Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire... SC said it will take $50 to patch it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a plug kit is ok to carry but it could be that it would be useless in many circumstances. if the puncture is anywhere but the middle of tread area the tire may not be able to be plugged with that kit
You can plug almost anything in an emergency situation. It might not last very long but if gets you out of a remote location, that's all that matters.

Even if you don't carry a spare, a tire pump is a good idea. All my flats in the last 30 years have been nails, which act a reasonably good plugs if you don't take them out - and then stop to pump the tire up when it gets too low on the way to the repair shop.

From a previous post's recommendation I purchased a Kensun AC/DC tire pump at Amazon, $60, and I am very pleased with it. It has come in handy a couple of times both for me and others I was lucky to be able to help.

A bicycle pump would be lighter, less expensive and a lot more work.

I've, unluckily, had 2 tire failures. First was piece of someone else's rim going though center of rear 21" staggered tire causing blow out at 40+ mph at ~1 month old, second was nail though front right 21" at 7 months.

Each time the tire had to be replaced. Zero chance the first could be patched, second could have been though SC said not able to. So definitely a lot more than $50 ;-)

I have to say Tesla roadside assistance was exemplary. Both times they had me ensure the car was somewhere safe and got me an Uber home each of the evenings. Car was ready next day and SC kept me informed. Couldn't have asked for better.
I agree about all of my experiences with Roadside Assistance so far. They have been great. I really hope they keep this up, and can. For now, I'm attempting to get a spare and self plug kit so I don't have to contact them as much.

Reactions: MikeBur
I agree about all of my experiences with Roadside Assistance so far. They have been great. I really hope they keep this up, and can. For now, I'm attempting to get a spare and self plug kit so I don't have to contact them as much.
If you find a reasonable self-help plug kit, can you post details please? That tesla gunk with the compressor a) doesn't work and b) destroys the tire

Consider yourself lucky that it wasn't in the sidewall like a nail was in mine. The Contisilent tire is unique to Tesla, a PITA to make and because of low volumes (I assume) it is crazy expensive to replace. $368 (all in) at Discount Tire. Only good news is, they say they will do repairs for free, in spite of the added difficulty of dealing with this tire.

I had to get a patch for a nail from a local tire shop (didn't know that service center handled this kind of thing). They did a good job and rebalanced the tire but did NOT replace the foam. Now the car shakes a little at high speeds (above 70). Any advice on what I could do now?