ways - and mechanics can break it by jacking it incorrectly - I think fifty bucks is worth it.

Same thing happened to me and Tesla charged me CD$80 for two patches in the same tire. Remember, a dealer always charges more for everything, so US$50 sounds reasonable. You can't expect them to do it for free.

Yeah for $150 hourly labor it's not too expensive... I would look around for cheaper options and definitely try the America Tire place as well.
$50 per patch is not too bad, unless if we get it often:(

I own an S, not an X. But I have first hand experience. I had a slow leak recently. Flat tire on a workday morning. I have Goodyear Eagle foam inset tires (19"). I call SC to ask for options. They send a truck with a spare, take off my flat one and install the loaner, take my tire and wheel with them, patch it themselves, and put it back on my car, taking their loaner wheel back. Total cost $40.
That actually sounds ok... where are you located?

Americas Tire.

Try contacting America's Tire Store at 2915 Bristol St in Costa Mesa. They're right on the other side of the 55 freeway from the Costa Mesa service center, and supposedly get a lot of Tesla's in. I purchased tire certificates from them after reading suggestions on TMC.

Called them and they said they don't do it, and they also explained why. They told me that under the foam there is a layer of silicon seal which is hard to remove and clean, that's why the only option is to replace the tire (obviously they don't know SC can do patching now).